Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Clutch and idler gear clearance problem

Hey,
    Ive recently had to rebuild after a blow up, the first block was repaired and tunnel bored, un known to us until we went to fit the clutch and idler gear in the few thou that was machined had brought the crankshaft up intern bringing the clutch gear up closer to the idler gear, now the problem was basically could get the clutch gear on but as soon as the idler gear was put in place the steel pin that retains the idler gear would not go through due to the clearance being so tight. I ground the mating faces of the clutch gear teeth back until we had enough clearance but within 15minutes it had chewed all the teeth off leaving a mess in the sump and no clutch left.

I have since done away with that block and purchased a second hand block from a fellow forum member when it arrived it end up being a HO Block from a 2014 ski, i then had all the oil feeds drilled and supercharger mounts drilled and tapped to make it accept the s/c those being the only difference between the blocks.

Got this motor together and went to install the new 13' clutch and idler gear and what do you know Its done the same thing again! install the idler gear and once the pin is half way through it locks both gears solid. I have tried a 2009 style clutch and gear with the same results.
    once again I'm thinking its a crank tunnel issue, but cannot understand why if the SHO/SVHO and HO Blocks are near on identical barring the s/c mounting and oil feeds.

Has anyone ever come across this issue and what has been the outcome
    The only way i see out is by getting another block which are near impossible to get in australia or to sell the S/C Setup and fabricate a turbo setup.

Any help appreciated
    Cheers

+1
    Chris at Brisbane Auto Marine has one

+1
    When you tunnel bore it, the crankshaft should stay in the same position and the bearing gets bigger to compensate for the cut

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alvirtue View Post
    When you tunnel bore it, the crankshaft should stay in the same position and the bearing gets bigger to compensate for the cut
    Thats correct, i can understand that the first block may or may not have been machined wrong but for a factory spec block size 5(yellow) bearings this is blowing my brains as to why these gears will not mate as required.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Did he drill the pin hole dead on center on the NA motor, That might be an issue.

Banned User
    +1
    Thats exactly what will happen if u use the wrong idler gear with the wrong clutch. It will almost fit. enough that it will go but not spin freeley.

+1
    Slap-ya count the number of teeth on the clutch gear and the idler gear (the smaller gear) and post your tooth numbers to us. The correct gear combination should be 57 Teeth on the clutch gear and 18 teeth on the smaller idler gear. Tommy Jordan

8. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    That was my first thought too. Wrong gear combination.

+1
    Ok i double checked the gears and they are correct for the 13' setup 57&18 also tried a 09 clutch & idler with the same results.
    Jim i also had the same thoughts perhaps the hole was set a bee's dick to low and throwing the whole geometry out. Although the machinest has a good reputation but still mistakes can be made.
    Just wondering now if i was to make the idler pin holes just a bit larger for the pin to slide in if that would cause a bigger problem, after all that pin doesnt do anything bar hold the gear in place.
    What to do.....

+1
    Had the vernier callipers out and found the pin hole is .005" out, This being enough to cause the clearance issue, More than likely from the machining as mentioned previously.
    Now will attempt linish the idler pin down .005" to give the clearance for the gear to turn free, saying that the pin is oil fed from the pump so the oil should still keep it lubricated enough.

This seems to be the easiest way to fix the issue so far without touching the block, time will tell how it goes.

i will update once its back up and running

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information