Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Miami to Bimini

Miami to Bimini

Planning on crossing over to Bimini on 06/28 coming back 07/03. We have 2 jet skis and a 26 foot Sea Ray Sundancer chase boat. Its our first time crossing. If anyone would like to join or have any advise please let me know!!

I know ice and food is really expensive over there so we are trying to bring with us as much as possible.

We plan on scuba diving but are looking to rent tanks in Bimini to keep the weight down on the equipment we bring. Has anyone rented 02 tanks there? If so, how much did it cost?

We have alot of the basics covered. We are following this ride plan posted by ANNUAL BIMINI SANDS PWC 100

IF YOU HAVE CROSSED BEFORE, PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY/ ADVISE/ RIDEPLANS THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE

RIDE PLAN:
    Haulover Marina to Bimini, Bahamas

CUSTOMS/VESSEL FEE:
    $150 FOR PWC

ADDITIONAL FEES:
    Food
    Drinks
    Gas
    Tax
    Gratuity
    Misc.

RESORT 1 CONTACT INFO:
    Bimini Sands Resort & Marina
    Viveca Sherman Lubin
    Office Manager
    Bimini Bahamas
    Email - [email protected]
    Website - www.biminisands.com
    (242) 347-3500 Office (International Call)
    (242) 347-3501 Fax

RESORT 2 CONTACT INFO:
    The Sea Crest Hotel
    Bimini, Bahamas
    Email - no email
    Website - www.seacrestbimini.com
    (242) 347 3071

FUEL:
    Bimini Sands Resort
    www.biminisands.com
    Guy Harvey Outpost Resort & Marina
    http://www.biggameclubbimini.com/

FREEPORT RESORT 1 CONTACT INFO(OPTION):
    Flamingo Bay Hotel
    http://www.expedia.com/Freeport-Hote...-9b52c8c8c3af&
    FUEL: Port Luyaca Marina
    http://www.portlucaya.com/index.htm

MARINA IN MIAMI:
    Haulover Marina (Private Marina & Boat Ramp - charge for parking)
    10800 Collins Ave
    Miami, FL 33154
    (305) 947-3525

BAD WEATHER:
    If the weather is bad, we reschedule, BSR is very understanding as are most resorts on Bahemian Islands.

CANCELLATION POLICY:
    You may cancel your reservation up to 10 days prior to arrival and within the 10 days we will have up to a year to reschedule.

WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
    1) Valid Passport & I.D.
    2) PWC must be ready to travel.
    3) PWC must be equipped with all USCG required items.
    4) PWC must be equipped with valid Registration.
    5) PWC must be equipped with INTAKE SHUT OFF VALVES or LINE CLAMP in case of towing.
    6) PWC must be equipped with minimum 50' Tow line with quick clips.
    7) PWC should have NEW BATTERY, spare spark plugs & plug tool(2 STROKE)
    8 ) PWC should have small tool kit, first aid kit & oil if needed
    9) Pack fluids, food and suntan lotion, be smart, it will be HOT
    10) You must be both physically and mentally capable to do this ride.
    11) $150 Bahamas Vessel Fee in cash.
    12) $300 approx cash in hand for personal expenses.
    13) GPS with 16 hours minimum battery life(extra batteries)
    14) VHF 2 Way Radio or SAT Phone
    15) SPOT or CATEGORY I EPIRB 406mhz (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons)
    16) CELL PHONE
    17) ATLEAST 1 - 5 GAL can with FUEL
    18 ) Appropriate clothing, hats, sunglasses, etc.
    19)YELLOW QUARINTINE FLAG(mandatory) - can purchase from West Marine
    20) BAHAMAS COURTESY FLAG(preferable) - can purchase from West Marine
    21) American Flag or sticker on your PWC(optional)

EPIRB RENTAL PROGRAM:
    www.boatus.com/foundation/epirb/default.asp

SATELLITE PHONE RENTAL COMPANIES:
    GMPCS Personal Communications - www.gmpcs-us.com
    Global Com - www.globalcomsatphone.com
    Mobal Communications - www.mobalrental.com
    Outfitter Satellite - www.outfittersatellite.com
    World Cell - www.worldcell.com
    Cellular Abroad - www.cellularabroad.com
    Cellhire - www.cellhire.com<
    Sat Phone Store - www.satphonestore.com
    All Road Sat - http://allroadsat.com/

SPOT:
    www.lowergear.com/product.php/id/261
    West Marine carries these, well worth the money
    Last edited by K447; 01-07-2015 at 06:35 PM.

+1
    It would suck if you find out someone doesn't have the second part of #10 halfway across.

halfway across would put us in the center of the gulf stream. Heard its pretty deep there, sucks to be that guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    It would suck if you find out someone doesn't have the second part of #10 halfway across.

+1
    What about number 22? Several 30 packs.

+1
    I've made the crossing from Haulover to Bimini 6 times in the last 5 years on 4 different seadoos. Fastest crossing was about 1hr 45min and worst crossing was a little over 3hrs. It all depends on the weather. On all 6 crossings i've never needed fuel. Its only ~52miles from the Ramp to the fuel dock... For seadoos you can easily make this as long as you stay out of boost (under 6200rpm). Re-Fueling at sea is very dangerous and risky... If you get one random/rouge wave over the side of the ski with the fuel cap open while refueling and then you get a gallon of salt water in your tank you're screwed.

Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. If the weather isn't great then have enough slack in your time schedule (and wallet) to push your departure back a day or two... There's a big difference between getting your butt kicked for a few hours in rough weather VS being in danger. I've crossed in some sloppy conditions but never once thought I was in danger.

Ice isn't expensive and Food doesnt' have to be. Hauling Ice in a jetski wasting valuable storage space is a terrible idea. Bimini Sands sells Ice for like $4 per 10lbs bag. Food doesn't have to be expensive either, You can spend a $100 on a nice steak/Lobster dinner at one of the baller resorts in Bimini Bay if you wanted to waste money... Or go down to Mackey's and get a Burger and Fries for $10-$12.

Bring a bunch of non-perishables for breakfast and lunch like granola bars, Bagels, PB&J's, crackers, protein bars etc... Eat breakfast in your room.... bring some snacks with you for an on water lunch... then go to the restaurant for dinner.

Be Smart. Make good decisions. Trust in your equipment.
    Last edited by TheElite0ne; 01-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.

6. +1 by:

Thanks for the heads up! We have a 26ft chase boat going with us that we can store a good amount of equipment on board. As far as lodging, where did you stay? We are looking to rent a house in South Bimini but not sure if its the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheElite0ne View Post
    I've made the crossing from Haulover to Bimini 6 times in the last 5 years on 4 different seadoos. Fastest crossing was about 1hr 45min and worst crossing was a little over 3hrs. It all depends on the weather. On all 6 crossings i've never needed fuel. Its only ~52miles from the Ramp to the fuel dock... For seadoos you can easily make this as long as you stay out of boost (under 6200rpm). Re-Fueling at sea is very dangerous and risky... If you get one random/rouge wave over the side of the ski with the fuel cap open while refueling and then you get a gallon of salt water in your tank you're screwed.

Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. If the weather isn't great then have enough slack in your time schedule (and wallet) to push your departure back a day or two... There's a big difference between getting your butt kicked for a few hours in rough weather VS being in danger. I've crossed in some sloppy conditions but never once thought I was in danger.

Ice isn't expensive and Food doesnt' have to be. Hauling Ice in a jetski wasting valuable storage space is a terrible idea. Bimini Sands sells Ice for like $4 per 10lbs bag. Food doesn't have to be expensive either, You can spend a $100 on a nice steak/Lobster dinner at one of the baller resorts in Bimini Bay if you wanted to waste money... Or go down to Mackey's and get a Burger and Fries for $10-$12.

Bring a bunch of non-perishables for breakfast and lunch like granola bars, Bagels, PB&J's, crackers, protein bars etc... Eat breakfast in your room.... bring some snacks with you for an on water lunch... then go to the restaurant for dinner.

Be Smart. Make good decisions. Trust in your equipment.

+1
    I've always stayed at Bimini Sands on the South Island. Bimini Sands is the only place that has floating docks and is in a protected cove/marina which is a big plus for tieing up jetskis over night. The condos at Bimini Sands come in 1,2 & 3 bedroom configs. The 3 bedroom could sleep 8-10 people if everybody was comfortable with each other. Its a little spendy at ~$450/night but if you divide by 8 or 10 people its not that bad. Bimini Sands is the only "resort" on the south island so that's your only option unless you rent from a private owner.

All the resorts/hotels on the north island have stationary docks that are designed for large yachts and fishing boats so its very inconvenient to tie up a ski. They get banged around alot from boats passing by in the channel and if not tied up correctly, can float under the dock and get banged up pretty bad.

Your best option on the North end is Bimini Big Game. http://www.biggameclubbimini.com/ . I've never stayed here before but its a nice, safe place with a pool and restaurant on site that is reasonably priced. The SeaCrest hotel is basically a Motel 6 and looks pretty junky. I wouldn't stay here unless you didn't have any other options. Bimini Bay, or as its called now, Resorts World Bimini is all the way at the north end of the north island and is ultra expensive. This place definitely caters to the mega wealthy. Neat place to drive thru on a golf cart to see the sights but would suck your wallet dry if you tried to eat, sleep, or gamble here.

As far as the night life goes... the North Island is definitely more lively. However, the South Island has Mackey's which is my favorite place. Bimini Sands has free Bus Shuttle service from the resort to Mackey's & the Ferry to the North Island. The Ferry to the north island only take about 5 minutes and is $2-$3 per person. The Ferry doesn't run all night so make sure to ask the guy when he's going to shut down for the night and tip heavily on your way over and tell him not to leave you stranded for the night.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Don't forget to bring some Off!. The gnats will eat you alive at dawn/dusk and the stores run out of Off! quickly.

I also stayed at Bimini Sands, there were 5 of us on our trip. They let me have the master suite, but I did share the bathroom. Upstairs was a loft with 3 beds, and there were 2 couches for others to sleep on.

We generally had breakfast at the restaurant on the Bimini Sands property. You can also get off of the "main drag" to get some more local flavor in your meals. Like going "up the hill" on the north island.

They didn't have fuel at Bimini Sands the whole time we were there. But the fuel dock is close by, next to the Big Game Club. No biggie.

There were no customs agents at the Bimini Sands--I heard there sometimes were some. Also at the Big Game Club.

The floating docks at Bimini Sands are definitely the best! And there are hoses there. Ostensibly for the fishermen, but you can also hose yourself, your gear, and your skis off.

We used Crandon Park Marina to launch from, pretty close to Haulover. Our stuff was unmolested when we returned.

Oh, and we only paid $1 for the water taxi and would tip the bus driver $1.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Outstanding & informative, makes me want to go. Thanks to all of you for sharing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Outstanding & informative, makes me want to go. Thanks to all of you for sharing
    I believe I have the title of "oldest and fattest" to do this yet. Feel free to bump me should you uhhhhhhhhhhhh, outclass me in either of those categories.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information