+1

New rebuilt motor advice

Just rebuilt a 2010 4tec SC motor all new. New bearings, bolts, gaskets, rings, hone, valve job. Everything is with in factory specs. This is probably about the 10th + motor I have done. My problem and not sure what is wrong. After putting the motor back in I ran it for a few seconds maybe a minute. Shut if off after maybe 10 minutes I restarted it a few seconds later it started to smoke A Lot and I mean a lot. SC was not it! Took the motor back out and tore it down. The center cyclinder was the one with all the oil in it. The only thing I can find wrong is the rings moved on me and was 1/4 apart instead of 1/3. Could this cause that make oil to pass in that short of time? I really don't think so. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks

+1
    stick a paper towl down the intake ports on that cylinder and rub the valves to make sure there's no oil on em

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    stick a paper towl down the intake ports on that cylinder and rub the valves to make sure there's no oil on em
    ? Not sure what your saying? Head is off now and took the valves out and looked at the seals on that cylinder. Everything looked ok. There was some oil in that middle intake.

+1
    that's what I'm saying. clean oil is impossible to see on a valve. you basically just confirmed you have a guide leak.

+1
    if the guides were worn, you would not have been able to accurately cut a valve job. I have seen people rip valve seals putting them on and they still don't smoke that bad. If its as bad as you said it was, I would look into the oil rings. Did you put the 2nd ring on correctly?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    if the guides were worn, you would not have been able to accurately cut a valve job. I have seen people rip valve seals putting them on and they still don't smoke that bad. If its as bad as you said it was, I would look into the oil rings. Did you put the 2nd ring on correctly?
    I believe all the rings was on correctly. It was like the oil pump was pumping oil in to that cyclinder.

I think im going to put it back together with a different head and see what happens. Do you think I should use a new head gasket?

+1
    Yes

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post
    I believe all the rings was on correctly. It was like the oil pump was pumping oil in to that cyclinder.

I think im going to put it back together with a different head and see what happens. Do you think I should use a new head gasket?
    I dare say if you were getting that much oil into the cylinder, you would've glazed the bore... What does it look like compared to the other 2?
    You certain the rings are facing the right way up?

Regarding the ring orientation - Piston rings spin anyway, it doesnt really matter too much what orientation they're installed in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joewharton2 View Post

I dare say if you were getting that much oil into the cylinder, you would've glazed the bore... What does it look like compared to the other 2?
    You certain the rings are facing the right way up?

Regarding the ring orientation - Piston rings spin anyway, it doesnt really matter too much what orientation they're installed in.
    You could be right on the glazed...will need to look at it.
    I was looking at the rings as I was removing to make sure they were the right way. Now I'm not 100% sure but 95% they were right.

Thread Information