2008 Kawasaki Ultra 250x with locked up engine.

I have a 2008 Ultra 250x that I bought with a locked up engine. Is there anyone that sales rebuilt short blocks or does anyone have one for sale? I haven't torn into the engine yet, to see what all is wrong. I don't have the back story to what happened. What is usually common to a locked up engine on these? Is there any chance it could be something as cheap as rod/crank bearings or is the inside normally trashed on these?

I'm just trying to figure it if it's worth messing with or if I should just part it out. I bought the a pair of these and just sold the other for what I had in both, so I don't have anything in it now so spending some money fixing it seems to make sense, depending on how much that is.

If I part it out, how much can you usually get total, any ideas? Thanks.

+1
    No one can predict what went wrong inside the motor without more information as to how and when it stopped... Was it after a winter storage, might be just one cylinder with some moisture locked up, or did it go bang at 8000rpm? Meaning most of the motor is likely junk.

How much you will get from parting it out also depends on what is able to be sold.
    Did it sink, is the supercharger still good? etc, etc..

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Chances are the pump took a shit and took the motor out by pushing the thrust washers on the crank, check the jet pump to see if its bad first, if it is , pretty much the motor is done for....
    Last edited by Aquaholic6801; 02-07-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Chances are the pump took a shit and took the motor out by pushing the thrust washers on the crank, check the jet pump to see if its bad first, if it is , pretty much the motor is done for....
    How do you check the pump? I've had it off to make sure it wasn't locked up, but it spun freely. If it took out the thrush washers, what does that usually take out? Ruined crank? Bent rods? I plan on pulling the motor and tearing it down, but it will be awhile.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    It usually takes the whole motor out, the head usually survives, did the pump look new inside, like it had been replaced? (I had it happen on a 2007 U 250, that was before it was a known problem), where the pump went out, thinking that was the only problem, replaced the pump 10 mins later the motor took a dump....search youtube for a video testing crank float on an Ultra 250....Here it is......

+1
    are you sure the engine is locked up and not just the supercharger, its more common for the s/c to seize. if not remove the belt and give it a shot.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I had a 300x come in last week with a LOCKED up engine.................

turned out to be a rock caught in the pump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheap easy $150 fix for the customer

8. +1 by:

Thread Information