Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plastidip ?

+1

Plastidip ?

In my black plastic conversion process on my FZS, I decided not to spring for the $120 on the lower seat base and Plastidip it instead. I have used it in the past on multiple applications and have been very happy with its durability. This particular piece doesn't see much human contact so I figured this was the best option. Has anyone else used it on their ski, anywhere?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRAB BAR.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	350326  

+1
    theres someone who dipped a whole ski in a color changing chameleon.. pretty cool..

i have plasti dipped high end cars professionally as a side gig, durability all depends on how many coats you put on and how you apply it.. did you use plasti dip? or halo ?

to be honest, i have thought about dipping the whole bottom of the ski with 8-12 heavy coats of dip to prevent against scratches from beaching it.. BUT i can see it causing loss of top end speed..

+1
    I used PlastiDip and I made sure the surface was EXTREMELY clean. As a matter of fact, I bumped the piece when it was still wet so I let the area dry and peeled it to start over. It was NOT fun and had adhered very well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    I used PlastiDip and I made sure the surface was EXTREMELY clean. As a matter of fact, I bumped the piece when it was still wet so I let the area dry and peeled it to start over. It was NOT fun and had adhered very well.
    for some reason some people hate plasti dip.. i happen to love it... holds up to salt water extremely well.. i usually dip my whole car for the winter time to help reduce some torture on my car from salted and sanded roads, and to help with scratches.. my car is an anthracite grey this winter, lol.

i found that if you get some denatured alcohol and prep what you want to dip before hand, the dip holds extremely well.. and if you happen to get any small scuffs in the dip.. spray your finger with some paint thinner or naptha and lightly rub it in a circle motion.. itll re-liquidfy the dip and fill in the scratch without having to peel and re dip the whole thing.. have you thought about doing anything else on the ski ?

+1
    I did the chrome bezels on the hood of my rxp as well as the knee pads and handle bad trims. it held up good until something started to rub it and it started to peel. it was mainly a problem on the knee pads and handle bar trims.

buddy of mine did the rims of his challenger and it held up for 6 months or so before needing touch up. it cool stuff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    for some reason some people hate plasti dip.. i happen to love it... holds up to salt water extremely well.. i usually dip my whole car for the winter time to help reduce some torture on my car from salted and sanded roads, and to help with scratches.. my car is an anthracite grey this winter, lol.

i found that if you get some denatured alcohol and prep what you want to dip before hand, the dip holds extremely well.. and if you happen to get any small scuffs in the dip.. spray your finger with some paint thinner or naptha and lightly rub it in a circle motion.. itll re-liquidfy the dip and fill in the scratch without having to peel and re dip the whole thing.. have you thought about doing anything else on the ski ?
    Well, I don't have anything else that I want black or I would, LOL

+1
    You know you can get almost any color you want.
    check this out
    https://www.dipyourcar.com/Full-Spec...FYI_aQodqqwAWA

I have an avalanche with the body panels that i did two years ago. Apart from a couple of places like around the tailgate it still looks good. To touch it up is easy.

+1
    Yeah, I saw those guys do a demo.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    You know you can get almost any color you want.
    check this out
    https://www.dipyourcar.com/Full-Spec...FYI_aQodqqwAWA

I have an avalanche with the body panels that i did two years ago. Apart from a couple of places like around the tailgate it still looks good. To touch it up is easy.
    There's also larger gallon containers and kits that allow you to even mix your own custom colors. Of course you have to have/use your own sprayer for that since it isn't in the spray paint style cans.

+1
    im actually the only dipyourcar certified installer on long island and one of two in new york state.. great bunch of people to work with.. its really fairly simple once you get the hang of it.. start to finish i can do a whole car in about 6 hours.. we used to get alot of dealer cars in for clear coat to protect the paint for a lease..

the hard part once you start getting into smaller areas, is getting it all off when you dont want it anymore !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information