Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

MSX Style Individual Head Covers.

As we all know, the MSX cylinders use a different head/bolt pattern than the traditional 1200's. This makes any type of carb conversion difficult when wanting to get rid of the injection and selecting a dome/head cover combination.

Richie Sharp, former owner/partner of Sharps Marine Repair in Oswego, NY. and forum name Stroker 1450 on here, was wanting to get some feedback on some INDIVIDUAL head covers for use on the MSX based cylinder platform. Some like to use the MSX cylinders due to the extra 1mm bore and more importantly, the triple exhaust port layout. Richie and his father had some incredibly gorgeous 1-piece head covers made in the past, unfortunately they were as incredibly expensive as well.

He has come up with a design that may be much cheaper, but needs to know interest first. As we all know, when getting custom work done, its almost always cheaper when you have larger quantities made. Also, there is a difference between people who would actually purchase them now in case the need for them arises in the future vs. people who would buy them in the future if Richie had them on his shelf. It's the whole actual product sold vs. potential future sales.

What he would like to do is have individual head covers made in 1-piece. It would basically be a shell to house your dome. If anyone fears that the separation may cause cylinder base fatigue, remember that the stock pipe holds them rigid just like on the stock set up. For triple pipe guys, some sort of tie-bar could be fabbed up to tie all three cylinders back together. They do this in the sled market sometimes.

The covers would be made to house SLP domes.

http://www.slp.cc/

The reason for this is because the SLP domes are already set up for the snow pistons, which is what the MSX uses. The 85mm bore, squish angle, taper, and width is already good to go. Also, one could buy different compression SLP domes and swap them out for different performance applications WITHOUT the need for any machine work because SLP already offers them. Richie told me that the Polaris domes can be made to work, but wouldn't really be necessary with SLP in the picture.

Domes would not be included with the kit, but any O-ring/gaskets and hardware would be.

Anyhow, I have attached a video of Richie giving a brief explanation of what he has in mind.

For those that don't know, Richie and his father Ronnie have been in the game for years, and like many other of the Polaris gurus that we all have had the pleasure of helping us, they have been building performance 2-strokes for decades now. Ronnie is big into snowmobile performance and has built many a winner.

So tell him what you think. Is there interest? Enough of a market?

I just ask that we keep it civil and help him hopefully bring 1 more option to the Polaris world. At this point, we need our "team" to be as big as possible.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CrazyA; 01-31-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks Art, like I said, just looking at another way to go for the polaris guys, I'm not going to promise anything just want to get some feedback to see if it's worth doing, set up is what kills the price to have anything made and I can't answer anyone's questions on price yet, I will know more next week when I meet with the guy that may build them, I really would like to have domes made as well but we will see. Thank you Richie Sharp

+1
    This is a Sweet idea for guys who want to get rid of the fuel injection on there msx's and get the real power out of there msx motors and they look nice too and like Art said you can get any dome you want from SLP so that save a bunch of maching money on polaris domes

or run the msx cylinders on your regular 1200 motors to

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I would think you could theoretically use these on the iron 1200 cylinders too if they will also fit the Polaris domes.

You got it Bob. I'm not on here hardly at all but I would like to see guys have a way to do something with the msx cyl at a cost they could afford plus they could be powder coated or painted for the salt water, but I really like a polished billet look myself ��

Banned User
    +1
    I would be interested in a set, since Im going to have an extra MSX motor laying around........

You could Brian, but since they already have a way to hold the head separate from the cover there really isn't a need to spend the money plus the ears on the corners of the cyl,that hold the red covers on would show and look a bit goofy, but yes you could do that for sure

I think they will really work out well. Like art said if you have Tripple pipes you can have a tie in bar made. It's verysimple to do or just run the polaris water bar.

Ok I'll check back later thanks guys hope this helps some of you !!! Billet is so sweet looking especially when it's functional lol.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker 1450 View Post
    You could Brian, but since they already have a way to hold the head separate from the cover there really isn't a need to spend the money plus the ears on the corners of the cyl,that hold the red covers on would show and look a bit goofy, but yes you could do that for sure

But if you just want some bad ass looking billet on your motor.........

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information