Sitting for 10 years - 1999 Seadoo GTX

I just inherited a 1999 Sea Doo Bombardier GTX. It was running great the last time it was out, but has been sitting for about 10 years in my grandfathers garage. I have siphoned the gas out of the tank and bought a new battery. I was planning on just topping it off with new gas and trying to crank it until it turns over. What do you guys think about this? Any chance the carbs are not gummed up/do you think it will start? Anything else I should do before hand? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by K447; 01-19-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrd04d View Post
    ... Any chance the carbs are not gummed up?

do you think it will start? ...
    Not really.

Huge risk of engine lean burn if even one of the carburetors is partially gummed up.

It really does not matter whether it starts, in the current condition. You still need to go through and check/inspect/service/replace almost everything. Doubtless you will find things that need work.

Do the job properly. Ten years is a really long time to be sitting unused.

Everything on that machine is now sixteen years old. Every hose should be inspected, or better yet, replaced. Especially the fuel hoses.

Lots of other potential issues, all the way from fuel shut-off valve to the engine crank shaft seals.

In general these high output 2-stroke engines really want the entire fuel system to be 100% good.

Once you you have done the work, getting the engine to start is almost a non-event. It will start because you have done the work, and it has no reason to not start. And run well.
    Last edited by K447; 01-18-2015 at 08:15 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    do you think it will start?.
    just a couple of things...
    1-make a sincere offering to Poseidon
    2-without a doubt, pull the carbs and go thru them. You can find plenty of info on this topic here
    3-fog the living daylights out of the engine, then crank it a bit with the plugs out and grounded before attempting a first startup.
    4-mix some oil with the first gallon of gas-5 oz to a gallon is good for the first fireup.
    5-Use synthetic injector oil
    6-Before startup, make another sincere offering to Poseidon

+1
    I just inherited a 1999 Sea Doo Bombardier GTX. It was running great the last time it was out, but has been sitting for about 10 years in my grandfathers garage. I have siphoned the gas out of the tank and bought a new battery. I was planning on just topping it off with new gas and trying to crank it until it turns over. What do you guys think about this? Any chance the carbs are not gummed up/do you think it will start? Anything else I should do before hand? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Is it a Limited or RFI? There's a huge difference in the approach as the Limited has a carbureted 951cc engine and the RFI is a fuel injected 787cc one. If it was stored in a climate where there's freezing temperatures there could also be damage to the base gasket or pump cone.

Thanks for the replies. So it is the RFI not the limited. It was sitting in a garage in Central Florida, so I don't think freezing would be too much of a problem. If it uses fuel injection instead of a carburetor what would be the approach there? I will definitely be making some offerings to Poseidon as well as taking the other advice offered thus far.

+1
    No answer will be right when answering these types of questions but I will share something with you from experience.

I bought a matching pair of 2002 Yamaha XLT 1200's that had been sitting (fuel drained), covered outside for 6 years (unused) and only had 40 hours each. The previous owner met me at the lake after he topped them off with fresh fuel, backed the trailer into the water, I jumped on #1, choked it, cranked it, it blew a hornet's nest out of the nozzle and rode like new for the next 15 minutes while I tested it. I repeated the same thing with #2 and same results. I ended up buying them and they were 2 of the best skis I ever owned and I never had a single issue with either one. I sold them last year to a buddy and they are still running like new. Yes, it happened just like that. Still had the spark plugs from 2002 in them (as I was told). Of course I went through them as soon as I got them home to be safe.

In your case, the GTX may or may not crank with fresh gas and new battery but there is a good chance that it will...............and run like new.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    for the rfi, I'd say that draining ALL the injection oil ( including the rotary valve lines) is a must.

Scratch the idea of putting oil in the gas...not good for an rfi. Advice on major fogging and some cranking with plugs out still stands.

if the fuel pump runs, you could be golden....

you want to backflush the crap out of it ( start engine and idle, then apply garden hose water thru the flush fitting..work the valve a few times to help move stuff along.

5 minutes MAX on the hose...if there are any nests in the cooling lines, it's a quick trip to the "they don't make the resonators for this model anymore"if you don't flush them out.)

after the first outing ( make it short), pull the pump and change the oil, grease the splines, inspect the prop. Pull the driveshaft cover and hit that zerk with ONE shot of grease

check all clamps and so on for tightness, replace anything that looks corroded.

don't be surprised when you crank the engine with the plugs out if lots of oil comes out, prepare for that with a couple of rags laid over the plug holes.

RV vales on those models had a tendency to leak over time, filling the engine with injector oil. If the tank is bone dry, pretty good chance you'll see this.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I would also add to use ONLY the genuine XP-S 2 cycle injection oil. The crank bearings are highly stressed and need the best lubrication possible. I would also siphon as much fuel out of the tank as possible and put in fresh 87 octane. This is a very easy fuel system to maintain-there are no jets or a selector valve to clog. I pulled the filter off my fuel pump last fall after 375 hours and 16 years and it looked very clean.

Thread Information