Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Check your clamps!

Well, I finally did the ribbon delete, still a drag of a job, but was quite amazed at how loose the clamps were on the j- pipe... all the more surprising as I keep a small ratchet with an 8 mm socket in the glove box on the ski, and make a habit if tightening them every few hours. (Note, if you do this, tape the two together, have a string on the end of the tool, and DON'T do it unless engine totally cold!)

The connection j-pipe to throttle body was the most loose, and while the pipe hadn't slipped off or anything, I'm fairly certain that at full boost some would be leaking around the join.

I do notice slight gains after every time I tighten, so I thought I'd start this thread to help those whose ski may seem a little off and may not realise the stock clamps have a tendency to vibrate loose. I'm wondering if it's more of a problem on the SVHO, as my SHO had the rigid j-pipe with the bolt and didn't seem quite as prone to it, this one has the flexible pipe in much softer rubber, and if course has to contain more boost.

Oh, and I'm sure some one will ask, still nearly 3 hrs going carefully and methodically, only lost one washer off the sub-frame/grab rail, I took it off this time to gain extra working room and avoid the seat spike up the butt! A finger ratchet made reassembly go a little more quickly...

+1
    Mine were all finger tight. The one that was very lose was exhaust manifold to waterbox

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yep, boot between the exhaust manifold and the water box was also loose. Will check intake side just in case.

+1
    I didn't notice any lose clamps on mine when I did it. There again I only had 2 hrs on it at the time....great post to keep people aware!

Quote Originally Posted by zone5 View Post
    Well, I finally did the ribbon delete, still a drag of a job, but was quite amazed at how loose the clamps were on the j- pipe... all the more surprising as I keep a small ratchet with an 8 mm socket in the glove box on the ski, and make a habit if tightening them every few hours. (Note, if you do this, tape the two together, have a string on the end of the tool, and DON'T do it unless engine totally cold!)

The connection j-pipe to throttle body was the most loose, and while the pipe hadn't slipped off or anything, I'm fairly certain that at full boost some would be leaking around the join.

I do notice slight gains after every time I tighten, so I thought I'd start this thread to help those whose ski may seem a little off and may not realise the stock clamps have a tendency to vibrate loose. I'm wondering if it's more of a problem on the SVHO, as my SHO had the rigid j-pipe with the bolt and didn't seem quite as prone to it, this one has the flexible pipe in much softer rubber, and if course has to contain more boost.

Oh, and I'm sure some one will ask, still nearly 3 hrs going carefully and methodically, only lost one washer off the sub-frame/grab rail, I took it off this time to gain extra working room and avoid the seat spike up the butt! A finger ratchet made reassembly go a little more quickly...
    Hi there, are you saying the clamps keep coming loose after you tighten them?

I have noticed a few of the newer Yamies with loose clamps around the throttle body after the ribbon is removed. I thought it was just an oversight every time but maybe the j pipe is making it hard to tighten them. Its a different jpipe than it was a few years ago.
    Another thing I'm noticing after ribbon removals is intake maniflods being put back on without the 2 brackets that hold it to the block underneath (in addition to the manifold bolts). I know theyre a pain to put back but has anyone been doing this successfully? Any known problems from not replacing these brackets?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchmonster View Post
    Another thing I'm noticing after ribbon removals is intake maniflods being put back on without the 2 brackets that hold it to the block underneath (in addition to the manifold bolts). I know theyre a pain to put back but has anyone been doing this successfully? Any known problems from not replacing these brackets?
    Next time you have the manifold out, just notch the tabs so you can slide the manifold off without removing the bolts all the way.

+1
    Mandy I have had those bolts left out since the second time I had the manifold off
    I still have the brackets underneath for support though

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t-bolt_clamp.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	349380
    Problem solved!

10. +1 by:

+1
    Yep, on both this and the SHO I've had a constant issue with clamps loosening, as I said I keep the 8 mm socket on the ski to stay on top of it.. When I get around to it, the pic Slap has posted above is the ideal solution!

While we're on the topic, I did have the watercooled exhaust section between exhaust manifold and water box have loose bolts from the factory, filled the hull up with water pretty quickly. I'll post the video when I get to the other computer, it didn't start spraying until 2000 rpm. All sorted under warranty, but all the little issues on this year model makes me wonder if there was a new assembly line started up in a hurry, and not everyone knew their job that well at first...

I always re-install those two bolts underneath, just to be sure... It's my favourite part of the whole job - not....

+1
    I'm curious if you have bad clamps? I have gone 25+ hours without touching the clamps and no issues. I have seen people over tighten them and it bends the band part and the clamps will slip. I would replace them and make sure and not over tight them.
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 01-11-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information