EMM Smoked. Wouldn't hit above 4000 RPMS Right before

Ok, got a good one for repair. Running the ski in water I couldn't get it to rev above 4000 RPM. Verified spark, verified fuel. Check and Check. Pulled ski out of water, and connected 12v to the fuel pump to verify that fuel pump was operational, check. For what its worth, the screen flashes low fuel even though it has half a tank, gonna have to work on that sender unit one of these days.. After I plugged fuel pump back in, I started ski on water hose to let run and rinse. Ski shut off abruptly, and I noticed a small amount of smoke creeping out of the EMM. No there is no spark at all. If I can get the EMM repaired, I will go ahead and pull the fuel pump assy and clean/repair if necessary but I just haven't gotten there yet. Gonna have to take care of that. Any who, I pulled my EMM apart and found these two tiny capacitors blow to hell, any one have any idea

1. Why these would blow right after reconnecting fuel pump to EMM?
    2. What the hell do they do?
    3. If I replace them, am I setting myself up for failure still?
    4. Could there be a larger issue at hand

?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMM issues-038.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	350527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EMM issues-040.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	350528

EMM Smoked. Wouldn't hit above 4000 RPMS Right before

Ok, got a good one. I inherited a non-running 01 STX 1100 d (so non-running it had the hull registration stickers from 08 on it). I figured out pretty quickly it was a bad CPS, replaced it and tossed some fuel down the throat and she fired right up. Once I got it on the water I couldn't get it above 4000 rpm, and it ran like a bag of dog shit. Like it was starved of fuel some how. I verified spark on all cylinders, verified that it is getting fuel. Thinking that it wasn't getting enough fuel, I pulled ski out of the water, and connected 12v to the fuel pump to verify that fuel pump was operational, check and it was. For what its worth, the screen flashes low fuel even though it has half a tank, gonna have to work on that sender unit one of these days.. After I plugged fuel pump back in, I started ski on water hose to let run and rinse. Ski shut off abruptly, and I noticed a small amount of smoke creeping out of the EMM. I knew something wasn't good.... Now there is no spark at all and I get no jolly cause it won't start. If I can get the EMM repaired, I will go ahead and pull the fuel pump assy and clean/repair if necessary to take care of the possible starvation issue, but I just haven't gotten there yet. For shits and giggles, I pulled my EMM apart today and found these two tiny capacitors blow to hell, any one have any idea of...

4. Could there be a larger issue at hand?

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	153 
ID:	350529Click image for larger version. 

Views:	109 
ID:	350530

Banned User
    +1
    How long did you run it on the hose? The EMM may not have been getting water cooling on the hose and cooked itself if you ran it too long.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by davek1 View Post
    I started ski on water hose to let run and rinse. Ski shut off abruptly, and I noticed a small amount of smoke creeping out of the EMM...
    How long did you let the engine run on the hose?

How was the hose connected to the engine?

There is virtually zero cooling water flow through the EMM when using the reverse flush hose connection.

And even if there was some EMM cooling, maximum run time on the garden hose is two minutes due to water seal heating in the driveline and jet pump.

Edit: You didn't mention it is a Kawasaki!
    The Kawasaki Ficht EMM is very similar to the Polaris Ficht EMM, but they are not identical.
    Last edited by K447; 01-31-2015 at 05:52 PM.

+1
    ... I pulled my [Kawasaki Ficht] EMM apart and found these two tiny capacitors blow to hell, any one have any idea

4. Could there be a larger issue at hand

?Click image for larger version. 

Views:	280 
ID:	350527Click image for larger version. 

Views:	220 
ID:	350528
    I have posted photos of the EMM main board and power board, including those two capacitors.

If they are the same pair I investigated, they are in series and have failed for others. The correct replacement part numbers are also posted.

While you are in there, read up on replacing the infamous C89 electrolytic capacitor.

There may be other component failures but you would have to do some diagnostics to determine if, which, and where.
    Last edited by K447; 02-01-2015 at 09:21 AM.

I literally JUST pulled it out of the water. Connected the hose while it was off, cranked open the valve, and then started the ski. Doubt it had anything to do with that.

+1
    I literally JUST pulled it out of the water. Connected the hose while it was off, cranked open the valve, and then started the ski. Doubt it had anything to do with that.
    i replied with more technical detail in this thread in the Polaris section.

Maybe I should move those replies over here...

Edit: Your posts from the Polaris EMM thread now moved here

Im reading on the polaris thread now. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize the two were so similar until later today. I literally had it connected and started for less than 15 seconds before the computer smoked these capacitors. Any idea what these ones do?

Thread Information