Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question seadoo lrv carb model,rebuilt motor ,still won't run right please help???

Hi Guys,I've got an lrv with a 951 carb motor,the problem I'm having is the ski was a bit tired so had the motor rebuilt,hotrod crank,new pistons,new bores,rebuilt carbs,all new fuel lines,cleaned the tank out,the list goes on and on,but it still refuses to run right!.it starts fine and seems to idle ok,although it has tried to runaway on me couple of times,the problem is on acceleration it gets to a point of speed and then runs really bad and won't accelerate unless i open the throttle right up ,even then it takes 10 seconds before it finally accelerates,but if i back of the throttle even a little,it just bogs down again.i have checked both front and rear crank seals and they are fine,fuel system is perfect as is the carbs(have tried another set as well) while running it on the hose yesterday i removed the rear spark plug lead and it made no difference,so i tried removing the plug from the motor and plugged it into the end of the lead,and there is defiantly spark there,so i refitted the spark plug and tried again,when i removed the spark plug lead again,still no difference,and the spark plug is getting quite wet,so its got fuel and spark,yet not igniting the fuel??? seems weird?? I'm no mechanic by any means ,but I'm learning as I go,from what I've read nowim leaning towards one of a few possibilities,rectifier gone bad? air/vacume leak either between the crank case halts or maybe a middle crank seal gone bad? and lastly I also read the mpem should have an earth wire running from it to the motor(is that true) any help would be really appreciated,seems to me like its getting tons of fuel into the crankcase until finally it explodes ,the ski takes off like a bat out off hell because the spark plug has finally cleared itself,but I could be wrong lol Please help??????

+1
    running away usually means an air leak, or a lean condition. If you tried two sets of carbs, and they both run the same, then it sounds like you have an air leak. did you try opening up the low speed adjusters to see if it makes a change? Are you sure the accelerator pump is working? Make sure you don't have a leak in the fuel lines, fuel baffle, or selector switch. Check you pulse line for leaks also. Check the reeds. Are you running it with the stock flame arrestor?

If you hadn't tried two sets of carbs, I would think your problem was in the low speed circuit, or the fuel pump. I'd look for a torn check valve or something like that. Or a hole in the main diaphragm. don't rule out the carbs. two sets of 951 carbs with two sets of problems wouldn't be all that surprising.

+1
    have you tried the 2 sets of carbs on another 951 powered gtx, rx or gsxl? And did they make that machine run like your LRV does currently or did it run correctly?

I am betting that the carbs are not set up properly. What state are you in?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I'd Check the fuel pump disc's on the carbs. you need to understand theses carbs to know what i'm talking about

thanks for the reply,both sets of carbs I have tried were totally rebuilt,i tried adjusting the low speed adjusters which seemed to help a little ,from 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 ,but not a lot of difference,have checked the reeds,all good,running stock flame arrestor,have by passed the fuel selector to switch to rule that one out,checked the breathers are good,checked pulse line etc,I have noticed the return line sometimes has air bubbles in it though(its a clear fuel line I hooked up to make sure it was returning)) the others are all black fuel hose,what do you mean by torn check valve? the carbs have the fuel pumps on the side of the carbs,could it possible that the crankshaft seal in the centre of the crank is leaking? why would it make no difference to the motor when I removed the rear plug lead? seems like it runs on one cylinder (front one) then after a while of holding the throttle wide open ,slowly after around 10 seconds finaly it burst into life

can you please explain more about fuel pump discs? thanks

no I haven't ,but both sets of carbs were rebuilt by a seadoo mechanic,so they've been done right

sorry Im new to the site and posted a reply below for you to read ,thanks

+1
    You shouldn't have air in your return line. after it runs for a few minutes, it should purge all the air out of the carbs and lines. You shouldn't be picking up air.

I've never seen a center crank seal go out on a 951. I'm sure it happens, and could possibly be a bad seal, or a bad install, but I don't think that's your problem. I understand it was just rebuilt, but check the compression. If its sparking but not firing on that cylinder, then it has got to be fuel or compression. Then change the plugs again just to rule that out.

The fuel pump check valves (disks) are the small round clear plastic pieces in the fuel pump. if one of these has a tear in it, you will have low and erratic fuel pressure. The black rubber pieces that hold the disks in also tear sometimes.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    re check them for proper seating, they are very easy to damage when replacing them....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information