Bungee strap for a jet ski - (A leg rope for your hand)

Don't know if this has been done before but I fitted a 2.5m x 16mm surgical rubber strap to my ski and attached the other end to my wrist so I don't have to swim so far to get back on the ski in the surf.

I don't recommend you do it because if the strap breaks it could do you some serious damage when it springs back. I fitted Velcro straps on both ends to minimise the damage if it does spring back.

I was worried it might pull my arm so hard it would do damage but it is a really soft pull and wasn't a problem. It actually worked really well except the 2.5m stretched to much about 6-7m. I will replace it with a heavier rubber and shorten it as much as possible.

I also fitted a strap on the emergency switch to lift up and get going quickly but it didn't work very well - I will work on that some more...

Much like your other post on the switch. i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...maybe post pics or something, cause none of this makes any sense...

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Much like your other post on the switch. i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...maybe post pics or something, cause none of this makes any sense...
    Wait, youre not tying the ski to your arm via bungie cord are ya?? 16 mm rubbers like what they use on spearguns? Seems like a good way to kill yourself

+1
    If you fall off it is a good thing to be away from your ski in most cases. Is it that you can't swim? I think your a little looney! Very BAD idea. LOL

Ive got some state of the art speargun rubber at 20mm... We can get you a 15 foot length that stretches to 40 feet and tie it to the tow hook on the stern. When you fall off it will literally spring you right back on the ski. Think bungie jumping. I have 1700 lb tuna cord so no worries about anything breaking off and hitting you. Dont wanna hurt you or anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Ive got some state of the art speargun rubber at 20mm... We can get you a 15 foot length that stretches to 40 feet and tie it to the tow hook on the stern. When you fall off it will literally spring you right back on the ski. Think bungie jumping. I have 1700 lb tuna cord so no worries about anything breaking off and hitting you. Dont wanna hurt you or anything.

Banned User
    +1
    This whole thing sounds like a terrible idea on so many levels. If you can't actually swim back to your ski if you come off, you either shouldn't be on a ski or you should ride in water where the risk of coming off is near zero.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Don't know if this has been done before but I fitted a 2.5m x 16mm surgical rubber strap to my ski and attached the other end to my wrist so I don't have to swim so far to get back on the ski in the surf.

I don't recommend you do it because if the strap breaks it could do you some serious damage when it springs back. I fitted Velcro straps on both ends to minimise the damage if it does spring back.

I was worried it might pull my arm so hard it would do damage but it is a really soft pull and wasn't a problem. It actually worked really well except the 2.5m stretched to much about 6-7m. I will replace it with a heavier rubber and shorten it as much as possible.

I also fitted a strap on the emergency switch to lift up and get going quickly but it didn't work very well - I will work on that some more...
    You have described something that has definite risks of going badly, and you recommend others do not do this very thing.

The real risk is the rubber tether causes injury during an unintentional dismount. You will have no control over the angles of yank nor the timing. The rubber could pull your arm in a weird direction, behind your back or over your head, or both at once. The thing could intercept your neck or face. Flying off a watercraft can happen in unpredictable ways, and it happens in an eyeblink.

Even when you are riding, having a long length of rubber 'string' flopping around in the breeze means it could wrap around the rider or something on the machine. Making it shorter greatly affects what happens if/when you do fly off.

In my opinion, the primary countermeasures for a sudden dismount is physical fitness and ability to swim back to the watercraft, and having a riding buddy nearby. If you are injured and cannot reboard or cannot ride then your buddy can tow your watercraft and you ride on the back of his seat.

Deleted - Repeated post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Don't know if this has been done before
    I guess that's a "NO" then

Thread Information