Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bearing seal or carbon ring????

I wanted to see if people think the bearing seal is better or not.. I like how carbon rings don't blow out bad and quick, but I also want to see if people think there is less cavitations from air getting by the carbon seal? Please I understand 2 strokes all day I just want 4 stroke people that have done both before for them selfs not hear say!!!

Fyi I will be running +275hp and rahass mounts

2005rxp

+1
    bearing seal=sunk ski.......unless you have a driveshaft built specifically for that carrier

+1
    stick with the carbon seal. Doo needs to make a mid shaft and a through hull bearing setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 99spxxx View Post
    I wanted to see if people think the bearing seal is better or not.. I like how carbon rings don't blow out bad and quick, but I also want to see if people think there is less cavitations from air getting by the carbon seal? Please I understand 2 strokes all day I just want 4 stroke people that have done both before for them selfs not hear say!!!

2005rxp
    I've got a conversion, MSX with 05 RXP guts. It has a custom machined bearing housing cut for the larger seadoo shaft etc. It has already burned through a bearing and was leaking into the hull. I rebuild it again and its been good so far but I'm going to build a carbon ring setup to see if that's any better for longevity. Especially since it is all off the shelf parts.

I ride with guys that were pushing over 300HP and they still use the carbon seal. If everything is lined up correctly and the compression is set right, there is usually very little issue.

Good to see you coming to the 4 stroke side! You and your brother have the 2 stroke market locked down! Why not dabble in the 4-stroke side too! Lots of fun to be had with boost.

Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post

2005rxp
    I've got a conversion, MSX with 05 RXP guts. It has a custom machined bearing housing cut for the larger seadoo shaft etc. It has already burned through a bearing and was leaking into the hull. I rebuild it again and its been good so far but I'm going to build a carbon ring setup to see if that's any better for longevity. Especially since it is all off the shelf parts.

I ride with guys that were pushing over 300HP and they still use the carbon seal. If everything is lined up correctly and the compression is set right, there is usually very little issue.

Good to see you coming to the 4 stroke side! You and your brother have the 2 stroke market locked down! Why not dabble in the 4-stroke side too! Lots of fun to be had with boost.

The 4 stroke market is still to high.. People think a blown 03 gtx 4tec sc is still 2k (barely 2k in parts lol). So it limits the parts intake. We have parted out a dozen 4tec skis and Jetboats. I just broke down a 2005 utopia with two low hour fresh water 155hp motors (mint). Thanks for the warm welcome lilman573!!

Eastside powersports is building my motor as we write.. Running 215 motor with x charger 137 etech wheel, 80 injectors, skat 3 blade prop, fizzle cooler, tdr box, nozzles and much more... Starting to understand these 4 strokes better every day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post

2005rxp

The 4 stroke market is still to high.. People think a blown 03 gtx 4tec sc is still 2k (barely 2k in parts lol). So it limits the parts intake. We have parted out a dozen 4tec skis and Jetboats. I just broke down a 2005 utopia with two low hour fresh water 155hp motors (mint). Thanks for the warm welcome lilman573!!

Eastside powersports is building my motor as we write.. Running 215 motor with x charger 137 etech wheel, 80 injectors, skat 3 blade prop, fizzle cooler, tdr box, nozzles and much more... Starting to understand these 4 strokes better every day.
    Eastside built my motor. There are some serious powerplants coming out of there lately.....

4tec market is weird. The ski is almost always worth more in parts, but you have to be willing to sit on them for a while. And if i remember correctly, you already have shelve upon shelve of parts! Winter is a hard time to sell anything around here.

a few parts:

LOL

+1
    oh your joking! give me a 4 tec!?

+1
    a few parts:

LOL
    Yup, those are the pictures I remember! I bought and traded parts with you and your brother when I had my 97gsx and 95xp. Good to see you on GH. I've always wondered why you guys weren't here too.

Both styles have their faults. The main advantage of the carbon deal is not worrying about a bearing failure and having the great potential if the ski sinking almost instantly. With the carbon seal you get some indicators of an issue before you have a serious issue. Such as cavitation. Over-all, I think it the Carbon Seal is the better answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information