Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

GoPro stock tumbles at rumors of an apple action cam.

It is no secret I don't like gopro. I think they are way over priced with many shortcomings when compared to sonys action cameras. I have also made it clear I think they are on there way out. The reason is simple. They don't actually produce anything and can't compete wit companies like Sony and apple with connectivity and onboard programming. They assemble parts from sub-contractors. The problem is that these third parties also sell directly to the public. One in piticular is the best in digital video components. Sony. So unless Gopro manages to match Sonys firmware/programmingthey will loose. Companies like Apple and Sony allowed gopro to make a market and prove it could be a money maker and are now walking right into the huge gap gopro has left in there products.

The fact the stock price fell so far based on a bs rumor is yet another reason I feel they are a very soft company. I would never buy a new gopro over a Sony or what ever Apple produces, if anything, since Sony does apples digital photo/video components.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ith-GoPro.html

Gopro could figure it out but it better be with the next gopro they release.

+1
    I bought an SJ4000 cam from Amazon for $70 and after using it, immediately sold my GoPro Hero3+ Black.

Banned User
    +1
    Yeah you think Go Pro is expensive, wait until Apple makes a camera. Im sure it will be more like 600 or 700 bucks.

I know you hate Go Pro, but I have found several comparison articles that still prefer the Go Pro over Sony.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    but I have found several comparison articles that still prefer the Go Pro over Sony.
    Probably from people who get freebies from GoPro.
    I use a Contour myself.

+1
    I would buy an apple at those prices over a gopro at $500. And the way apple devices flow together seamlessly is worth tons of money.

longevity of apple products is another plus.

i don't see many real world comparisons that show the gopro winning unless there is plenty of light, nothing white in the shot, no sound, and they are not moving. Haha even then it's a toss up.

+1
    We shot some videos the other day just playing around with the new iPhone 6-plus, and I can tell you the slow motion video quality on this new iPhone is stunning. I would never have believed this kind of video could be produced off a phone.

+1
    You can thank Sony for the great iphone pictures and video. With an iPhone 5 you get the same thing with a software update.

The point is that gopros business hinges on there being the only game in town. Now they are not, and they are not the best, and it is showing in there stock price and its volatility. I mean the apple patten is only a prelim and over a year from hitting the shelves if ever. But apple is known for taking existing tech and connecting it to people in a new way.

As long as gopros software is behind Sony they will not survive and it took apple buying it from Sony to get it done. Sony has millions and millions in R&D and were on the front line of digital photography. Gopro buys parts and assembles them for a 500% mark up. Very little research.
    When apple make fun of your product in there patten request and points out spacific flaws it shows gopro is slow and not paying attention.

Hate all you want, if you had a billion dollar company that revolutionized this pov camera industry, im sure you wouldn't give two shits about what some randoms person says about you online. Go pro are (and will remain) the industry standard period.

Go pros fly off the shelf, the sony display case at the nearby electronic store still has the same dust on it from the day they put it ou.

Your example of gopro no being a legit a camera company is the exact same argument you could say about apple. Apple doesnt make anything...they just assemble components as well ....so does just about every large scale manufacture in the world

9. +1 by:

That being said, they are very pricey for what they are. But without those little shit boxes you hate so much, 80% of the tv/reality shows wouldn't be even close to what they are today.

Their story of success is remarkable.

For what its worth, i actually agree with 95% of the things you say, i used to dislike them as well, but i doubt go pro is going anywhere soon.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Your example of gopro no being a legit a camera company is the exact same argument you could say about apple. Apple doesnt make anything...they just assemble components as well ....so does just about every large scale manufacture in the world
    Depends what you mean by 'make'.

If subcontractors make components that are designed by a company, and those parts are made exclusive to and for that company, then the competitive effect is the same as if they owned the factory where the part is made. In this regard, Apple has their own core chip designs, including the famous A series of processors, but also uses other Apple-only chips in their products. The A8 and A8x are currently the highest performance processors available in low power form today.

Apple owns the expertise for designing their chips. They own the expertise for adapting those designs to new generations of chip fabrication. They have the knowledge of what capabilities and features those chips must have to integrate well with their other chips and work well with their own software.

It does not matter that Samsung manufactures the Ax chips for Apple. Samsung cannot make the same chip for themselves. Indeed, Samsung does not have a chip design that is even close to what the A8 or even the old A7 does. Same for TMSC or many of the other companies manufacturing parts to Apple design specifications.

One very important 'thing' that Apple 'makes' is their software. Apple makes the OS for not only iPhone and iPad but also for Mac. Also the software in their WiFi routers, Time Capsules and Apple TV. Apple also makes many apps, not only word processor, spreadsheet and presentation, but also iTunes (albeit not my favorite example), and many others. Apple even makes the Boot Camp software that allows Windows to run on Mac computers.

Apple software also exists in the iCloud services, leveraging massive data centers, which themselves have huge complex software.

Apple Pay technology leverages both hardware and software that, literally, no other company has.

Sony does make the camera module found in the current iPhones. But the Apple product takes noticeably better pictures than the same camera module when used in other smartphones. There is an important software aspect that processes the raw data from the camera module, and that software belongs to Apple.

Software development capability is often overlooked as a core requirement for success.

For GoPro, their future success requires many things to go right. Do they have the ability to create and expand the software, services, customer experience, hardware design, reliability, and maintain the network effects that have powered them to date? Do other companies have the ability to out run GoPro on some or many of these vectors?
    Last edited by K447; 02-09-2015 at 10:04 AM.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information