Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

anyone have problems with SC gears wearing out super fast with Riva washers?

I have now had this happen twice on my 2 rude in less than 20hrs each. the gear wore down so much that the locking collar bottomed out on the splines and couldn't maintain pressure on the clutchs.

first time it happened, charger had about 85 hrs on it with OEM washers. changed over to Riva washers and at 100hrs the gear wore out and it lost all slip and free spinned. Did full rebuild with new Riva washers. pulled and checked/set slip 10hrs. at 17hrs the gear was done and she was free spinning again.

anyone else having similar issues? did Riva or OEM change their metallurgy?

+1
    I had this happen with a R&D gear..I took it as the gear was garbage(5 hours) as i have never had any issues with Riva washers in the past....

+1
    Just curious why you use RIVA washers after the rebuild when the clutches that come in the kit are bad ass?

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    I had this happen with a R&D gear..I took it as the gear was garbage(5 hours) as i have never had any issues with Riva washers in the past....
    Interesting..I wonder if Riva changed the metallurgy of the washers. the washers all looked fine except one this most recent time had a bevel to the outer edge. probably from slipping all the way back to the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    Just curious why you use RIVA washers after the rebuild when the clutches that come in the kit are bad ass?
    first time I went to Riva's was cause my motor went for a swim after the hose clamp on the carbon ring failed. replaced the OEM's from recommendation from here and a good friend. went back to the Riva's the second time because the ones from the first time held up good. didn't dawn on me till now that they might be harder than the gear and wearing it out faster.

I will be going to OEM now. Why can't you buy an OEM gear separate? don't feel like spending $150 on the R&D and don't need to rebuild with only 17hrs on it.

+1
    The gold washers? Bob had a problem with them on his(now my) triple bearing 68-140. Still have them in and I checked it after both rides and 0 issues. I've heard some of them are out of round but when I rebuild I use stock kits. There's no reason to ever use Riva unless you want a sticker for something

canadian iceman
    +1
    Use the rotax racing washers...(i think the new oem washers are rotax).....riva gold washers are for boats your selling!!!

+1
    used silver 08+ RIVA's. not the gold ones.

didn't Jerry use to sell OEM gears in the store?

+1
    I use OEM and only OEM on my 68-140

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    used silver 08+ RIVA's. not the gold ones.

didn't Jerry use to sell OEM gears in the store?
    Nothing wrong with the newer grey Riva washers. Held slip well and had minimal break in on the C-kit I ran them in. Hard to beat the newer Rotax washers but.

IMO For the gear to wear down in 20hrs I would guess that the clutch assembly got too hot, causing it to slip and fail prematurely. Lesser of the two parts being the gear gave up.
    Did you notice any slipping prior to it completely failing? Was the charger completely rebuilt or just the clutch assembly?
    Are you running the 08+ SC oiler update?
    What was the slip set at?

Jerry did have the gears but not anymore. A full rebuild kit is not much more than what the gear and a set of washers set you back anyway. Better off replacing the lot especially after a failure like that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    Did you notice any slipping prior to it completely failing? only right before it failed.
    Was the charger completely rebuilt or just the clutch assembly? completely rebuilt as it was at 100hrs.
    Are you running the 08+ SC oiler update? no. I plan to if I ever have to pull the pto cover but have not had to yet.
    What was the slip set at? between 16-18 ft lbs.
    issue with getting a rebuild kit is then I am always missing a gear when its rebuild time. I got an old gear that's in ok shape I am going to try with new OEM washers and see what happens. If it last's better than 20hrs we know it's something with the Riva's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information