+1

polaris 1050 no power

Picked up a 97' SLTX 1050, got her home and couldent get it to start, ski has no power at all. Bilge wont work, wont crank at all, display doesnt come on. Tried a known good battery (just started my GPR with it) and still nothing. We cleaned all connectors thinking well it sat for awhile this is probley it, but still got nothing, the only thing we dident clean was the ground connector on the actual motor going from the motor to the battery terminal. That we will try next.

If anyone has anything else, that would be appreicated.

Thanks,
    Arlen

+1
    What's the story on the ski? When did it last run? Been sitting long?

Okay... so battery sounds good. How old is the fuel? If it sat a long while with non-stabilized fuel, it likely needs a carb cleaning (possible rebuild).

I'm assuming it's cranking (turning over)... just not firing off.

Do you have spark? Pull one plug at a time, put the plug wire on it, ground the plug to the head and crank it over. Good a strong blue spark? (check each one)

Could be the fuel system needs priming. Did you attempt to prime the carbs when you attempted to start it? I use a squirt bottle of premix for priming. If you have good spark, priming should get it to fire off... though it might immediately die if the fuel system isn't primed or other fueling issues are present.

Does the display wake up and work?

Tons of useful Polaris info here... check it out: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    Check the circuit breaker on the box. Those sometimes fail. Check it with a meter for continuity. You can also bypass it for testing only by taking the red wire from the breaker and putting it on the red/purple terminal on the board. Also check the ground from the black terminal in the box to the motor.

+1
    No it is not cranking at all, Nothing will happen. Had my fair share of trouble shooting my GPR and now i have this one, Its kinda fun but a good start is always helpful.

Ski is old, the lady said it ran last year but theres no way, I also have a 780 with that breaker reset switch, but the 1050 does not for some reason? Anyone know? We put new fuel but just ZERO power to the ski, Cant figure it out.

+1
    Ah... okay. Can you rotate over the engine? Remove the plastic pto coupler cover and see if you can spin the engine by hand. (Removing spark plugs makes this easier too). This will confirm the engine (or jet pump) isn't seized.

Do you have power to the starter solenoid? This is likely in the ebox (though I'm not sure when Polaris took this external).

Could be a bad start button. Should be able to test those wires with a multimeter. Or if switch works, could be a bad starter solenoid.

Check your grounds too.

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen2612 View Post
    No it is not cranking at all, Nothing will happen. Had my fair share of trouble shooting my GPR and now i have this one, Its kinda fun but a good start is always helpful.

Ski is old, the lady said it ran last year but theres no way, I also have a 780 with that breaker reset switch, but the 1050 does not for some reason? Anyone know? We put new fuel but just ZERO power to the ski, Cant figure it out.
    That circuit breaker should be there. Open the box and post pics of it. We want to see the terminal board and all of the wires coming into the box.

+1
    Sounds good, Will be taking pics this weekend due to christmas and stuff. Going to try and Document the whole rebuild. Lots of salt corrosion of first glance. So i will be ordering a whole new gasket kit. Pics are coming!

Thanks for everything,
    Arlen

Did you ever solve the issue? I just picked up a 1997 SLTX 1050 and our problems sound similar?

Thanks,
    Normin

Thread Information