Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Rip's MSX 140 Rebuild and Random Qs

So I'm slowing gaining momentum on my MSX 140 rebuild (c'mon Spring!). Thought I'd make a thread to ask all my random Qs.

2003 Polaris MSX 140
    I picked it up last fall... broken and cheap. The overall condition is decent to good. It's a well used craft, but the PO used a dealer for servicing so that gave me some piece of mind. He had the dealer diagnosis a bad cylinder... then decided to sell it. The engine failure happened in mid-summer 2014... so it was recently working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1997.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	350467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1996.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	350468

I had hoped it was just a bad piston/cylinder... but later found out the lower end was trashed. It melted down the PTO piston and broke off chunks of the piston skirt. These chunks damaged the cylinder, potted the head and sadly got below the crank. This caused the crank/rod to bust out a hole in the case and trash the crank/rod bearing... total loss.

Name:	SAM_1994.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	350470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX140_busted_case.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	350469

Well... not one for parting-out... and having already started buying known needed parts before I fully diagnosed the damage (doh!)... I've decided to rebuild it.

Beyond the described damage... the rest of the craft seems in fine order. Looks like the MSX 140 recall items have been completed. I see fuel line abrasion protection sleeves and the exhaust temp sensor bumper and clip. Makes sense, being a dealer serviced craft. DW shows 200-ish hours on it (EMM stored value)... and shows 85% of it's life spend at the 4-5k rpm cruising range.

Further disassembly showed me this engine had a previous PTO cylinder replaced on it (diff gaskets, non-stock RTV on exhaust mani). But the PO never mentioned it... so can't say when in the past 11 years that happened.

So far... I've gotten a good used lower end (crank and cases), another good cylinder/piston/head combo, new rings (for 800 sled), rebuild gasket set, new plugs.

I've also had the EMM repaired/refurbed... so that should be good for another 10 years.

Next up...
    - rebuild the engine... I've got it full disassembled and cleaned... just about ready to start putting it back together

- rebuild thru-hull bearing... gonna pin the bearing carrier location via the twin 1/8" drill bit trick first

- rebuild/inspect jet pump... looks clean and bearings feel smooth... still gotta disassemble to inspect

- pull fuel pump canister... really hoping a failed FPR is the cause of original failure... reinforce FPR... clean tank

- pull and repair stiff reverse lever mechanism... if broken, I might consider an MSX 150 mechanism swap

- clean and put back together

Cheers!

+1
    So on to my questions...

- Crankshaft bearing retaining cir-clips. Both original and replacement cranks have the clip between MAG and CEN (red arrow). I see on the cases a groove that looks like it could hold another one at the front of the MAG bearings (green arrow). Should there be one there when installed?

Name:	MSX140-crank.JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	350472

- Exhaust manifold gasket or no-gasket? I read where they didn't use gaskets... just high-temp RTV. I have gaskets from my set... that match fine... will need just a tad port matching the main opening. Any reason *not* to use them?

- Starter bendix washer spring? Should the 140 bendix have a washer and spring on the front side? I seem to recall reading they all did... but I found none on mine. If so, same washer/spring as all the others?

All for now... Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    The MSX 150 reverse mechanism is not a direct bolt in swap. You would have to get creative. I hope you can do it and show how it works out. There are a lot of the 150 mechanisms out there and they are pretty cheap.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    So on to my questions...

- Crankshaft bearing retaining cir-clips. Both original and replacement cranks have the clip between MAG and CEN (red arrow). I see on the cases a groove that looks like it could hold another one at the front of the MAG bearings (green arrow). Should there be one there when installed?

Name:	MSX140-crank.JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	350472
    When I rebuilt my own MSX 140 engine I was advised to install the front circlip even though there was not one present when the factory original engine was torn down.

I had to go out of my way to source the extra circlip as I did not have any spares on hand.

I also installed the recommended teflon Polaris snowmobile inner rear crank shaft seal along with a Polaris watercraft OEM outer seal instead of the factory dual watercraft Polaris seals. A new front mag seal is also recommended.

Note that Polaris OEM seals are very high quality, worth the money in this application.

Have fun removing the PTO drive coupler from a naked crankshaft!

Banned User
    +1
    Use the exhaust gaskets

+1
    Cool... thanks for all confirmation on the gaskets... and tips for a happy crank!

Yeah... I'm curious to get my hands on the 140 reverse mechanism... and compare it to the one in my 150. The reverse on the 150 works nice!

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    The 140 reverse mechanism is a lot more complicated than the 150 one. Its the same unit used on the Virages. I like the 150 mechanism. Its really simple and looks like it would be almost bullet proof.

Banned User
    +1
    That ski may need some new sponsons

9. +1 by:

+1
    More progress today. Got the fuel tank moved rearward so I could pull the fuel pump canister. And what did I find?

Name:	missing-fpr.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	350525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lost-fpr.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	350524

Huzzah! One failed FPR. Now I know what killed the engine. Time for K's FPR fix mod.

Next up... pull the reverse mechanism. Need to go review K's how-to thread.

New Question:
    What kind of bolts hold the throttle bodies to the intake manifold? (Allen-head cap bolts?)

I could not figure out how to remove the TBs... until I then realized... there were ZERO bolts holding the TBs to the manifold.
    Must have just been gasket adhesive and gravity keeping them in place. There on there *very* good... I can't pull them apart.

Name:	missing-tb-bolt.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	350526

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    The long bolts through the flame arrestor base hold the throttle bodies on.
    Last edited by K447; 01-31-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Base

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information