Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How many hours is too many hours?

Just started getting into 4 tec's a couple of years ago and I have been looking for a used machine for myself and my family members. Cousin finds this 2006 GTI 130 and it seems like its in nice shape. Guy says he is not sure how many hours are on it so we light up the gauges and it comes up with 577!!!! I could not believe what I was seeing. He says that the kids leave the key in it overnight sometimes when they are riding so most of the hours are from that. (I am going back for my own education and running it on my candoo for some details.)

Two part question:
    How many hours are normal for you in a season?

What kind of life-cycle does a 4 tec engine have? (I understand it depends on how it was used-abused, and if it has a supercharger and normal maint and all)

thanks,
    Jim

+1
    If that's true... Then I would think most of the time recorded by the computer would be in the lower rpm band. Not to mention...... The ungodly beep that would continually go off until his kids realized ( oh the key is still in) or the ski went dead.

Interesting story. To me, when you plug in and find out that the ski was probably used that long, it has to be close to a rebuild and I'd wonder what else he wasn't being truthful about. Compression and or leak down test to see the actual health of the motor?

+1
    That N/A motor is Bullet proof. I have seen many rental units at 1000 hours with it.

4. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    130 rentals around here often show 700+ hours when offered for sale and still are viable skis (these get very regular maintenance as you might expect and I'll agree the 130n/a motor is pretty bullet proof)

I'll go out on a limb and say the bench life of a 4 tec could be close to 2000 hours..any external factors will cut into that number such as sinkage, over revving.

I don't recall seeing the highest 4 tec hours posted here..but seeing 700 on the rental was not a real big shock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondwatercraft View Post
    He says that the kids leave the key in it overnight sometimes when they are riding so most of the hours are from that.
    That is simply not true! The hours are logged when engine is running.

+1
    I was wondering about that beep too! That answer about leaving the key made me suspicious.

+1
    Just started getting into 4 tec's a couple of years ago and I have been looking for a used machine for myself and my family members. Cousin finds this 2006 GTI 130 and it seems like its in nice shape. Guy says he is not sure how many hours are on it so we light up the gauges and it comes up with 577!!!! I could not believe what I was seeing. He says that the kids leave the key in it overnight sometimes when they are riding so most of the hours are from that. (I am going back for my own education and running it on my candoo for some details.)

Two part question:
    How many hours are normal for you in a season?

What kind of life-cycle does a 4 tec engine have? (I understand it depends on how it was used-abused, and if it has a supercharger and normal maint and all)

thanks,
    Jim
    How many hours an individual will put on a ski varies for many reasons. For example, skis in Michigan are likely to see significantly less hours per year than skis in south Florida. 577 on a 2006 ski is about 72 hours a year. 72 hours a year would certainly be more than average for a Michigan ski, but that does not mean it isn't doable especially if the owner has kids who are using it regularly. How many hours are normal for myself in a season? I'd say probably almost 100 which is more than double the average of normal riders in one New York season.

N/A Sea Doo 4Tec engines have an impressive life cycle, as others stated you can hit 1000+ on these motors. However, what you have to think about more than the motor in my opinion is all of the little things that tend to wear and need replacement over time. These items can add up and in no time leave you wondering why you didn't spend the extra money for a newer ski in the first place.

Buying used skis is largely personal preference. Personally, I don't buy skis with more than 100 hours on them. I have made money on every ski I've owned so far (knock on wood). This last purchase was my best yet, the deals are out there if you're patient enough.

+1
    I'm looking at a used one now for a second to our 2014 GTI 130. I wouldnt buy one with over 50 hours from someone without paperwork showing they've had all the maintenance. I just know that most people don't treat things very well. That's just me though, I'm also not very handy so I'm not willing to risk fixing small problems on my own or paying the repair fees.

That guy has to be full of it. No one who's selling something has no idea about the amount of hours are on it. That should have been the first thing he checked. He's either playing dumb or is pretty uninterested in the ski which likely means he's not been taking much care of it. I also don't believe the hours rack up with the key on it. My 2014's screen will only stay lit up for what seems like under 1 minute unless you actually start the engine. If you leave your keys in your car's ignition to listen to the radio you don't rack up miles. It just doesn't make sense that the Ski's engine would count that as hours. I'd be very wary of this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    He says that the kids leave the key in it overnight sometimes when they are riding so most of the hours are from that.
    That is simply not true! The hours are logged when engine is running.
    Sorry, but is is you that is not correct. The cluster hours on a 2006 show the time that the cluster has been powered up. The ECU, if read by Candoo or BUDS, will show the actual engine running hours.

+1
    I've seen my cluster hours change when I was rewiring my switch, WB and bilge pump. I had the key on and a trickle charger on for a few hours. I have quick disconnects on the buzzer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information