+1

99 gp760 flywheel failure

My riding season was cut short last year due to a spinal fusion so I was eager to get back on the water. Went riding for the 2nd time in 2015 on Saturday. Anchored the ski, took a break in the sun/sand. Went to leave 2 hours later and it won't crank (starter spins, bendix pops, engine wont turn over). I didn't hear or feel anything give way while riding. Engine spun by hand at the coupler, nothing was inside the impeller housing/intake. Had to call someone to come tow me in. Got home and broke open the stator cover to find this \/. New (used) parts ordered. Will ride it until i pick up a FX Cruiser HO later in a few months. Keep an eye open to sale forums later when it does go up for sale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7091.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	350732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7092.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	350733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7093.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	350734
    Last edited by reactorpwr; 02-04-2015 at 09:37 PM.

+1
    anyone happen to know the part number for the bendix thrust washers/spring? i dont see it in the owners manual.

+1

4. +1 by:

+1
    thanks

+1
    got everything replaced today..seems to be running like a champ again.. will test it on the water sometime later this week. not sure if missing the two washers and spring had anything to do with the failure of the welds on flywheel, but I didnt even know they existed until i read another post about those stator covers/bendixes needing them. My old one didn't have one when i bought it so it ran for about a year without it.

Thank you gp1200270 for the pointers in finding them.

+1
    put some new traction mats on the ski last week. all my old ones were peeling up and being annoying when i was riding. was a pain to take off adhesive that was 16 years old. heatgun was useless. took rubbing alcohol and manual labor to get up the residue. also learned in the process that removing the rear deck mat required me popping rivets out to get the rear rail off. there was no mention of that in the installation instructions (none given anyways). rivet covers are more of a pain in the ass to remove than the actual rivets. everything is good now though. just need time to ride. tomorrow is a funeral and sunday i am riding in a mardi gras parade. maybe monday.

Name:	IMG_7138[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	351407

+1
    so..today was first day back on the water with the ski since last post. in my down time i ordered a new jetpump impeller housing (wear sleeve unit). put that on as I experienced about a 5mph drop since last summer. Visually inspecting the old wear sleeve, there was quite a bit of wear on it, plus reading the forums, it was noted that the factory housing became warped quite often. In the midst of swapping that out i noticed my solas impeller was chewed up considerably on the leading edges. I honestly wasn't happy with the solas when I put it on last year. The holeshot was great but I had no topend (compared to stock). I put the factory impeller on, but also ordered a skat-trak impeller and should install it in 2 weeks once i get back from work.

The question I have for you guys, will a change of impeller pitch affect fuel economy any? On the factory impeller today I noticed I ran quite a bit longer than on the solas. I can't point the finger at it anything in particular because I changed more than one item in the pump driveline.

Air temp was roughly 48, water temp was 51, and windy as hell. Attached is a pic from today (my ski, friends boat [drag me back to dock in case i break boat]).

Name:	pano ghi.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	352455

Thread Information