Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

VXR Will i be disappointed without trim or a s/c

As the title says fellas starting to look for a summer toy. I know the vxr is bullet proof.. No supercharger with the lightest hull and 1800cc sounds impressive. I hear its snappier easier to turn and better on gas than supercharged skis.

From what Ive read up on most riders love the ride and are pleased. Id mostly be riding intercoastal.. ofcoarse there will be days of racing around wave jumping etc. Am i going to regret no trim or the flat bottom hull?

Obviously my other option is the FZS I like the 3 seater capability "if" needed.. 1 extra space for 2 ladies on back also I like how the hull has a deeper V making it able to handle chop better. Ofcoarse I know its heavier (harder to jump and turn) and a little more thirsty than the VXR.

Besides the obvious what do you think? Also Ive owned a few skis nothing S/C so what am I looking at as far as hours or years to avoid? I know every owner is different and the yamaha engine/sc combo are the best available so every ski depends on maintenance etc..

+1
    Every rider has his preference. It's not one size fits all. I would not want a VXR off shore.

+1
    As soon as you start talking about adding passengers, the FZS or FX is where it's at! If you are buying new, I would not even think about an older VXR, and go right for the 2015's (which should be available really soon) and are vastly improved in features & hull design!

With a username like "Speedfreak", I would be concerned about getting bored really quick with a VXR, or n/a ski. IMO when jumping up to a SC ski, the FX will have about the same fun factor as the FZS, but will be far superior when running with passengers or bigger water..

+1
    Yeah at the moment it would just be me riding solo.. I mean at some point im sure Ill have a passenger on the back but it would solely be me mostly. I would love to buy new but just finished college and im in the preowned market so looking for something in the 7K range.

Haha speedfreak came from my moto-x days I used to race dirtbikes but those days are long gone..

so how about hours im seeing a few fzs with 100ish besides a recent oil change what should I be aware of? Any year SC engine i should stay away from .. bad clutch etc..

My $.02. I own the vxr and it's an awesome ski. Just not for ocean riding or rough conditions. Inner coastal and lakes it's the perfect ski. Very reliable. Runs like a Honda. Put gas and change the oil once a year and it will out live you.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I don't think you can beat the value proposition of the VXR for inland riders. It's dependable, fast, and sips gas compared to the big guys. The lack of trim has never gotten in my way, and while I'm sure I'd enjoy the extra throttle response that comes with a sc ski I just don't think its worth the premium to me. And yeah, the 2015 looks like the ski to buy, but that's going to put a lot of nice 3 year old or less skis on the market for guys wanting to trade up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
    Yeah at the moment it would just be me riding solo.. I mean at some point im sure Ill have a passenger on the back but it would solely be me mostly. I would love to buy new but just finished college and im in the preowned market so looking for something in the 7K range.

Haha speedfreak came from my moto-x days I used to race dirtbikes but those days are long gone..

so how about hours im seeing a few fzs with 100ish besides a recent oil change what should I be aware of? Any year SC engine i should stay away from .. bad clutch etc..
    100 hours on the FZ platform is fine, provided that it has been properly maintained. Regular oil, oil filter, and spark plug changes is all the ski should need in that amount of time. Take a look for corrosion under the seats... IMO a ski with a lot of corrosion may be a red flag because it shows the owner may not have been concerned with maintenance. My 2009 FZr has 150ish hours and hasn't had a hiccup.

9. +1 by:

+1
    In Clearwater a guy with a VXR S/C (it was converted) it was a blast to ride. No trim was added yet, but it was planted in the water like a bullet. I see you live in Tampa that kind of ski is perfect for are Tri County area. I have a blaster 1200 and all I do is pray for some good waves and it barely happens. Offshore for us is nothing I ride my blaster out to the Islands in are area. A VXR will be just for for the gulf water, if you want trim added take it to Jet Trenz in New Port Richey I seen them put Trim on a VXR 3 weeks ago. You want more power down the road add turbo or find a used sho engine. Its a day swap if you know what your doing.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say you need to ride both of them before you pull the trigger.

In the future, if you wanted to do any modifications to go much faster, the FZ or FX would be the better platform.

Dont underestimate the desire to make it go faster, especially after you've ridden it for a while and gotten used to it. There's a thousand guys on here that have been bitten by the "Mod-Bug" even though they thought their ski was incredible when they first bought it.

Either way, get a ski that will exceed your needs not just satisfy them.

+1
    I enjoy my ski in all aspects of water. Sometimes I gotta work a little more but I have a blast!!

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information