+1

supercharged or not - can't decide

Ok so I'm going to buy a 2015 Yamaha in March and I've got it narrowed down to the FX HO or the FX SHO. I just don't know if I really need the supercharger. I'm going to mostly be riding with my 8 and 10 yr old children on-board so I don't want so much power they won't be able to hold on but at the same time I don't want to buy a ski I'm going to get bored with before the 1st season is even over with.

Also, I want reliability and I certainly don't want a supercharger failing and taking out my whole engine. I've heard some horror stories on here and I just don't know how much of an issue this really is. Do superchargers always fail? I can't imagine Yamaha making so many supercharged skis that were all going to be in the shop for repairs with in the 1st couple of years. Seems their reputation would go to hell if half of their skis ( the supercharged half) had no reliability. As for fuel consumption, I know the power must come with a price. If I do chose to go with the FX SHO I know the added power will cost me at the pump, luckily gas prices are the lowest they have been in years right now, hope they stay low through the summer.

appreciate any input from you seasoned owners.

+1
    I wouldn't worry about it. There have only been a few stock units that failed, you have to remember many of the enthusiasts on this forum are modifying their skis, adding reflashes and/or pushing the envelope on their SC's far beyond the OEM specs. We have one member here with over 500 hours on the original supercharger (ocean riding included). To my knowledge, nothing else comes close to that type of performance.

Remember, Yamaha is the only manufacturer to offer a certified pre-owned sales program, which says a lot about their product. And when you make your deal, tell them you want to include the five year Y.E.S. warranty (that's FIVE years of protection). Personally, we have well over 250 hrs each on ours now, with zero issues, more info here...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189782

3. +1 by:

+1
    Depends what you are primarily going to use the ski for? I have always gone for the HO......most of our trips are long distance, where fuel consumption needs to be taken into consideration. We also have a SHO & FZS in our group.......fuel consumption is not too far away from the HO if easy with the throttle.....but I usually end up traveling faster due to the SC guys having to watch their fuel a little more......especially towards the end of a long ride.
    If you are planning to just blast around & not go too far.......the SHO would probably be more fun.
    Just as a note........both the FZS & SHO are over 100 hrs.......still on original SC, with no problems at all

5. +1 by:

+1
    Had a similar situation when I was buying seadoo Gti vs Gtr.
    Coming from my old spx, I wanted reliablility,fuel economy and more speed!
    I was worried about charger problems,rebuilds and sucking fuel. Not that a ski gets great mpg anyway!
    That was 2013, looking back on how I use the ski.. everytime I'm riding I wish I would of bought the Gtr215(supercharged)!!! Sucks being limited to 55 Mph.
    If you can afford the extra costs.. go supercharged!!!!

+1
    I'd stay with an HO.
    Bulletproof.
    If you and your kids don't get a kick out of a 63 mph ski, I don't know that 68 mph would do the trick either.

+1
    Look at my signature, we went with the rational argument about NA being enough... It lasted less than a year then we went supercharged.

Zero reliability issues, no additional maintenance except service every 50 hrs, it usually comes up on calendar first anyway. Average fuel consumption up about 10 liters per hour, from 17 to 27, in mixed riding, and that's the SVHO. Trust me, it's worth it...

Supercharged does everything NA does with negligible penalty, but has the extra thrill when you want it. I really think the only compelling argument for NA if you are undecided is a requirement for max range or pure utilitarian use like fishing...

9. +1 by:

+1
    I think you folks have convinced me, Looks like I'm going with the FX SHO. I feel better about the reliability now,but I'll definitely still get the 5 yr YES protection plan. Range isn't so important to me, I don't plan on touring to coast or anything like that. I guess the kids and I will be doing for playful stuff like shredding up the lakes. I guess I just wasn't really sure of how much of a difference the supercharger makes. Seems like from most of you guys on here, think its worth it to pay the premium and get that extra exhilaration the supercharger offers. Well, I'll bite! I don't want to have any regrets!

+1
    Mursegeorge,

Good luck man. I got a 2014 VXR which has the same motor as the FX HO. Love the motor, it runs super well. Great power! But for me I really wish I would have got an FZS or FX SHO. Hit me up this riding season if you need a riding buddy.

+1
    I certainly will twisterman, I don't know anybody that owns a pwc so a riding buddy would be cool. A 2014 VXR ,thats awesome! trust me I thought long and hard about one of those, but since I'll have my kids with me more often than not I decided on the FX. I appreciate your insight about the S/C as well. I tell you I've bought a lesser model of car, boat or motorcycle more than once and then wished I would have spent a little more. I can't wait for riding season, lol.. of course I have to buy my ski first but that's no problem. I was at the boat show last weekend and there were tons of boat salesmen hungry to sell me a ski.

13. +1 by:

Thread Information