Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Time to go 4 stroke. Is this a good deal?

So title pretty much says it all.

The gp1300r has been my favorite ski I've ever had but its about time I go 4 stroke. Found a 2010 fzr on craigslist for $5500. All looks good except one thing catches my eye, 180 hours. To me this seems a little high and obviously that has something to do with why the price is on the low end.

From what I can tell it looks clean and in good shape. I'm going to see it on Sunday, is there anything I should look out for? specifics to check?

Lets be reasonable here, with proper care and maintenance how many hours can I actually get out of this thing? I'm really falling in love with this ski but the hours.. worries me a little

+1
    Depends on how the hours were used. 180 hours of rec riding with good maintenance and it's probably just as good as new. 180 of beating and it's possibly a turd waiting to expire. Regardless, Yamaha will be the most long term reliable ski among the trifecta, no matter how many hours.

+1
    Make sure the clutch is good.........

+1
    There is no way to really test the clutch. The "one way" test is not reliable.

+1
    Will definitely check the clutch. He actually said about 60 hours was just riding it around like a normal ski and then probably 120 or so using it for work following his customers around at idle speed. Had a jetlev or flyboard rental company down in Florida. If that's the truth this seems like a pretty good deal to me.. but the thing is, that might not be the truth.

I read that to test the clutch you turn the supercharger impeller by hand and if it turns one direction but locks when trying to turn the other then your clutch is good. Is this correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    Will definitely check the clutch. He actually said about 60 hours was just riding it around like a normal ski and then probably 120 or so using it for work following his customers around at idle speed. Had a jetlev or flyboard rental company down in Florida. If that's the truth this seems like a pretty good deal to me.. but the thing is, that might not be the truth.

I read that to test the clutch you turn the supercharger impeller by hand and if it turns one direction but locks when trying to turn the other then your clutch is good. Is this correct?
    Yeah that is correct way to check a supercharger clutch. Generally most of the time if it doesn't turn both ways it's good

+1
    Can you run this ski?
    If it reach 7400 rpm clutch is good.
    in it stops at 6000 rpm clutch is bad.
    can you check compression on 4 cilynder?
    5500 seems a gooood deal.
    a clutch upgrade will costs 500$ and you will be fine.

+1
    if you are going to check max rpm's do it on water do not rev above 3ooo out of water or you can damage the clutch.

+1
    The only way to really verify the clutch is currently working is to ride it. If you rely on the one way, hand spin test, you may end up disappointed. Just take the time to search the topic. Its been covered here many times.

+1
    I would just assume you will need a clutch soon. I don't think 180 hours is a lot for this engine. I had the valve clearance checked at 200 hours on mine, as well as the rest of the engine, and it looked as good as new. The clutch was gone but that was expected. I believe the '10 still had the Gen1 design so if that's the case, it won't litter the internals of the engine with broken teeth when it goes. I would check the pump tunnel and leading edge of the keel for cracks also.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information