Ultra LX bow heavy

Hey guys newbie here. Have a Ultra LX for my wife. Have gone through 3 tanks of break in and followed pretty much what the dealer told me for break in. What Ive notice that this model rides on its nose alot, not super easy to spin around with out getting a sheet of water. I do alot of bayou running, many turns at brisk speeds and what Ive notice is that throttle is your friend on this ski in keeping the nose up on turns. My buddy that I go with just bought 2 Yamaha FX high output with the same hp, 160, but his hull is 50 pounds lighter and rides totally different. Actually yesterday I got the chance to switch, its smoother turns easier in the way that it glides through the turns, but does come out of the water more in ruff water. Is there something that can be bought to alieviate this on the Ultra and change the running attitude of the nose. Today I pick up my Ultra 250, I believe the hull is the same. Thanks for any help, great site, Thanks Jeff

Well, I picked up my 250 today. Just got back in with the wife, who also loves to ride. All I can say is what a machine. The Lx rides nose heavy but the 250 rides even more nose heavy. I will be looking for some mods once available on both to air these hulls out.

+1
    The splash gaurd helps keep you a tad drier. It's worth the effort, but mount it lower than I did.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20032

The hull itself is made to keep the nose down. The groupK rideplate will help bring the nose up, but your turning will be different and maybe not as crisp.

Doughnuts huh? Yeah, maybe you should have got the Yami.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    The splash gaurd helps keep you a tad drier. It's worth the effort, but mount it lower than I did.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20032

The hull itself is made to keep the nose down. The groupK rideplate will help bring the nose up, but your turning will be different and maybe not as crisp.

Doughnuts huh? Yeah, maybe you should have got the Yami.

Funny you mention the Yamaha. The neigbors just got 2 FX H.O 160hp ski's, which I got to check out yesterday. Rides like a caddy, lighter than the LX by 50 pounds with the same power. Turns and airs out totally different. Great for all around and cruising longer distances. What Sandy and I like is a lot of trails or bayou riding, and these Kawi's eat this stuff up. The 250's bow is too low for my liking, I'm looking for somewhere in between, and with a few mods to get into low 70's. Ill check your thread out....Thanks Jeff

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    There is a Group K rideplate in the Kawi classified.Also a Lx wedge on the 250 helps.

i wonder if 2 wedges on the lx would help i know it doesn't on the ultra ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    There is a Group K rideplate in the Kawi classified.Also a Lx wedge on the 250 helps.

Thanks...This is all new to me...What will the ride plate exactly do. What performance gains will I see in speed, handling or both.....I understand the wedge, changes the degree of angle of the prop to be more level like my Ultra LX vs pitched down like on my 250.

+1
    I got .8 mph and a little easier ride from the Group k ride plate, as the 250 pounds its way through rough water, the rideplate to me seem to lift the whole ski a little more out of the water as opposed to the wedge which just lifted the bow.The 2 seem to work good together, with both I gained a total of 2 mph, and a lot less punishing ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    I got .8 mph and a little easier ride from the Group k ride plate, as the 250 pounds its way through rough water, the rideplate to me seem to lift the whole ski a little more out of the water as opposed to the wedge which just lifted the bow.The 2 seem to work good together, with both I gained a total of 2 mph, and a lot less punishing ride.

Thanks for the info. Which wedge do you recommend. 2mph is better than I thought. Any other secrets or easy mods that are worth the coin per performance ratio. Jeff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    Thanks for the info. Which wedge do you recommend. 2mph is better than I thought. Any other secrets or easy mods that are worth the coin per performance ratio. Jeff

The wedge that is on the Ultra Lx is what I used for the Ultra 250.

Thread Information