Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Intermittent vibration at WOT?

This past fall/start of winter on my last run out with my ski the ski ran great and right as I was heading back to the ramp to have it out and stored for the long winter I gave it a couple of WOT runs. Max rpms on my ski with x charger, 42s, stock intercooler and ecu (other mods are handling mods and such - motor built by Slow91) are 8100-8160 with my 14/19 prop. While hitting WOT I felt a vibration coming from what felt like the rear of the ski. There we're leaves out in the bay as it was fall time so I figured I may have sucked something up. Stopped, sloshed ski back and forth, hit WOT again and no issues.. Right before I was at the ramp, the vibration hit again, I figured it was just more leaves, checked at ramp, no leaves. Vibration was only at max rpm and not until I hit 7900-8100. Drove home to winterize, no leaves in pump.. Winterized ski, it ran and turned over fine on trailer to winterize.. Pulled pump, bearings look ok but grease was grey and had some slight water intrusion so I am rebuilding it.

Motor was built by Slow91, not this winter but the previous with CP pistons, supertech valves, Riva valve train, etc. and all bolts needed to be replaced were replaced, pretty sure newer oem updated flywheel bolts.

I am in the process of starting to get my ski ready for the season and want to know if there is a way to set my mind at ease if it could be an issue with the flywheel bolts or not.. Any symptoms show while running it on the trailer? Could it be the bad grease in the jet pump or should it just be chalked off as mysterious fall time leaf litter giving me headaches and disappearing when I try to clear them from the pump? Motor has about 100 hours since being overhauled by Chris (Slow91) and has ran flawlessly

Thank you
    TJ

+1
    When is the last time you replaced the carbon seal? My ski acts the same way when it's time to be replaced I just put in the new one with the bigger collar and the issue went away.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
    When is the last time you replaced the carbon seal? My ski acts the same way when it's time to be replaced I just put in the new one with the bigger collar and the issue went away.
    The carbon seal, hat, etc. has about 40-50 hours on it max and has a bellow band on it as well.. The motor was aligned when the motor was installed by Slow91

+1
    pump bearings? my Skat pump did a nasty vibration only wot. swapped pumps and it was fine. replaced the bearings good to go.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    pump bearings? my Skat pump did a nasty vibration only wot. swapped pumps and it was fine. replaced the bearings good to go.
    I'll be replacing the jet pump bearings in the next week or so.. But won't have it on the water for another month or so.. The bearings looked good shiny, tight, and spun freely and smooth.. The grease was just grey, no excessive amounts of water, just showed signs of water intrusion.

When you rebuilt the motor I'm pretty sure you went with the oem upgraded flywheel bolts, or whatever you use, I'm pretty sure the only ARP you used were the head studs.. Are you still just using oem flywheel bolts? Think mine should be still be good?

+1
    the OEM flywheel bolts are good if torqued properly.. The bearings in my pump showed no signs of wear but it was the problem.

+1
    make sure the prop isnt split, cause mine did the same thing when it happend

+1
    I would pull the prop too and look at the shaft. Mine started to split and caused a vibration at high rpm, then let go later and took out a lot of other things.

+1
    Will do, will definitely look closely at the prop once I remove it to rebuild the pump, thanks guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    the OEM flywheel bolts are good if torqued properly.. The bearings in my pump showed no signs of wear but it was the problem.
    Well let's hope you torqued them properly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information