+1

Need advice on buying used

This ski is close to 600 miles away from me but I like the price of $6200 I've never bought used, this ski has less than 40 hours and is from 2012 owned by a 60 year old couple. They said no damage and will hook the hose up to show me it starts, I'd personally prefer riding it even though its cold there. Should I insist on riding it? Or would just looking at it closely and starting it be enough?

Here's the pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00606_kNnLA7CkeUF_600x450.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	351065

+1
    Based on the one picture you have provided, the ski looks very clean. To answer your question, yes you should always insist on riding it. Being in Texas, there should be no reason (especially temperature related) not to ride it. I once test rode a ski during February in New York on a river while it was snowing to make sure it was 100%. You can never be too careful and as a buyer always ensure you have completed your due diligence.

Since you are traveling 600 miles to look at this ski, I'd suggest you get the VIN ahead of time and have someone run it. There are plenty of friendly people here who have that capability and are generally happy to help. You should also use that VIN to check for a lien on the ski. I'm not sure how that would be done in the state of Texas. If that checks out, the next step would be to make sure you are happy with the pre-determined price of the ski. You obviously don't want to drive 600 miles to come back empty handed. I normally talk the seller down to a price I could be happy with and then try to bring them down a little more when I meet them in person and look the ski over. Any flaws or damage, even the slightest bit, is enough (in my opinion) to try and work the price down farther. In that regard, it is important that the buyer thinks you really know your stuff (even if you don't). Other than that, you'll want to have the logistics worked out ahead of time. I'm assuming they are letting you take the trailer with the ski, so you might want to bring a trailer plate from something else so that you can tow the ski back without much worry.

Good luck.

+1
    Thanks for that. I thought it looked pretty clean also. I saw a video that gets posted here about what to look for. They said a ski with too few hours can have corrosion. I would think this jet ski was used enough to not be sitting for long periods.

Should I be concerned if he can't produce any service records even though its under 40 hours? I know my jet ski was serviced at 25 hours. I'm not sure how important these two things are. I thought $6200 was a pretty good price from what has been seen so far. Most of the Skis around here are closer to $8000-$10000 on craigslist. At that point I'd almost rather buy a new one to avoid all of the wonder and worry of what a previous owner has done or hasn't done to it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    Thanks for that. I thought it looked pretty clean also. I saw a video that gets posted here about what to look for. They said a ski with too few hours can have corrosion. I would think this jet ski was used enough to not be sitting for long periods.

Should I be concerned if he can't produce any service records even though its under 40 hours? I know my jet ski was serviced at 25 hours. I'm not sure how important these two things are. I thought $6200 was a pretty good price from what has been seen so far. Most of the Skis around here are closer to $8000-$10000 on craigslist. At that point I'd almost rather buy a new one to avoid all of the wonder and worry of what a previous owner has done or hasn't done to it.
    I don't think you have to worry about corrosion with a 2012 ski in Texas, assuming it has been a fresh water ski. That is a question you should ask the current owner. It is amazing what salt can do. Other than that, I do not think that 40 hours over the course of three years is an alarming amount of non-use. People have skis here in NY that average 13 hours or less per season, I'm sure of it.

I wouldn't be concerned with a lack of service records but that is also why you should have someone run the VIN. There isn't much in the realm of service leading up to the 40 hour mark on that ski anyway, other than oil changes. You could go 40 hours on the same oil even though many wouldn't recommend it. If the owner changed the oil himself like most forum members do, he probably wouldn't have any service records anyway. You're going to check the oil when (if) you inspect the ski. I can't really comment on the price because apparently geography does play a large role. KBB in my area for that ski is $6,000 while low NADA is $5,800 and average NADA is $6,500. There is a 2013 GTI SE 130 (4 hours, purchased as a left over last year) on Craigslist here for about $5,800 (with a trailer) for reference. I like to think of a trailer as an added benefit that brings your cost down since many people include them with the ski. This is the reason why I can't understand why people spend thousands of dollars on brand new trailers at a dealership, it's foolish but that is a different discussion. My final comment on the price would be that it seems fair, but it's neither a great deal nor are you being taken to the cleaners.

One last thought, is that a current photo of the ski? I am led to believe it isn't due to the lack of registration information. That picture could likely be from when the ski was brand new which would explain why it looks so clean as previously mentioned. You're going to want to confirm when that picture was taken and possibly ask for updated photos if you are going to drive 600 miles.

+1
    Very good point on the lack of registration. I didn't notice that. He posted two pictures, the other is with the ski covered. I also noticed the bar code sticker on the hull, our GTI had that when we got it new. I doubt it would hold up for 40 hours. I really don't need a trailer, I would need to buy a double jet ski trailer. There are no decent looking double trailers in my area that don't have jet skis on them.

I also had no idea KBB tracked water craft. In my area the value in good condition at a dealer would be $4160. The more I think about this deal the more I worry it would be too big of a risk. Its 600 miles one way, so 1200 total. We'd have to get a hotel for one night. I'm glad I asked about this lol.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    Very good point on the lack of registration. I didn't notice that. He posted two pictures, the other is with the ski covered. I also noticed the bar code sticker on the hull, our GTI had that when we got it new. I doubt it would hold up for 40 hours. I really don't need a trailer, I would need to buy a double jet ski trailer. There are no decent looking double trailers in my area that don't have jet skis on them.

I also had no idea KBB tracked water craft. In my area the value in good condition at a dealer would be $4160. The more I think about this deal the more I worry it would be too big of a risk. Its 600 miles one way, so 1200 total. We'd have to get a hotel for one night. I'm glad I asked about this lol.
    I don't think its good enough to warrant the trip. You should be able to find a similar deal locally. Glad we could
    help, don't be discouraged from continuing your search and buying used. There are great deals out there.

Roll the dice and buy it! I would flip that for $8500 im spring! Whats their contact number? (;

+1
    I'm a little further away closer to 1000 miles but I have a 2012 with 33 hours already on a double trailer for sale for $5900.

Thread Information