The difference between Ho and non HO

I have a chance to buy a 2003 fx cruiser at a decent price,when the owner bought it,it had a rod sticking out the side of the motor.
    He bought a new engine for it,it was an Ho,he installed it and it didn't go worth the crap,he was told that u can,t put an Ho engine in a non Ho cruiser because the heads are different so he bought a sbt remanufactured non Ho head for it and that,s as far as he got.
    My question is, will a non Ho head work on a Ho motor?or are there other differences.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotax Fan View Post
    I have a chance to buy a 2003 fx cruiser at a decent price,when the owner bought it,it had a rod sticking out the side of the motor.

He bought a new engine for it, it was an HO,

he installed it and it didn't go worth the crap. he was told that u can't put an Ho engine in a non Ho cruiser because the heads are different so he bought a sbt remanufactured non Ho head for it and that,s as far as he got.

My question is, will a non Ho head work on a Ho motor?or are there other differences.
    Why would the last owner buy a non-HO head to put on a new HO engine?

The FX hull itself was HO model or not?

no its just a fx140 2003 cruiser,he was told by a mechanic that since he had the ho engine and it was new, all he would have to do is change the head, because the computer had a problem with it begin an Ho.That,s why I,m trying to find out the difference between an Ho engine and non Ho,............and if you can just put a Non Ho head on a HO short block with no problems or are they non compatable

+1
    No you cannot. The pistons in the non HO are cast differently than the HO pistons and they will hit the valves.........and that's only one reason why it won't work. Intake, throttle body, exhaust, flywheel, rods, cams are all different.

The MR-1 engine was used in the FX140, FX HO and the VX. They are all built completely different.
    Last edited by Ski Hacks MG; 01-18-2015 at 06:47 PM.

thanks for the info CCW...crazy question,the ski is a2003 fx140 non Ho.....the motor he got for it is a fx140Ho....the new head is a sbt non HO....could you trade the head in and get a Ho head then get a fx140 ho computer and install that,would that work?
    Last edited by Rotax Fan; 01-18-2015 at 07:36 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotax Fan View Post
    thanks for the info CCW...crazy question,the ski is a2003 fx140 non Ho.....the motor he got for it is a fx140Ho....the new head is a sbt non HO....could you trade the head in and get a Ho head then get a fx140 ho computer and install that,would that work?
    I have never used SBT for anything other than cables, seat covers and traction mats so I am not real sure what their policy on engine parts is. What you do from here is going to be based on your skills, ability and understanding of what is involved to do a complete HO swap into your ski. I have never done this swap but I am assuming engine and ECU are the 2 major components. Not sure about gauges, harness, etc.

Unless you have the knowledge and skill to perform the swap, I would suggest finding a non-HO block and putting back to OE specs.

PS, there is no such thing as an "FX140 HO". It's simply the FX-HO and is 160hp. Just thought I would mention that in the event that you start searching for parts.

Thread Information