Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

EastSide PowerSports - Regrind Cam - SeaDoo

Like many others here, I've been on a "need more speed" quest and while I've been sitting on a new ET137+4 wheel for months (in a box), I've been busy tuning my ski while running the stock SC. I like the idea of extracting as much as you can while still using a stock SC. So, last week I bought two cams from (Chris) at EastSide PowerSports (one for me and other for good friend). Pre-sales Chris was prompt in answering any question I had (didn't have many but..). He then kept me up to date with shipping/tracking info post sale.

Cam was installed stock & locked position (#3 TDC & retarded), this is critical. I opted for six new rocker shaft bolts but not necessary as you can reuse them 3 or so times. I also used new cam bolts with red loctite. Because I knew the cam would make my motor increase top RPM, I also changed the flywheel bolts. I've been walking on egg-shells because my motor has been spinning around 8,600rpm for a while. Wheww...I got away with it! Ironically, when removing my OEM flywheel bolts, they looked perfect and were all evenly tight. Motor already had all other mods needed to support this cam (look at my sig below). I feel that is important as well..

Upon first start up, don't freak out when you hear the motor rattling...the lifters will need to pump up due to the new cam profile (lower base lobe). Fired it up next day then headed to test lake. It was very windy and raining at lake but I didn't care as I was too excited to test this out. After letting motor slowly warm up (> 154F) I started getting more on the gas. The cam picked up in all areas. Rained stopped and made one top speed hit. Before my best was 77.7 with a dialed/custom vtech tune @ 8630RPM. First pass with cam on a tune not setup for this cam I went 80.1MPH @ 8820 (78F air, warm water). Uhh, I was impressed. The only thing I did to my tune in advance was increasing my limiter from 8700 to 8900.

Then the real excitement began. I wanted to record/log a 5 minute run so I could use that to "autotune" with the vtech. I was partly into the run (invisible CC buoy course style) when all of the sudden the skis beeper began screaming. As soon as I popped the seat I knew what happened. The Riva "closed loop" water pump kit blew out releasing all coolant. LOL. Needless to say I got towed back to my trailer (only 300ft from ramp). Funny thing is, just the night before a friend of mine (Brian) said it would happen because he knew from prior experience. Apparently, as soon as you go over 8700RPM (around that), the pressure is too much for the Riva kit to hold. Maybe a clamp would last a little longer but I don't like those odds. Because I run salt water I was always reluctant to go open loop (even though all my skis in the past were open loop). So I have the Riva open loop kit on the way! I will also be making a portable water tank flushing station and use that the moment I exit the water (probably overkill but easy and cheap to make). The water tank is 16 gallon and will make it self contained drop in (bed of truck). I may do an article on that if enough interest..

So to wrap things up. I was very pleased with the results. I can tell/feel the ski has more in her. My SC is tired with 96 hours (it has small amount of oil leaking past seal) and is holding motor back a tiny bit. I will soon rebuild it and flush out my IC (taking that hint from Andy).

Before = 77.7MPH (75F air)
    After = 80.1MPH (78F air) (look at the updates below)
    MPH Gain = 2.4MPH (look at the updates below)
    RPM Gain = 190RPM
    Weight = 232 grams lighter (I don't feel this matters much since its small diameter)

Hope you find this (initial) review helpful. More to come...

As of this writing, his website isn't done but you can see EastSide PowerSports Facebook page HERE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESPS Cam1.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	349472
    (ignore the 263 number in the graphic above)

Update in post #22 below

Update in post #30 below (FINAL)
    Last edited by Sanfish; 01-28-2015 at 10:19 AM.

+1
    Awsome results man, I can't wait to try his cam as well. Chris Is a good dude and has been extremely helpful to me.

+1
    Has anyone tested the stock 29 cam vs this regrind. I'm liking what I see but want some feed back first.

Awesome results

+1
    thats pretty awesome for a regrind.

+1
    are you 100% on the rocker shaft bolts? everyone always said to replace them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    are you 100% on the rocker shaft bolts? everyone always said to replace them.
    The "official" answer is to replace them (per manual). When I first installed springs/retainers I reused them. This time I decided for the small price I wanted new bolts. Members with more 4tec experience than myself have reused rocker shaft bolts without incident.

This is a perfect time to leave one of these here ---------> YMMV

+1
    Awesome results dude! Glad I could help! As far as this cam vs the stock 29 cam, I have tested it back to back same day with My regrind vs the 29 fully retarded and my cam has gained rpm. I know for a fact Sanfish has more gains once he works out the thermostat issue and dials in his tune. The regrind is generally 250-300 rpm gains over a stock 51 cam, obviously supporting modifications can and will alter the results.

As far as rocker bolts, I always install new ones on all my builds but during testing of the cam shafts I would have gone through 5+ sets in one single day so I opted to reuse them (my own personal ski or shop skis) and have never had an issue.

I have a turbo cam in the works as we speak, that will be tested on both of my turbo skis as soon as the weather warms up.

+1
    Awesome results and backs up the testing I did with this cam - http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=eastside Great improvements for the money and no tuning hassles like when installing many cams.

+1
    possibly looking into picking one of these up this spring. can someone explain the difference in the cams? 29 vs 51 vs 629? how do you tell what you got? I know next to nothing about cams

+1
    51 cams were found in most 06+ rxp/rxt 215/255/260 skis

29 and 629 are the same and were common in the 04/05 215 skis.

Look at the end of the camshaft where the gear sits, the number will be engraved.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information