Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

1080p vs 4k, wrong to go 1080p?

Hey gents! Haven't been around a bunch lately, house work had me tied up. Anyway, I picked up a 65" Samsung H7150 LED recently. With all this ranting about 4k and CES this week I have been rethinking my purchase. I know anymore nothing is future-proof. But I'd be a little beside myself if within a year or two I have to buy another tv, Bluray player and movies because of HDMI and HDCP changing. Should I just stick with the 1080p set I just got? Or is 4k inevitable... I wasn't extremely wow'ed by the 4k sets I looked at. Unless I was an inch from the display. Plus the price tags were a good bit higher (wife will kill me) and almost no content which is a big drawback in itself. I even took a thumb drive loaded with trailers so I could feed them some true 1080p/4k source respectively.

Signed,

Confused

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Early days for 4K. Will be some time yet before there will be a lot of 4K content. Think 2016 ...

4K is enormous in terms of data, so streaming 4K needs huge bandwidth. Bluray disc (expected late 2015) has barely enough capacity, if the content is even available.

The primary reason for 4K in the stores, in my view, is to replace curved screens and 3D as the 'new thing' to push.

Price erosion has eaten fairly deeply into the 1080p flat screen market, even at the larger sizes. The TV manufacturers are always looking for something to help sell the new and more expensive product. First it was 'Full HD' at 1080 vs. 720. Then it was larger screen sizes. Then it was 3D. Then curved screens. Now it is 4K.

Enjoy your large but relatively inexpensive 1080 screen. If the display is of reasonable calibre then movies will look good, now and for years to come.

If and when 4K content becomes widely available and reasonably priced, that would be the time to revisit the 4K TV marketplace. Prices will have come down and the display image quality may be even better.
    Last edited by K447; 01-12-2015 at 03:45 PM.

+1
    I wasn't extremely wow'ed by the 4k sets I looked at. Unless I was an inch from the display.
    Well, that says a lot right there.
    If you don't see enough of a difference, then why buy it?

Netflix started streaming 4K summer of 2014. But you have to be subscribed to a plan that supports streaming in Ultra High Def. I saw where Amazon is now launching theirs too. Panasonic revealed their prototype 4K disc player this week. So yeah, it's inevitable. But whether or not you as an individual will be able to appreciate it? - now that is the question.

Personally, I never wanted 3D TV, and never bought into the hype because to MY eyes, it sucks for picture quality. Don't get me wrong; I was an early adopter of High Def 1080p, and Blu-Rays too. Personally I love those technologies and I want the best overall picture I can get. And I have a pretty massive SVS subwoofer to go with that picture, too. But I can only speak for myself, and let's face it; even after years of being on the market, there are millions of consumers out there who still don't give a rat's azz about things like Blu-Ray discs, because they don't appreciate the difference and they are perfectly happy with their crappy DVD's.

So I would say once you look beyond the hype, it really depends on YOU and your eyes, and what looks good to you. If something looks good to YOU, that's really all that matters and you will appreciate it and therefore you will get your money's worth of enjoyment.

Banned User
    +1
    I recently faced the same decision as you are facing. I opted for the 1080. I wasnt wowed enough either by the 4k. Maybe 4k will be good for the 65 inch and larger tvs. I am thrilled with my purchase and still amazed every time i turn it on. Save the money and get a nice sound system. I bought a Bose setup because of the great sound and almost invisible presence of it. All you see are 2 tiny speakers.

+1
    For what it's worth...I am a video editor for a living and let me tell you...4k is a crap joke. The human eye at normal tv viewing distance cannot even perceive the difference between 1080 and 4k...and you would need at LEAST a 60 inch plus TV to even begin to avoid pixel crunching. Do not fall for it!

Great article here that lays it all out plain and simple.

Link

6. +1 by:

+1
    I also recently faced this decision this past black friday, and I as well went with a 55" 1080 Samsung.
    The biggest deciding factor to me was that there's not enough content available in 4K, so I would literally be spending the extra $$$ for NOTHING!

99.5% of the time I'm just watching cable. I'm not a gamer, I'm not a streamer (altho I am highly considering cutting the cable and starting to stream, to save ~$80/month), so for me 1080 is all I need. Like everything it'll come down to your personal wants and uses.

+1
    Yep, Samsung makes great televisions.
    Their Blu-Ray players suck, but their TV's have amazing picture quality.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
    I also recently faced this decision this past black friday, and I as well went with a 55" 1080 Samsung.
    The biggest deciding factor to me was that there's not enough content available in 4K, so I would literally be spending the extra $$$ for NOTHING!

99.5% of the time I'm just watching cable. I'm not a gamer, I'm not a streamer (altho I am highly considering cutting the cable and starting to stream, to save ~$80/month), so for me 1080 is all I need. Like everything it'll come down to your personal wants and uses.
    Excellent choice...F 4k!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    As far as gaming goes none of the systems out and most computers cant even get close to it. To run 4k at a decent framerate you need seriously beefy graphics hardware.

Sean

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Yep, Samsung makes great televisions.
    Their Blu-Ray players suck, but their TV's have amazing picture quality.
    I bought a Samsung 55 inch and I couldn't be happier with it. 1080p

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information