Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Yamaha Gp1300R newbie! Help.

Hi Guys,

I have bought a yamaha gp1300r (2003, 120 hours).

I ´m a newbie when it comes to yamaha. Is there anything i need to be aware off, when it have run about 120 hours?

Do I need to buy new pistons or stuff like that...?

Anything I need to check?

Hope you can help...

Thanks,

Jesper.

+1

Newbie things to do First

Hello ! Welcome to the forum

* At 120 hours, I would get a good compression gauge and get a current baseline of your motor. This compression reading tells a lot.
    * I would also inspect the oil supply lines to your throttle bodies and make sure none of them show signs of leaking.
    * The Catalytic convertor (Cat-Con) has been known to break apart in the exhaust section. Most GPR owner replace this with the RIVA or R&D D-Plate and Cat Temp sensor chip
    * If you plan to do any modifications to increase your speed, the pump tunnel has been known to be an "achilles heel"; weak spot in the hull. It can/will be prone to stress cracking from the pressure exerted from the water due to the faster speeds.
    * I would also invest in a good digital tachometer. This instrument also tell a lot about the runnign condition of your motor. It is a lot more accurate than the factory bar graph tachometer on the display.
    * I believe in 2003 there was a recall on the pump shoe brackets to replace them.
    * Back on modifications, if you plan to do some, I would highly suggest you reinforce the pump tunnel to strengthen that area.
    * Inspect your pump liner and impeller for wear.
    * Download a GP1300R Service manual for your use. This manual will come in very handy for routine inspection and rpeventative maintaince of your PWC. Look at the bottom of my signature and click on the Manuals link.
    * Check all your hose connections; hose clamps.
    * At 120 hours, Grease all your control cables.
    * Use the Forum's [Search] feature. There is a lot of information on here that can easily be found.
    * Also check out the How-To FAQ section.

* Last but not least, Don’t' be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS ! There are a lot of very knowledgable PWC owners on this forum that are more then willing to help you with any need !
    Last edited by RX951; 04-13-2007 at 05:04 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Jesper!

Everything you need to know about GPRs is here. What RX951 suggested is a great start.

+1
    Wave Eater clips and couplers would also be a good investment. The pump tunnel would be the first thing that I would do in your shoes.

+1
    Welcome to the forum !

African-American
    +1
    Welcome.

I got my own 03 GP1300R not very long ago. Welcome to the club

Hi again.

Thanks alot, for these info´s. Very helpfull!

Question: Where can I buy a good digital tachometer?

Question: "reinforce the pump tunnel" how do i do that?

I´m plannin´ of buying these parts;
    Riva D-plate and Cat temp sensor chip.
    Solas propeller.
    Riva Airfilter.

Will this give good speed/horsepower for the money?

P.S. RX951, thanks for the service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Hello ! Welcome to the forum

* At 120 hours, I would get a good compression gauge and get a current baseline of your motor. This compression reading tells a lot.
    * I would also inspect the oil supply lines to your throttle bodies and make sure none of them show signs of leaking.
    * The Catalytic convertor (Cat-Con) has been known to break apart in the exhaust section. Most GPR owner replace this with the RIVA or R&D D-Plate and Cat Temp sensor chip
    * If you plan to do any modifications to increase your speed, the pump tunnel has been known to be an "achilles heel"; weak spot in the hull. It can/will be prone to stress cracking from the pressure exerted from the water due to the faster speeds.
    * I would also invest in a good digital tachometer. This instrument also tell a lot about the runnign condition of your motor. It is a lot more accurate than the factory bar graph tachometer on the display.
    * I believe in 2003 there was a recall on the pump shoe brackets to replace them.
    * Back on modifications, if you plan to do some, I would highly suggest you reinforce the pump tunnel to strengthen that area.
    * Inspect your pump liner and impeller for wear.
    * Download a GP1300R Service manual for your use. This manual will come in very handy for routine inspection and rpeventative maintaince of your PWC. Look at the bottom of my signature and click on the Manuals link.
    * Check all your hose connections; hose clamps.
    * At 120 hours, Grease all your control cables.
    * Use the Forum's [Search] feature. There is a lot of information on here that can easily be found.
    * Also check out the How-To FAQ section.

* Last but not least, Don’t' be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS ! There are a lot of very knowledgable PWC owners on this forum that are more then willing to help you with any need !

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    Wave Eater clips and couplers would also be a good investment. The pump tunnel would be the first thing that I would do in your shoes.

NOPE, do the recall on the pump shoe brackets first, then reinforce.

EVERY 03 GPR owner needs to have these brackets installed. I just had mine done this week under warranty. THEY WILL bust out of the hull in a matter of time. I assume if you've made it 120 hrs it has already been done, there is a black dot on the inside of the hull if it has. It is located on the left inner wall of the hull under the seat next to the HULL number. The dot indicates that the recall has been performed. IT IS A MUST.

other than that i would think about removing the oil pump and premixing your oil in the tank to aviod your oil pump going out and causing a problem there.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jesperducati View Post
    Hi again.

Thanks alot, for these info´s. Very helpfull!

Question: Where can I buy a good digital tachometer?

Question: "reinforce the pump tunnel" how do i do that?

I´m plannin´ of buying these parts;
    Riva D-plate and Cat temp sensor chip.
    Solas propeller.
    Riva Airfilter.

Will this give good speed/horsepower for the money?

P.S. RX951, thanks for the service manual.
    Just noticed you're in Denmark. From what I understand the yama version of the Dplate should already be in a euro model ski? am I correct guys????

your dealer can do the recall otherwise you have to purchas brackets($10) i think and remove the battery box to get to the inside of the tunnel where the stock brass fittings for the pump inlet shoe are located. The brackets are made to resist being pulled out through the bottom of the hull like the stock ones do. check for your dot..

as far as a filter goes I'd go w/ the Flame arrestor. Air filter kinda b.s. in my opinion useless just go w/ F/A or nothing. you have to remove the muffler assembly to get to it BTW. which isn't a big deal either.

pump tunnel reinforcement :

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7240

Ben
    Last edited by IowanGPR; 04-12-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Ben,

The yamaha is completely stock and the owner has imported it from USA.

I will check up the dot, U are talking about.

Anyway, does the RIVA GP1300R Free Flow Exhaust Kit gives any effect? What cheap mod can i make, without paying to much.

/Jesper.

Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    Just noticed you're in Denmark. From what I understand the yama version of the Dplate should already be in a euro model ski? am I correct guys????

your dealer can do the recall otherwise you have to purchas brackets($10) i think and remove the battery box to get to the inside of the tunnel where the stock brass fittings for the pump inlet shoe are located. The brackets are made to resist being pulled out through the bottom of the hull like the stock ones do. check for your dot..

as far as a filter goes I'd go w/ the Flame arrestor. Air filter kinda b.s. in my opinion useless just go w/ F/A or nothing. you have to remove the muffler assembly to get to it BTW. which isn't a big deal either.

pump tunnel reinforcement :

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7240

Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information