Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Kawasaki 750 Xi Sport - Cuts on WOT please help

Hi There,

I recently bought my first jetski, a 1998 Kawasaki 750 Xi Sport. Had one good run from it, then realised there was a problem with the jet unit. I opened it up to find twisted metal and semi-lunar shapes that would once have been called bearings... Anyway, I've put in a new jetunit (cheaper than having the bearings/shaft and vein/impellor replaced - they were beyond gone).

New issue...

The jetski cuts out completely at wide open throttle. It idles beautifully. You can quickly rev it high and it's fine. However, if you hold the lever down for 1-2 seconds, it dies. I've done a bit of reading and I think it's pointing to a fuel issue?

I should note that it has new plugs, carbs cleaned, new fuel filter (that already appears to have sediment in it). One of the lines going from one carb seems to have quite a bit of white powder in it. I had sprayed some WD40 into the cyliinders before I found out it wasn't turning at the impeller, could this be the problem?

Any suggestions are welcomed. I would have removed the fuel tank by now to clean it properly, however I can't get the engine mounts undone...

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DTHNZ; 12-22-2014 at 04:00 AM.

+1
    Welcome aboard, DTHNZ!

Yep, sounds like a fuel problem. There are also fuel strainers inside the fuel tank.

How did you 'clean' the carbs? Just spraying cleaner in the carb throat doesn't do anything, they must be disassembled. The internal screens are probably plugged.

I doubt the WD-40 is the cause, but do NOT spray that crap into an engine. It does no good, and forms a sticky goo when left for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, DTHNZ!

Yep, sounds like a fuel problem. There are also fuel strainers inside the fuel tank.

How did you 'clean' the carbs? Just spraying cleaner in the carb throat doesn't do anything, they must be disassembled. The internal screens are probably plugged.

I doubt the WD-40 is the cause, but do NOT spray that crap into an engine. It does no good, and forms a sticky goo when left for any length of time.
    Hey, thanks for your quick reply.

I did remove and disassemble the carbs. Sorry, what do you mean by internal screens? Do you mean the black fabric-type covering inside them?

Is there anyway to get to the fuel strainers without removing the fuel tank?

+1
    Internal screen, part # 49019 in this drawing: http://www.powersedge.com/oemparts/a...rburetor-parts

Yes, the fuel tank pickups can be removed without removing the tank. I just removed them from my 750s and replaced them with rubber hoses of the same length. The tank strainer really isn't needed since there is an inline filter before the carbs.

When I cleaned the carbs, I did remove the valve float assemblies, however I didn't remove the internal screens. I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner down the hole where the valve float sits (as well as everywhere else), and let it rest for about 6 hours before respraying and leaving it overnight. Would that have been enough, or should I disassemble again and remove the internal screens for a proper clean (didn't realize any else came apart)?

I did figure out that the internal fuel filters can be removed. Had issues yesterday with a stripped screw on the top of the assembly, so had to hacksaw a new purchase point for a screwdriver. Got it loose yesterday so today I'll get that out and have a look.

Sometimes doing these sorts of things seems like a pain, however I'm enjoying learning about the inner workings

+1
    Were the screens clean? Clean passage underneath?

Did you replace the diaphragms?

Ok, the filters inside the fuel tank were essentially dissolved, however not blocked. I've given them a clean but they are not the problem.

I've pulled the carbs off again. The one was filled with oil?

I'm going to buy two rebuilt kits as the diaphragms seem to be misshapen and the seals are in poor condition. Will re-clean everything, rebuilt and hope for the best.

+1
    Oh, don't I know what your talking about. All stemmed form old gas. Carb cleaner barely touched it mine was so bad. Make sure you get the carbs torn all the way down. That stuff gets in everything. Check and make sure you don't have any floating around in the bottom of the tank or you will just suck it up and be back in the same boat. Mine was so bad when I got it that when I drained the tank, what was in there dried into a resin type substance. Had to actually use the shop vac to get it out. Good luck. You will love the ski when you get all that ironed out. Have fun.

I still haven't been able to sort the problem...

I fully rebuilt both carbs with Winderosa kits, and same problem...

Any suggestions? I've checked the stator and it is throwing 14V back to the battery.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    change the needles/seats?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information