Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back support

Back support

Probably gotta get surgery on two disks in my back. One buldging and one herniated in two spots. I ride a RXT X. I wanna get a back support for comfort and protect the post op work. Anyone think a MX kidney belt is a good idea? I do but I'm concerned about it fitting well under my vest. I remember the old gold belts from 25 years ago and they were really thin but the support today is so much better. I'm thinking a Fox Turbo will work. Opinions please.

+1
    Jettribe makes a back support belt for riding and racing ,look it up in their catalog as Im waiting for them to remanufactur as their out of large ...

Don't know if it gives enough support or is comfortable and unrestricting but for $30 and made for marine use worth giving a try...

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Jettribe makes a back support belt for riding and racing ,look it up in their catalog as Im waiting for them to remanufactur as their out of large ...

Don't know if it gives enough support or is comfortable and unrestricting but for $30 and made for marine use worth giving a try...
    Found it. Three positive reviews. Out of my size, XL too. Think I'll try it though. Thanks for the heads up!

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    are the issues with your back from riding?, or something else - if I may ask...

Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    are the issues with your back from riding?, or something else - if I may ask...
    Yes you may ask. I got a work injury in an electrical supply warehouse moving a reel of wire 30 years ago. Damaged soft tissue in the lower left side lumbar. Everyone blew me off because I was 21 when it happened and thought I was faking. I've been fighting the good fight struggling with it since. When I got knocked off of comp I went to work. HANGING SHEETROCK and went to school evenings full time year round full load in the evenings to get my first degree. Did it in half the time. I had to quit the sheetrocking, which was the only thing available to me, because of the pain. Girlfriend's friends and parents considered me a bum so she cheated on me but sure enjoyed my money. My doc told me 30 years ago I'd be hurt for life. And he was right. It's ruined my life. When you're young dealing with pain is a little easier than when you're 50. My ski is the only toy I have and the psychological benefit of it has been awesome. The endorphin rush pushes the pain aside for the most part. I have to see a shrink because of the pain management. He's told me to keep riding because it's good for my mind. Rant over. Anyway, I'm looking forward to surgery. Getting the best back and spine doctor at Mass General Hospital in Boston. Hoping for the disks to be worked on but don't want plates and screws. I want the back support so when the season comes around I'll have some extra help to retain the benefits of the surgery. Cool picture by the way!

6. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Good luck with your back. Im looking for something to wear as well. I may try the Jettribe belt. I don't have any serious back problems, just some soreness occasionally. Im sure the belt will help when Im out on the big waves getting my ass kicked. I bet that RXPX seat helps some too.

I'm 6'4" and was taxing a beating on my 08 RXPX. I bought an RXTX. That big soft cushy seat and the bigger hull really helped. Finally I feel completely stable on a ski.

+1
    J/W what surgery options you're considering? Vertebrae fusion? Artificial discs?

I also have 2 herniated discs (L4-L5 and L5-S1) from a snowboarding accident last NYE, neurosurgeon think's I'm too young (28y/o) for serious surgery if I'm getting by with just PT. At least I've been able to return to skiing and boarding, but I still can't bend over w/o needing to support myself using my arm.

+1
    Sounds like a good reason to go with a suspension Ski next time

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to go with a suspension Ski next time
    It does make a difference.

Have you considered some type of modification to your seat to form a back rest similar to what some people put on cruiser-style motorcycles? You might have to get a little creative but I'm sure you could make it work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information