Thread: 2012 260rs help

2012 260rs help

Hi guys, hoping someone can shed some light.

Low hrs 2012 rxp, has sat winterised for six months or so. New battery, Fresh fuel, Fresh plugs.

S/c Rotax 1500... Winds over awfully slow (not fast enough to get the ski to fire up) Starter motor becomes hot, and so does the lead to the starter solenoid. When plugs removed (less resistance on starter) it winds a little faster and free'r but definitely not fast enough to get it to start. Has spark, has fuel... i'm lost.

Battery shows usual 12.7 volts, hold meter on battery and attempt to start ski (put load on starter) it drops to 8 volts... Have tried booster pack, and also tested the battery and even charged it...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Salt water use?

+1
    Yup, I was just going to ask about salt or fresh...

It is possible the starter is bad (causing lots of amp draw). Get a mirror and try to do a visual inspection of starter. Doesn't mean everything but if you see crusty corrosions around the cable post, its possible salt has gotten in.

i have got inside it (well head down in there doing a virtual handstand on the engine) and removed it, bench tested and it doesnt seem to ZING like id expect a starter to do so. it seems lazy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyM View Post
    i have got inside it (well head down in there doing a virtual handstand on the engine) and removed it, bench tested and it doesnt seem to ZING like id expect a starter to do so. it seems lazy.
    RobbyM if that doesnt fix it ive had a couple of 2012 RXPX do the same and it was due to the S/C impeller catching on the housing due to an intercooler failure and filling the S/C with water! i really hope that isnt the case and its just a crappy starter motor

i was told will have water in the oil if thats the case? is there any tell tale noises etc if water in charger? it hasnt seen water in months so i guess pulling it apart wont show it?

+1
    There you go. Yes it should "zing" (but nothing like a car starter does).

While you have starter out, take it apart. The tricky part is putting back together the back plate because the brushes are spring loaded, when putting it back, I use 4" zipties to hold the brushes back then once the armature is in, cut ties so they spring back. If the starter has gotten water in it (and no damage), I've very successfully cleaned them out and put back in use. If all that scares you, buy a new/use replacement.

Pulled it apart. Have made a piece of tun with a slot in it so you can hold it against the brushes and slip it out once back in, works a treat. Its off being load tested today.
    Last edited by RobbyM; 02-02-2015 at 06:54 PM.

+1
    Cooler hasnt leaked, ski has had a big drink of water thru the intake, looks like we found the problem.
    This has me confused. Intercooler not leaking but lots of water in intake?

1) How did water get into motor if intercooler is not leaking
    2) If "big drink of water" is in the intake, it would have shot water 3 meters in the air when you spun motor over with plugs removed

Thread Information