Jet Drive Question

Our 2011 FX SHO has 57 hours and has lost its hole-shot. It bounces off the rev limiter to the point it is difficult to get a skier up.

Just measured the impeller to housing clearance and found either the housing is out of round or the impeller shaft is bent. The impeller blades look fine. Either way the jet drive needs to come out.

What else should I be looking at when I take the JD apart? Any tips/advice are appreciated.

+1
    As beefy as the SHO shaft is, I doubt it is bent and if it was, there would likely be an enormous vibration accompanying it.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    As beefy as the SHO shaft is, I doubt it is bent and if it was, there would likely be an enormous vibration accompanying it.
    Agreed.
    It sounds like you have cavitation. Seal your pump shoe and see if that fixes it.

+1
    If you don't already have one, I would highly suggest an R&D intake grate on that ski. Perfect time to install and seal it up as well. EVERY supercharged SKI needs a good grate.

grate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=947

pump seal kit
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=980

It's not the shaft. Each blade has the same housing clearance. Brain fart on my part. However, on one side the impeller to housing clearance is a tight .014 and at 180 degrees to that point the clearance is a loose .018 (speck .014-.018 This is consistent with each blade. So the question is could this out of round condition cause my problem?

After posting I looked up the prices of an impeller and housing. As a result I'm sure open to trying another solution like a grate and reseal. What bothers me is that we bought this waverunner new and haven't had this problem until around 17 hours ago, so it just seems the problem is due to ware or damage.

+1
    it may be corrosion between the liner and the housing, mine both needed changing around 150hours.

when you rub your finger in the housing you should feel a raised lump. sometimes you can buy a complete stainless unit cheaper than OEM

+1
    if its been used in salt water it probably is the stainless liner that is worn.

Won't know until warmer weather and we hit the lake, but it looks like the transom plate sealer on one side was smeared from the factory and eventually failed.

This is a very helpful thread and deserves a bump.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=transom+plate

After installing the jet drive, the engine wouldn't start. Ran fine before the jet drive work. Found the pickup coil voltage was off and it needs a stator coil assembly. I take it the pickup coil comes with the stator coil assy and can't be purchased separately.

Although it could be a coincidence that the PU coil went out on its own, I suspect it had something to do with R&Ring the jet drive. When I installed the drive shaft into the engine drive it went in easily--didn't have to force it at all. Anyone run into this problem?

Thread Information