seadoo lrv ,I've decided swap the 951 for a 787

ok guys ,i don't think I've seen anyone else doing it,but I've decided to swap my 951 for a 787,from what I've been researching and been told the 787 is generally a better engine,and at the end of the day i don't need my lrv to be particularly fast or anything ,i need reliability! ,i am interested to hear everyones thoughts on this plan.i know that i will need to make a new front engine mount,and the rear mounts are the same,i plan to use my 951 jet unit and have the impeller pitch altered to suit,I'm not sure if the driveshaft will fit or the splines are the same or not,but will cross that issue when and if it arises,any help from you all will be really appreciated though ,and anything thats constructive would be greatly appreciated ,thanks

+1
    An LRV with a 785 is going to be hard on that motor...That is a lot of wetted surface to propel

Were you not able to figure out the issue with your 947??

Banned User
    +1
    I want to see someone put a 260 4-tec in one of those.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1

+1
    The guy who owns LOOK Marketing (they do most of Sea-Doo's marketing) has one with a 215 in it..I think Duke from DCC did the conversion for him....

I figure that from my friends 787 gtx and my gtx 951 there is very little difference in top speed or acceleration ,A little yes ,but not not really that much,and after all this is really my fishing and cruising ski,I have several others that I use for playing on,the lrv with a 951 has plenty of power to get up and go ,it tops out around 52mph on the gauge9not accurate I know) but I also know that these motors require more care and attention and up keep etc,The 787 would have to be a better choice for longjevity,and my fishing etc is all in the sea,so it feels like a better idea,It will also use less fuel giving it a slightly better range.I know the engine will be down approx. 20hp ,but the gti has a 717 or 787 and both push it along just fine,so do you really think that a 787 will struggle or be working that hard compared to the 951? Ive owned around 8 or 9 951 skis and every single one was giving semi regular trouble,most stories Ive read from 787 owners have reported very little problems and seem to like their skis,my friends 787 gtx goes well and is only a fraction slower than my 951gtx,and not much slower than my spark 3 up h.o,does anyone know if my 951 driveshaft will fit my 787? thanks guys

well so far so good,i bought a whole 1996 gsx and stripped everything out of it including the wiring loom ,have fitted it all into my lrv,the rear mounts were identical and i made a new front mount from flat steel stepped down to allow the original mount to bolt on to it without raising the finished height,so engine alignment is taken care of,the 951 driveshaft fits the 787 pto and seems to be the correct length as well,i re routed the exhaust outlet to the opposite side and it now pokes out the back like the gsx does,i blocked the old exhaust hole using a fitting i bought from the irrigation shop near by,2mm bigger ,so a quick file and it fitted perfectly and was well sealed both sides to avoid any leaks,used original muffler box and mounted the battery box and electrical box,extended some of the wiring loom up front so it would reach the instruments and soldered everything thoroughly,the gsx oil reservoir appears to be the same as the original lev oil resevior (which was missing from ski as it was premix) so fitting that in tomorrow once i buy some new longer oil lines so it will reach.the original lev throttle cable fits perfectly too ,so I'm hoping tomorrow to just tidy up a few things and fire her up,i already tested the dess key and get the beep beep lol and the starter turns the motor over,with luck tomorrow will be a test run opportunity,i haven't changed the pitch of the impeller yet so will be interested to see how she goes,my guess is a little slow out of the hole but then should go well,most likely need to re pitch to get up faster with less load on the motor,what do you guys think?

+1
    Its an lrv! Put a small block chevy in it.

lol,the transplant is complete,tested on the water yesterday,went quite well ,no leaks ,everything perfect ,just getting the impeller re-pitched next week,as expected hole shot and top speed have decreased,lost approx 10mph off top speed ,my mechanic is sorting it out for me,overall though it was quite an easy swap

Thread Information