emission control

Can it be removed, does it reduce performance? and any other gains to be made with out spending Big money on Polaris 1200 Fitch 99 genises

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

emission control

What emission control are you asking about?

Ficht engines cannot be modified for any significant power boosts. The Ficht engine management system is open loop, which means that it will NOT add fuel as air flow is improved. More air without more fuel will run the engine even more lean than stock, which is already quite lean.

Modest gains can be had (on MSX 140) by inserting a second base gasket under each cylinder, which raises port timing.

Shaving the cylinder heads can raise compression, within reason. Be sure to reinstall the coolant flow restrictors after machining the heads.

The PLANET exhaust resonators do not significantly affect exhaust flow but they do help reduce exhaust drone and overall harshness.

The main thing is to ensure the engine is in good condition internally, not worn or out of spec. And that the various sensors are working normally.

There were several improvements over the years for the red Ficht 1200 engine.

The exhaust manifold casting was revised circa 2003 to correct an exhaust flow issue which under certain conditions would burn up the rear PTO piston. The problem only affected some owners and was apparently aggravated or avoided by how the engine was used. My limited information suggests that prolonged operation just above idle speeds was not a good thing to do.

Banned User
    +1
    If you really want to mod it dump the injection and go with carbs. You might be better off buying a different machine though. I dont know of anyone who has really modded a genesis.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Sponsons, intake grate, and ride plate will be the best mods for a fuel injected Polaris !

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    modifying the emissions systems is illegal. Not that the epa will beat your door down, BUT...if you find yourself in the spotlight for whatever reason, it can get really expensive.

25 thousand bucks expensive

btw, removing catalytic converters is considered tampering

as I've said often, cheapest performance upgrade available is losing 25 pounds good for you life too!

most two strokes can be sqeezed for a bit more power, but at a cost of engine life

one possible approach on an injected ski is to replace the air temp sensor with a resistor that spoofs the engine into thinking the intake air is of a lower temp,which might provide more power, but again, it.s tampering, with small gains at large risks.

lose the weight. I do not suggest modifications except for dedicated race ski.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    modifying the emissions systems is illegal. Not that the epa will beat your door down, BUT...if you find yourself in the spotlight for whatever reason, it can get really expensive.

as I've said often, cheapest performance upgrade available is losing 25 pounds good for you life too!

most two strokes can be sqeezed for a bit more power, but at a cost of engine life

one possible approach on an injected ski is to replace the air temp sensor with a resistor that spoofs the engine into thinking the intake air is of a lower temp,which might provide more power, but again, it.s tampering, with small gains at large risks.

Would removing the whole engine and replacing it with something else be considered tampering with emissions systems?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post

Would removing the whole engine and replacing it with something else be considered tampering with emissions systems?
    I left that sticker on. Does that count?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post

its safe to assume that if the engine has it's controls in place (carb anti-tamper) as an example you would be good to go.

it takes quite an asshat to get popped for an emission tamper.

back in the day when I was involved in euro car conversions the epa folks were just slightly less arrogant then the dot inspectors. We did produce proof that the cats we used were for similar us sold cars. They didn't go that far to test the metal we used to beef up the doors buy every single number on lights and glass were recorded. Speedos were tested for accuracy.

i,d be most cautious on lake meade and powell, where trying to slip a banned two stroke on the lake might end with an impound, and if that ski was tampered, it could be used as an example.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    They can ban a 2 stroke??
    That must suck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    They can ban a 2 stroke??
    That must suck.
    they do have a ban on most two smokes. Direct injected Ficht and Orbital seadoos are ok.

No rfi's
    Last edited by K447; 12-30-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Thread Information