Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Move them Bunks

  1. #1
    Lastcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Longview, Wa
    Posts
    114
    +1
    11

    Move them Bunks

    Just got my first Ski. 2004 Waveruner FX HO on a new Carnai Trailer. Was delivered to my house Sunday. Dealer that sold the Ski also setup the trailer for the Waverunner. It was hauled 400 miles to my place in an Enclosed Trailer.

    Looking at the Ski, seems it could use some adjustments (sitting on a chine) . Once I get it setting right, I'll check the tongue weight and move the ski forward or back as needed to get #110.

    Can I move the bunks outward? Is there enough support at those areas I marked? Or just try and adjust the drivers side to fit better. I would like to move them out farther as in the pics. Then get it low as possible too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front r.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	349428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front l.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	349429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunk right.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	349430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunk left.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	349431  


  2. #2
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Thats a tough call. If you can move the bunks outside the chine, and not have the keel hit the trailer, that would be ok. Otherwise, you could move the front of the bunks in slightly so the chine doesn't sit on the bunk. Either way would be ok. Its not ideal to have the chine on the bunk. It creates a pressure point on the hull.

  3. #3
    Lastcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Longview, Wa
    Posts
    114
    +1
    11
    Thanks BryanP, I guess I will garage Tuesday and jack it up and see if I can either adjust the rear of the bunks. Or move both bunks to the outside. Without the keel hitting the trailer.

  4. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,598
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastcat View Post
    Thanks BryanP, I guess I will garage Tuesday and jack it up and see if I can either adjust the rear of the bunks. Or move both bunks to the outside. Without the keel hitting the trailer.
    See this thread for one method of adjusting trailer bunks.

    Those bunk brackets have some adjustability in that you can change which holes in the circle pattern the cross bolts go through. My guess is that you can move the bunks outwards and align with the hull nicely just outside those chine ridges.

    Be careful to position the bunks so they are equally spaced on each side from the trailer centerline (or in from the trailer frame rails). You want the hull to align with the winch and bow roller, not be shifted or angled left or right.

    One of your fenders looks angled in the photo. May just need a tweak to get it aligned with the tire.


  5. #5
    Just my $.02... It looks like if you want to adjust your bunks to the outer position like you have marked in your pictures, it will lower your ski to the point that your keel will be on metal. It looks like if anything you might be able to adjust the other way if you have to be in between the chines. I just picked up a new trailer on saturday and they spent a couple of hours getting both skis lined up and adjusted to fit the big skis.

  6. #6
    Kaybat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    1,735
    +1
    28
    it amazes me how inept some dealers are at setting up trailers,its not rocket science.

  7. +1 by:


  8. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,598
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    it amazes me how inept some dealers are at setting up trailers, its not rocket science.
    Not complex, but it takes time. And the person doing it has to have an understanding of what the desired result is. If the person is in a hurry, or has never learned how to do it properly, then it will not be done properly.

    It seems that many dealers consider the trailer to be a lost cause, in terms of profit. And no money to be made on getting it configured just right.

    You might expect that a dealer selling a finite number of new watercraft models with a limited number of different hull sizes would have measured each model/hull and have a workbook with the correct bunk and winch tower configurations for each. Then someone just needs a measuring tape and a pair of wrenches to go configure a trailer for whatever model the customer just bought, without needing to even look at the watercraft itself. The measurements would already have been worked out.

    Maybe some dealers really do have their shit together in regards to trailers and get them set up properly the first time, and every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam SHO View Post
    ... I just picked up a new trailer on saturday and they spent a couple of hours getting both skis lined up and adjusted ...

  9. #8
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    it amazes me how inept some dealers are at setting up trailers, its not rocket science.
    Not complex, but it takes time. And the person doing it has to have an understanding of what the desired result is. If the person is in a hurry, or has never learned how to do it properly, then it will not be done properly.

    It seems that many dealers consider the trailer to be a lost cause, in terms of profit. And no money to be made on getting it configured just right.

    You might expect that a dealer selling a finite number of new watercraft models with a limited number of different hull sizes would have measured each model/hull and have a workbook with the correct bunk and winch tower configurations for each. Then someone just needs a measuring tape and a pair of wrenches to go configure a trailer for whatever model the customer just bought, without needing to even look at the watercraft itself. The measurements would already have been worked out.

    Maybe some dealers really do have their shit together in regards to trailers and get them set up properly the first time, and every time.

    Just from a liability standpoint they need to get them adjusted correctly. If the ski were to come off the trailer or be damaged due to improper trailer adjustment, I could see the dealer being liable.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trailer Bunk Carpet
    By oklagp1200r in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 09:53 AM
  2. Moving to Orlando area.
    By nitro rxp in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 04:02 PM
  3. roller bunks?
    By Griff350 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
  4. ok pump mods who has them???
    By two2curupt in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
  5. Converted bunks??
    By sprchrgd89gt in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •