Need Help Quick - Starter / Solenoid Problems

So I went to start my SL 750 this morning and got nothing. First I figure it was the battery so I charged it and hooked it back up and still nothing. The solenoid will click once when you push the start button, but the starter will not turn over. If you push the start button again it will do the same thing but slowly turn over. Any thoughts? When I put it away it worked just fine. Need help soon becuase I am moving and trying to sell it. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Put a volt meter on the battery posts. Measure DC volts with battery just resting.

Then press Start button and make note of lower voltage. If battery voltage sags much below 10.5 volts then the battery is weak.

If voltage sags way below 9 volts then the battery may be too degraded and need replacement.

Other possibilities,
    Remove spark plugs, then try cranking engine. If fuel or oil liquid has flooded the engine then it cannot crank. Place a rag over the open spark plug holes to catch any liquid that may spew out.

Battery voltage stays strong, then maybe a bad connection at battery cable ends or starter cable ends. Remove and clean both ends of each cable, especially at the engine ground.

The blue Fuji engine has the stock battery ground bolt on the engine bed plate, not the actual engine. Sometimes the bolts in the bottom of the engine corrode where they attach to the bed plate. Move the engine ground cable to a location on the engine itself, such as the intake manifold stud for the PTO reeds.

I used both the orginal battery that was in it and then I used the battery from my Ranger and it did the same thing. I have turned it over by hand and it didn't have any fluid in the cylinders. The negative cable is connected actually to one of the studs on the head of the engine and is not corroded. Any other thoughts?

+1

Starter itself might need rebuilding/replacing

Quote Originally Posted by rcman989 View Post
    I used both the orginal battery that was in it and then I used the battery from my Ranger and it did the same thing. I have turned it over by hand and it didn't have any fluid in the cylinders. The negative cable is connected actually to one of the studs on the head of the engine and is not corroded. Any other thoughts?
    If every other variable has been eliminated, the starter itself could be in need of rebuilding/replacing. I will say that I had talked myself into thinking I needed a new starter on my '94 SL-750 and it really was just a bad battery. Check your battery and connections carefully as the starter is not an easy/quick fix.

Its a brand new 2015 Ranger with battery so I can see that being the issue. I will check it again tonight. Just seems like a starter isn't likely to fail before something else. Since the solenoid clicks once does this mean it is working properly?

+1
    generally, if the solenoid clicks it, it is not the problem

+1

also check the internal bendix

you can also check the starter drive under the flywheel, but if the bendix is bad, I would think it would not turn over at all, not be turning over slowly.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcman989 View Post
    Its a brand new 2015 Ranger with battery so I can see that being the issue. I will check it again tonight.

Just seems like a starter isn't likely to fail before something else. Since the solenoid clicks once does this mean it is working properly?
    Ranger?

You just need to work through some diagnostics. Does the battery voltage hold up when Start is pressed? If yes, battery may be OK.

Then start checking for voltages at each point along the path from battery to starter motor. Step by step, cable, solenoid studs, next cable. If starter motor is getting full battery voltage, continue checking the return path. Engine case, engine bed plate, negative battery cable. If the problem is electrical, it will be there somewhere.

If problem is mechanical (binding), try turning the engine over by hand on the PTO driveshaft coupler (spark plugs out). If you can turn the engine by hand then the engine and jet pump are not seized.

+1
    I have had starter motors swell while in storage to the point where they will do exactly what you are describing. If all of the other checks are OK, time to replace the starter.

Thread Information