1991 Kawi 650 appropriate for a youth racing hull?

My 14 year old wants to race IJSBA this year. He has a bone stock Kawi 650 that he seems to have a good handle on. He has been riding an HX for 3 years and this one for over a year. He wants to start racing this year. Is this hull an acceptable starting place for getting him into the game?

Doug

+1

If you want to go racing then yes.

If you want to go racing, and the hull is legal for the class you want to compete in, then get on out there and start racing. However, you didn't say anything about wanting to race competitively. If you are talking about a 650SX stand up, I think (stress think) there are more competitive hulls to start with. Group K has very good technical info to dig through but when I read it myself, I conclude the 650 Kawasaki stand up hull to be a reliable, fun hull, but maybe a little wide/heavy to be a completely competitive racer. Would love to hear from some more experienced Kawasaki stand up folks on this.

Quote Originally Posted by DigDug15 View Post
    My 14 year old wants to race IJSBA this year. He has a bone stock Kawi 650 that he seems to have a good handle on. He has been riding an HX for 3 years and this one for over a year. He wants to start racing this year. Is this hull an acceptable starting place for getting him into the game?

Doug

+1
    Hello DigDoug15, Welcome to the Hulk. Outstanding that your son wants to take up IJSBA racing. You did not say where it is that you live. I know of many young & some new racers that would gladly help with some pointers & insight. Get back to us.

+1
    Actually the hx would be a great ski to start racing.

Yes, the HX is his preferred ride, but as I read the rule book he can't ride in Sport Class until he is 16. Hence the Kawi. It looks like the the 14-15 age bracket is only able to run stock skis, which makes it a little cheaper on me to find out if this is something he wants to spend his time/money on. (With Surfing, Wakeboarding, riding, Boy Scouts, and oh yea, academics, there isn't a whole lot of time.) We live on the water in Perdido Key FL, which is near the AL line, so he can ride just about daily year round (was out there briefly today.)

Doug

digdug im in mobile and have tons of race exp
    pm me your # and maybe we can get togather
    jason

Thread Information