Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS

+1

Garmin GPS

Anybody out there using a Garmin GPS with the Bluechart G2 maps? They have a G2 update card that runs from $69 to $99 dollars and I am wondering if anyone bought this update and it's worth it or not?

Last winter for kicks & giggles, I took the unit with me when I walked all around Sandy Hook NJ from the ocean to the bay. When I got home and plotted the trail on Garmin MapSource it showed me at one point walking 20 feet out in the ocean and then well inland when I walked the beach edge the whole time. What was further discouraging was that when I plotted it on Google Earth, it was dead on where I walked. I don't know if Hurricane Sandy changed the tip of Sandy Hook or not or the Garmin G2 maps are that old. Also on a first time trip to Great Sacandaga Lake in New York last summer, the trail plot showed me at one point going across a small island which was wrong.

I'm debating whether or not to get this or purchase a Lowrance Gold Elite 4 unit which has Navionics maps.

+1
    I just ordered a GPSmap78sc which is preloaded with G2. I assume they'll be the most up to date...

We can compare data if you'd like.

+1
    If it's a new GPS, you can log onto Garmin's site and make sure you have the newest maps for free.

+1
    Thanks guys, mine's a few years old Oregon 400c. When you log into Garmin via the web or the Garmin Express program, there are no updates available unlike when I plug in my newer car Garmin units. They just refer you to purchasing the G2 update card. I was just wondering how often they update this card or not. Xspook, if yours is up-datable, please let me know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ River Rider View Post
    Xspook, if yours is up-datable, please let me know.
    Just received my GPSMap78SC and it has version BlueChart G2 v2014.0, which according to an email I received from Garmin, the most up to date version.

Last update was August 2014.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    I find that some areas are shown as land on my garmin GPS / bluechart combo. They're usually shallow area's (<2ft?) or tight passages. Aside from that, in my area the soundings and obstructions are unbelievably accurate. It depends on where the source data is taken from. In Canada Garmin uses takes the data from the Canadian hydrographic service directly, so the data they have is only as accurate as that data. I'm not sure where Garmin gets the data from in your area but given the presumably high cost of mapping water ways I would imagine its a government organization and that everyone buys and uses the same data - just interpreting and representing it differently. Also note, different devices display the information differently - for instance, my Montana 650 does not display different linetypes on charts, as the screen is small and marine navigation wasn't the primary purpose. This poses an issue because sightlines (which go over land/obstructions) split from the actual small craft routes, and the two pathes look identical whereas only one is safe.

+1
    This site is pretty cool. Click the Waterway planner tab to see very detailed marine navigation information.

http://www.waterwayguide.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ River Rider View Post
    Xspook, if yours is up-datable, please let me know.
    Just received my GPSMap78SC and it has version BlueChart G2 v2014.0, which according to an email I received from Garmin, the most up to date version.

Last update was August 2014.
    Thanks, mine says "g2i v2.51". The update card on Garmin's site says a 2013 card but not much more information. Going to call them Monday for hopefully better details befor I pluck down $99.00. I'm also going to ask them if that card can be updated in the future no charge on the web as my 2 Garmin auto units do now.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    I just ordered a G2 card for my 76csx and loaded maps at no cost last September. Not sure if it still is that way. So far it's been pretty damn accurate.

I've used it from the Secaucus free ramp up to Tarrytown and back through the Harlem river, as well as around Barnegat Bay. Have yet to be "riding" on land.

+1
    Talked to Garmin yesterday, they get updates twice a year from NOAA. The latest update just came out and will be available sometime the end of February. As I won't be out riding until April, I'll hold off ordering it for a bit.

It stinks that a $400 specialty unit doesn't come with free updates like the cheaper automotive units.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information