Thread: gelcaot

gelcaot

I wanna repair some gelcoat scratches so I can get a little ski fix over the winter. Problem is my garage is too cool by about 30 degrees. Any ideas? Can I just use the wife's blow dryer or do I need more than a few minutes?

+1
    i would wait until it warms up just to be safe

Banned User
    +1
    If its just small spots you are repairing, use a halogen work light at the appropriate distance to keep that spot warm. I have done that to force dry some paint touch ups in the past. Just don't get the light too close. Your hand will tell you how warm is too close.

+1
    Use a work light like suggested. I wouldnt use anything thats forced air such as a propane heater as it adds humidity and could potentially throw some dust particles into it.

Use a halogen light or infra-red heater. They will only heat up anything that absorbs the light and wont heat up air...

This will however limit you to a work area of only afew inches; per day/night as i would leave it on for enough time to cure.

Otherwise wait; summer is just around the corner. :P

Banned User
    +1
    A double light on a stand will warm a pretty good size area.

Work lights with halogen it is! Good ideas and thanks.

I applied it at 60 degrees and it worked. Sands out nicely after a day of set.

I know its after the fact, but hairdryers on hot work perfectly fine to cheat the weather

Thread Information