+1

Gulf Shores Alabama

Any body have any idea on the laws in regards to PWCs and the beaches? I want to take my jet ski out to the beach but also drive up to the shore to switch riders and let my friends ride. Ive seen some people on stand ups drive right up onto the sand and they didnt get into any trouble. I also know that the rental companies have their areas marked off where they are allowed to bring them onto the shore. I think that most boats have to stay at least 100 ft. off the shore, not sure if pwcs apply to that or not.

+1
    IDK - usually, resort owned or otherwise private beaches are off limits. Usually. If the surf isn't bad - you may be able to anchor just off shore and that may solve your problem, with the proper anchor. This prob. won't work for you if they're at a resort/condo, but it's pretty hard to beat the islands just on the north side of the bridge in the pass. They are def. on! If it's a really nice weekend, you may even have trouble finding a spot for a ski. But it's the only place I enjoy hanging out. Other ideas may be found here: http://pwctrailfinder.com/AlabamaPWCTrailRides.html The first two trails on this page has tons of info - just click on the links under the micro-maps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    IDK - usually, resort owned or otherwise private beaches are off limits. Usually. If the surf isn't bad - you may be able to anchor just off shore and that may solve your problem, with the proper anchor. This prob. won't work for you if they're at a resort/condo, but it's pretty hard to beat the islands just on the north side of the bridge in the pass. They are def. on! If it's a really nice weekend, you may even have trouble finding a spot for a ski. But it's the only place I enjoy hanging out. Other ideas may be found here: http://pwctrailfinder.com/AlabamaPWCTrailRides.html The first two trails on this page has tons of info - just click on the links under the micro-maps.
    Okay thanks for the help man! I appreciate it. Yeah I've been checking out your site for a while definitely been wanting to check out some of the trails close to me. Im in Louisiana but go to Gulf Shores for vacation in the summer.

+1
    Then you need to check out what OB/GS has to offer the PWCer! Heading west, going to Lulu's isn't a huge trip but def. worth the ride and has a large food selection. Plus, you just never know when you'll catch her brother there, guitar in hand. Barber Marine has a most impressive display of fully restored antique outboard motors. Bear Point Marina has food, drinks, and fuel. Going east, I'm a fan of the Sunset Grill, which, if dining outside offers a wonderful view, and has fuel at the marina next door. And if you just want a cold one, check out Hub Stacey's.

Now if you're a wave junky, when the conditions are right, there are some impressive swells sweeping into the bay right under the bridge.

Here's a few pix:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1170808.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	349686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1170796.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	349685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kayatrest.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	349684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1170827.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	349683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1190407.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	349682  

+1
    The beach is going to be a no go. Rental places have special authorization and marked lanes for getting skis from the beach to the legal riding area…which is the same distance offshore as boats. Joe Blow on his new Doo riding through swimmers at the beach is a recipe for someone taking a ski nose in the face.

As the Celebrity told you, the greater OB area is a great place to ride and the inside bays/rivers/canals are much better riding than in the Gulf.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Then you need to check out what OB/GS has to offer the PWCer! Heading west, going to Lulu's isn't a huge trip but def. worth the ride and has a large food selection. Plus, you just never know when you'll catch her brother there, guitar in hand. Barber Marine has a most impressive display of fully restored antique outboard motors. Bear Point Marina has food, drinks, and fuel. Going east, I'm a fan of the Sunset Grill, which, if dining outside offers a wonderful view, and has fuel at the marina next door. And if you just want a cold one, check out Hub Stacey's.

Now if you're a wave junky, when the conditions are right, there are some impressive swells sweeping into the bay right under the bridge.

Here's a few pix:
    Awesome pictures man thanks for all the info! Yeah LuLus was wayy to much of a tourist trap for my book its alright.
    I go to Gulf Shores pretty frequently but never out on the water so I cant wait to check all of this out thanks for all of the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    The beach is going to be a no go. Rental places have special authorization and marked lanes for getting skis from the beach to the legal riding area…which is the same distance offshore as boats. Joe Blow on his new Doo riding through swimmers at the beach is a recipe for someone taking a ski nose in the face.

As the Celebrity told you, the greater OB area is a great place to ride and the inside bays/rivers/canals are much better riding than in the Gulf.
    Yeah thats what I figured thanks for the help!

+1
    I'm taking a week off from work 4/18 thru 4/25 and was wanting to no if I should bring my skis ? Will b staying in gulf shores ala. Good riding down there ? Fresh water ? Will it b warm enough to ride ??? Thanks in advance for the info.

+1
    The Weather Channel will certainly give a last minute update, but generally the air temps should be fine. The water will likely still be cool. Riding in the back bays is heavy brackish that close to the GoM. Although a little out of the way, I would recommend trailering north for about an hour or so to the Mobile area. There is some really fine freshwater river riding up there; you will not be disappointed: http://pwctrailfinder.com/AlabamaPWCTrailRides.html

+1
    Thanks for the information. Looks like a great place to ride. Looking forward to the beautiful scenery in that part of the country. May try to get hooked up with some of the rider's down there. The

Thread Information