Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pembroke to Matawa

I've seem some videos on the Pembroke to Matawa tour. I'm considering dragging my waver runners from Missouri. There is a lot of talk and bragging about how great this ride is and it certainly looks awesome but I'm not finding any detailed info.

What is required to ride on the river?
    Do I need anything other than a pass port?

Thanks,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are lots of interesting areas to ride PWC in Ontario. Not sure why you have become focussed on that specific river ride

In addition to various informal groups of friend that ride, there are several more organized groups such as Seadoo Tours.

From your location you would be driving some fifteen hours one way, give or take. How many days are you thinking of spending here?

Passport? Yes, that would be good to have.

Paperwork for the trailer, Waverunner, and tow vehicle. Proof of ownership and insurance for each.

Travelers health insurance might be a good thing to have.

Does your state have a boater/water safety certification? I think Ontario accepts some US state issued boater qualifications, if you have it.

Read up on the minimum required safety equipment for PWC in Ontario. I have posted the list elsewhere. I personally carry much more than the minimum.

Planning to take about a week. I looked at the seadoo tours but again info on this year's ride is limited.

+1
    rides will pop up all the time this summer.. just stay posted

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pnyxxpress View Post
    Planning to take about a week. I looked at the seadoo tours but again info on this year's ride is limited.
    Seadoo Tours typically does a ride each Friday, weather permitting. They have a number of routes they have mapped in the past.

Often they will look at the weather patterns and choose which ride area seems likely to have the best weather for the upcoming Friday, then announce the location sometime mid-week.

It is not uncommon for the weather to be quite different from one region to another, even just two hours drive away. Their home base is on Lake Simcoe so driving north, east, or west are all great riding areas with similar driving times (1 or 2 hours is typical). The weather is often the determining factor as to which area they select.

A few times each year Seadoo Tours might do an extended ride lasting two days, maybe three.

The other riding groups all have their own semi-structured schedules, but really the weather is a strong factor. Some of the lakes are large enough that a strong wind can really churn up the waves. We are also subject to line squalls which can arrive with sudden ferocity. Boating here really does require paying attention to the weather forecasts.

If you want to ride every day (or nearly so) then you need to make a plan. If you can hook up with people that don't have day jobs or are willing/able to take time off then you could have tour guides

+1
    ... bragging about how great this ride is ...
    What kinds of things are you wanting to experience?

Will it just be you or also a passenger?

Long distance riding? Wave jumping?

Landscapes and scenery? Waterside eating with wonderful views?

Speed runs with high speed distance coverage?

Big water open riding? Lake Ontario has massive scale, you can go so far offshore you cannot see land in any direction

How reliable is your watercraft? Really. Ten miles offshore in 300 foot deep water is no place for maybes.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    If you plan to do any riding on Georgian Bay let me know. It's a beautiful area with lots of destinations and places to stay. Plan ahead, fuel management on long rides is important And planning when and where to get it. There aren't a great deal of marinas with fuel on the water so be aware of fuel conditions at all times (on long rides). Also, plan for expensive fuel. On the water, I was paying 1.79/L for 87 octane (most marinas only carry 87). If fuel prices stay where they are now through the summer, I'd expect $1.39-1.49/L on the water.

if you're going to ride Georgian bay be aware that boat traffic drops off significantly past Parry Sound. Carry emergency supplies.

+1
    May I recommend the 1000 Islands between NY State and Ontario. You will need a guide. Alexandria Bay, NY would be a good place to stay.

K447. We are looking for a long trip. Lots of scenery. some big water. I'm just looking for somewhere new to go. We are kind of limited here in middle earth. I would love to do a SeaDoo tour but like I said there website doesn't have dates on the tours. There is a counter that says 82 days to the next tour but it doesn't say which tour.

This sport can be bit of a burden when you want to do some long range planning for a place you never seen before. Trying to get details worked out before we drive 1100 miles to find out it's not what we were hoping for. Thanks for all the info.... We may even head south.....just not sure.

+1
    K447. We are looking for a long trip. Lots of scenery. some big water. I'm just looking for somewhere new to go... I would love to do a SeaDoo tour but like I said there website doesn't have dates on the tours. ...

This sport can be bit of a burden when you want to do some long range planning for a place you never seen before. Trying to get details worked out before we drive 1100 miles to find out it's not what we were hoping for...
    I will do what I can to help, and perhaps even ride with you.

That said, these groups are generally not commercial operators running a strict schedule and pre-defined locations and routes. They are just people who like to ride with others and have collected a set of rides that they enjoy.

Which ride location gets chosen often depends on what the local weather looks like, including the wind strength and direction. For the locals, a heads up a couple of days prior is enough. We hitch up and drive to the recently selected launch location. If the weather forecast changes the day before, then the ride location may also move to an entirely different lake or river.

If you want to nail down a particular ride (the upper Ottawa River in your case) for a particular week, then you will need to talk directly with the various ride organizers to see who might be able to commit ahead of time.

If you have the ability to be ride location flexible then the approach might be to connect with a rider or a small group that is able to do multiple rides during the time you are here. Then they can act as guides as well as riding buddies.

How many riders on how many watercraft would you be bringing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information