Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    83

    angle bearing grease to synthetic gear oil change

    My angle bearing looked like it has thrown most of the grease out and when u spin the shaft it sounds dry. No water in the cone and play is negligible so I believe the bearing is still ok. So I was thinking of how I could repack the bearing as there is plenty of grease in the cone. Then I see that people are removing the grease and running synthetic gear oil. Sounds like a great idea! My questions are what weight synthetic, and most importantly how many oz of oil do u put in? Don't want to overfill and blow a seal out. thanks, Lee


  2. #2
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    I run 75w-90 in my skis.....but everybody has their own preference with weight and brand.....As far as how much,....on your first fill after cleaning all the grease out,put 3oz in......after that you should only need about 2.5 oz per oil changes...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I run 75w-90 in my skis.....but everybody has their own preference with weight and brand.....As far as how much,....on your first fill after cleaning all the grease out,put 3oz in......after that you should only need about 2.5 oz per oil changes...
    How many hrs should I let it go before I change the oil the first time? Any grease that I can't get to by wiping will have to be flushed out in the first oil change.

  4. #4
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    I usually change mine 1/2 way through the season...I would check it periodically to ensure your not losing any or taking any water on....As far as the grease mixing with the oil...Youll be fine it will eventially work its way out with a couplw of changes....FYI the grease mixed witht he oil will not hurt anything so notheing to be worried about there..

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I usually change mine 1/2 way through the season...I would check it periodically to ensure your not losing any or taking any water on....As far as the grease mixing with the oil...Youll be fine it will eventially work its way out with a couplw of changes....FYI the grease mixed witht he oil will not hurt anything so notheing to be worried about there..
    Well I got as much old grease out as I could, poured in 3 oz 80w90 gear oil, put it all back together and rode it today. 02 gtx 4tec 57mph on the gps so it's running as good as it ever has. According to my Seadoo manual max radial play is measured with the prop on and is .029" which seems like a lot of play. I have nowhere near that much play, but the angle bearing still sounds dry when u spin it even with the gear oil. The noise has been reduced by about 1/2 but it's still not silent like u would expect from a new bearing. This bearing has about 75 hrs on it and the ski has about 143 hrs. Question: What are the signs of angle bearing failure? Loud noise that u can hear over the exhaust? Vibration? Gouged out wear ring? Water in the hull? I'm just guessing here and would like to know the signs the bearing is on it's way out. I imagine total failure of the bearing would let the drive shaft flop around causing failure of the carbon seal which would sink the ski.

  6. #6
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    I have never experianced bearing failure in my pump so i cant give you 100% details on what it sounds like....Are you sure its not the prop hitting anything on the pump???IF not,and if it sounds bad or is making that kind of noise then i would be thinking about replacing it...Especially if you can hear it over your exhaust..

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I have never experianced bearing failure in my pump so i cant give you 100% details on what it sounds like....Are you sure its not the prop hitting anything on the pump???IF not,and if it sounds bad or is making that kind of noise then i would be thinking about replacing it...Especially if you can hear it over your exhaust..
    The only noise I've heard from the bearing was when I was spinning the prop on the bench. It had that dry bearing sound. I'm thinking it should be smooth and silent. No abnormal sounds or anything during operation. I was trying to guess what signs a failing angle bearing might give before it fails completely and sinks the ski. Maybe they don't fail like that I don't know. Maybe they just wear out and the radial play increases until the seal leaks and gets water in the cone and a new bearing and seal gets installed to stop the leak.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
  2. Is there not a how to for an oil change?
    By Muddinking in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
  3. What To Use For Oil Change?
    By Flynfox in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 04:31 PM
  4. what oil to use for oil change
    By macattack in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 08:18 PM
  5. I Just Changed Oil to Synthetic in the RXP
    By 1 FAST VE in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •