+1

Cool advice on buying used ski

Hi...i have been searching for a good deal on a used yamaha....i was wondering how many hours is considered too much? I will be buying from a dealer. New to actually owning a jet ski so I want something reliable that won't give me many issues to start out with.
    Thank you and appreciate any advice offered.

+1
    Which ski are you looking at? It all depends on how the ski has been taken care of. I have seen Yamahas with 35 hours that I wouldn't buy due to poor owner procedures and have purchased Yamahas with 140+ hours that are extremely reliable. The VX skis are known to go thousands of hours. As a matter of fact, most rental fleets use the VX due to it's reliability, even after 1800-2000 hours. I consider any Yamaha ski with the MR-1 or 1.8liter a very reliable ski. As far as how many hours is too high, not really sure that's an answerable question.

+1
    I always say used you don't know the beating it took.....new is new worry free and you have warranty...........

+1
    Thank you for responding. I am looking at the yamaha vx deluxe or cruiser. The dealers have said they only dell used ones if they have been maintained there and they know they are in good shape...no idea if that's true though. Another option is a few dealers have 2014s left in stock at a discount but they still add so many fees on top of it etc I'd be outside of around 10k. Just not sure what my best bet is. This is tough!

+1
    If you going to spend 10k on a used ski......I'll put 10k down on a new ski that's my option.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Hello Mia57, Welcome to the Hulk. Just so you know you have opened can of worms with your loaded question LOL. Excellent middle entry ski to purchase is the Yamaha VX series they are super reliable & provide a great ride & and fairly fast. Can not go wrong .... and will not break the bank.

+1
    Personally, I would buy two, $5000, used FX waverunners, unless you have some buddies that already own skis. Riding by yourself isn't that much fun.

+1
    I bought my 09 FX SHO used with less than 40 hours it. I checked craigslist every day for about a month. I missed out on a few while I had to "think about it", but finally realized if you find one that clean with low hours, don't haggle over a few hundred bucks.. Make sure you get a good feel from the seller where he used it, how he used, and how well he took care of it..

* I would say if its less than 30 hours a season that would be considered low hours. just my .02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    I always say used you don't know the beating it took.....new is new worry free and you have warranty...........
    New is new but new is also extremely expensive. If a used ski is new enough, there is a chance it will come with some sort of transferrable warranty. The last used ski I purchased still had some of the original warranty plus an additional 3 years of BEST, at 60% of the original price.

As far as the OPs question, "too many hours" is pretty subjective. It will vary based on the model. VXs can run for thousands of hours.

Thread Information