Thread: opinions...

opinions...

i am going to buy a middle of the pack, non supercharged ski. My wife and I ride together, back water and ocean runs. I am fairly tall, 6'4. I am looking at the Yamaha FX HO, Sea doo GTX 155, and the Kawasaki Ultra LX.
    Any one want to share their opinions on which ski?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Banned User
    +1
    I would pick the Yamaha. Its easily the best performing of the 3, and big enough where it should do well with a passenger.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve19 View Post
    i am going to buy a ... non supercharged ski.

My wife and I ride together, back water and ocean runs. I am fairly tall, 6'4.

I am looking at the Yamaha FX HO, Sea doo GTX 155, and the Kawasaki Ultra LX.
    How important is it that the passenger not have a bouncy ride on ocean waves?

+1
    They are all capable skis. For all purpose use and long-term reliability, the FX will be your best bet. The Ulra hull is a bit heavier so it cuts the chop the best out of all.

Possibly the Ultra, Ive ridden a few that my mates have owned and they loved them but Ive never owned one, so never really got to give them a really good work out in various conditions..
    Although I can speak for the other two .. Personally, I could safely recommend the GTX or, my pick would be the GtiSE.
    For slip sliding, carving it up and messing around, ya just wont get the same amount of playfulness out of the seemingly more serious design of the FX hull.. Sure, FX HO is still fun to ride .. But they don't seem to have the same rebellious influence built into their design that still links back to its original ancestors. Its a feeling that constantly niggles at its operator to rip it up and terrorise ..
    Maybe its a personal thing ? Not sure .. But I find that in flat to light and even moderate chop the FXHO is almost bordering a boating type experience compared to the Seadoo..
    The FX feels comfortable, safe and dry where as to me, the Seadoo expresses a little more wild and free type feeling.
    Although, in the FX's defence, I must say, that for tromping and launching over large cross wakes in already horrendous conditions and chaotic chop, I can remember back in 02 when the FX's first came out and I was riding past on countless convoys of 40 to 60 ft or more, multimillion dollar luxury cruisers heading back to port from the top of South Stradbroke Island prematurely due to a nasty change in the weather with a killer South Easterly on a FX 140.. It was during the summer holiday period and it was busy, I was busy and it was Awesome Fun !!!
    The design was just so forgiving and trustworthy that I was pretty much full throttle for the entire 10 mile or more round trip without any worries at all... Yep, that was one seriously hectic, wicked ass back water ride .
    However, that was about 12 years ago .. And I've owned the 2004 model FX 140, the 2006 FX 140 and more recently, the 2012 and 2013 FXHO's, and can't remember ever having as much fun as I did on that particular day on any of the later models.. Probably due to conditions on the water, never being quite as rugged or as bad as they were on that particular occasion. Don't worry, I've still had plenty of fun on them though, they're great to ride outside too.. Hell, any day out on the water, especially on a jet ski hard to beat..
    But again, 'most people' ( including myself these days), would rather head out to go jet skiing when the conditions were relatively good or even better, perfect.. And therefore, I'd pick the the GTX or GtiSE ( which is the model that I owned ), for its sheer spirit, manoeuvring ability and its fun factor on calm to moderately calm water including nice glassy set jumping out in the surf .,
    Just my opinion, on non supercharged middle of the park type runabouts.. And I am only 6'1 tall ...
    All the best mate anyway, hope this helps a little ..

Thanks for te replies. I am going to look at a 2013 fx ho, 24 hours. The owner claims to have a transferable 5 year extended warranty. Anyone heard of this type of warranty from Yamaha and is it truely transferable?

Banned User
    +1
    The only thing I would say about the warranty is make sure its through Yamaha and not an after market warranty. I think Yamaha does offer a 5 year extended warranty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    Possibly the Ultra, Ive ridden a few that my mates have owned and they loved them but Ive never owned one, so never really got to give them a really good work out in various conditions..
    Although I can speak for the other two .. Personally, I could safely recommend the GTX or, my pick would be the GtiSE.
    For slip sliding, carving it up and messing around, ya just wont get the same amount of playfulness out of the seemingly more serious design of the FX hull.. Sure, FX HO is still fun to ride .. But they don't seem to have the same rebellious influence built into their design that still links back to its original ancestors. Its a feeling that constantly niggles at its operator to rip it up and terrorise ..
    Maybe its a personal thing ? Not sure .. But I find that in flat to light and even moderate chop the FXHO is almost bordering a boating type experience compared to the Seadoo..
    The FX feels comfortable, safe and dry where as to me, the Seadoo expresses a little more wild and free type feeling.
    Although, in the FX's defence, I must say, that for tromping and launching over large cross wakes in already horrendous conditions and chaotic chop, I can remember back in 02 when the FX's first came out and I was riding past on countless convoys of 40 to 60 ft or more, multimillion dollar luxury cruisers heading back to port from the top of South Stradbroke Island prematurely due to a nasty change in the weather with a killer South Easterly on a FX 140.. It was during the summer holiday period and it was busy, I was busy and it was Awesome Fun !!!
    The design was just so forgiving and trustworthy that I was pretty much full throttle for the entire 10 mile or more round trip without any worries at all... Yep, that was one seriously hectic, wicked ass back water ride .
    However, that was about 12 years ago .. And I've owned the 2004 model FX 140, the 2006 FX 140 and more recently, the 2012 and 2013 FXHO's, and can't remember ever having as much fun as I did on that particular day on any of the later models.. Probably due to conditions on the water, never being quite as rugged or as bad as they were on that particular occasion. Don't worry, I've still had plenty of fun on them though, they're great to ride outside too.. Hell, any day out on the water, especially on a jet ski hard to beat..
    But again, 'most people' ( including myself these days), would rather head out to go jet skiing when the conditions were relatively good or even better, perfect.. And therefore, I'd pick the the GTX or GtiSE ( which is the model that I owned ), for its sheer spirit, manoeuvring ability and its fun factor on calm to moderately calm water including nice glassy set jumping out in the surf .,
    Just my opinion, on non supercharged middle of the park type runabouts.. And I am only 6'1 tall ...
    All the best mate anyway, hope this helps a little ..
    Good post. The reason your FX experience changed in the last few years is due to the new Nano Excel hull. While I love my Yamaha's, the Nano is well...........Nano. I've learned to appreciate it's pros and still get frustrated with it's cons.

Quote Originally Posted by steve19 View Post
    Thanks for te replies. I am going to look at a 2013 fx ho, 24 hours. The owner claims to have a transferable 5 year extended warranty. Anyone heard of this type of warranty from Yamaha and is it truely transferable?
    Like Bryan was saying, u will want to make sure it's 5 years of Yamahas official Y.E.S. extended warranty program, and not a 3rd party warranty.

When I bought my Vxr used, it came with 3 years of the yamaha Y.E.S. Warranty. I had to go to my local dealer and get it transferred to be under my name.

It's a simple process and didn't take long at all so don't worry. You do only have a certain amount of time to transfer it so make sure you get it done right away and don't put it off.

Good luck!

Thread Information