Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1

Your opinion please

Looking at a used Virage a few hours away so I can only go by what the seller is telling me.
    It's listed as an 02 Virage TX, but it is black and I think I can see the RAM injection sticker. I'm pretty positive it's an 01 TXI which if I recall, was labeled as a TX.

Seller stated "I can turn the motor by hand, but it binds up when you get to certain point"... "Think the crank is bent".
    He hasn't torn into it yet, but the previous owner had removed the pump and driveshaft.

My first thought is flywheel magnets. Has anyone heard of them coming off and causing the motor to bind?
    Aside from that, what else would you think? I'm finding it hard to believe the crank is bent. That is just too uncommon on a PWC, especially to the point of causing it to spin over so much then bind.

The price is right for parts alone, and I'm thinking if it has a mechanical failure then the EMM/injectors are probably still good.

Thoughts?

Banned User
    +1
    You are probably right about it being an 01. If the asking price is right I wouldnt be afraid of it.

+1
    could be the magnets or pieces of the crank bearing and piston stuck in the motor if its not the pump. Ive had both of those problems with the 1200 polaris

+1
    He is asking $500 without trailer, and it's roughly a 6hr round trip.

+1
    500 not bad, but the 6 hour trip ehhh.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    Looking at a used Virage a few hours away so I can only go by what the seller is telling me.
    It's listed as an 02 Virage TX, but it is black and I think I can see the RAM injection sticker. I'm pretty positive it's an 01 TXI which if I recall, was labeled as a TX.

Seller stated "I can turn the motor by hand, but it binds up when you get to certain point"... "Think the crank is bent".
    He hasn't torn into it yet, but the previous owner had removed the pump and driveshaft.

My first thought is flywheel magnets. Has anyone heard of them coming off and causing the motor to bind?
    Aside from that, what else would you think? I'm finding it hard to believe the crank is bent. That is just too uncommon on a PWC, especially to the point of causing it to spin over so much then bind.

The price is right for parts alone, and I'm thinking if it has a mechanical failure then the EMM/injectors are probably still good.

Thoughts?
    Assume the EMM will need to be serviced. Even if it works initially it is likely to be internally degraded and may not be reliable for very long.

Fuel Injectors tend to have long lives.

Assume Ficht flywheel and stator need to be replaced. Loose/broken flywheel magnets tend to hurt the stator.

Assume the fuel pump pressure regulator mounting needs to be reinforced (takes some time, minimal parts cost).

If it has PERC electric reverse, sometimes the motor/gearbox gets corroded. May be repairable with some fiddly internal cleaning and lubrication.

Gas spring in front hood typically needs replacement.

Replace start solenoid if original, do not wait for it to fail.

Replace fuel hoses as a precaution, evaluate oil hoses for condition.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    500 not bad, but the 6 hour trip ehhh.
    6 hour round trip is nothing. I drove to south carolina and tampa for my last 2 ski purchases.

+1
    Going to have to pass on this one. Seller isn't willing to part with the trailer it's on because he doesn't have a title. Tried to talk him into it, but no go.
    Trying to see if he will part it out, even if I have to drive down to take the parts off.

+1
    K - thanks for the info, but this would be my 4th Virage since 2007. Already in the know on all that

I figure even if the EMM needs repair, it's still worth it to have a matched set. Sets are getting harder to find.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    K - thanks for the info, but this would be my 4th Virage since 2007. Already in the know on all that

I figure even if the EMM needs repair, it's still worth it to have a matched set. Sets are getting harder to find.
    I try to frame my posts so that others who may be reading 'over my shoulder' or otherwise come across the thread much later (Google search perhaps) will find useful and correct information.

It doesn't hurt to reiterate commonly knowledge, sometimes we all forget things and reminders can sometimes help avoid moments later on

11. +1 by:

GGG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information