Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 787 RFI Questions

Hello,

I purchased a 1999 Sea-Doo GSX yesterday for $500, and I have a few questions.

I believe it needs a new starter as I have replaced the starter relay, and it just clicks. I have used jumper cables to try and jump start the starter. I ran the cables from a car battery + to the + on the side of the starter, and the - to a bolt on the engine block, and I also tried running the - to the - on the battery in the ski. The starter still did nothing, and made no noise. I've tried tapping the starter, and hitting it with a wrench, and a metal rod. I have checked that the starter is receiving 12v by using a multi-meter.

I'm also wondering what could an excessive amount of oil in the bottom of the hull, I have done my research and the general consensus is that the oil tank may be leaking. I hope that is the cause, but I'm also looking for other possibilities.

How easy is it to remove the oil tank to check for leaks, the tank is almost full.

How easy should the PTO turn by hand? I can get it turn if I use two hands, and it's pretty hard to turn. I assumed this was due to the compression, and I removed the spark plugs to remedy that. It's still just as hard to turn, but I can turn it as much as I want with both hands, but again it's not easy by any means.

Is 182 hours a lot of hours for this type of Sea-Doo?

Thanks for looking, and answering my questions! Any extra advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by meatwad63; 02-13-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar

+1
    so, you replaced the starter relay.. when you press the start button, the starter relay clicks? one thing you can try is to arc the two posts on the starter solenoid to see if the starter will turn over. However, you also stated that you tried to go directly to the starter and it did nothing too. Two things to think about with relays: 1. low voltage and/or 2. bad new solenoid. I have had #2 happen on numerous occasions on my gp760. Think the seller i purchased from had a bad batch as it took 3 tries to get one that worked properly. You may still need a new starter. Can purchase a cheap one on ebay that to me is just as good as one you buy at a stealership.

PTO turning shouldve become a lot easier with all the spark plugs out. You may have corrosion that is restricting the turning.

As far as large amount of hours, I am up to around 300 hours on my '99 GP760, purchased with 220, put new motor into it and ran another 80+ this past year. I guess it all depends on how much you ride (or the previous owner rode)

3. +1 by:

+1
    Sounds like the starter is shot, possibly because of the hard turning issue. It should turn over easily by hand. Check the pump with a good light. Maybe the impeller is tight against the wear ring and causing drag on the motor. Oil tanks are a common area for leaks. Check the lower grommet where the hose comes out, also look carefully around the seam if it's a 2-pc tank. On those you can see the small cracks that start right at the seam. Also the fitting on the intake side right under the throtlle body is another area I would check. The oil hose can crack from the hose clamp over the years.

5. +1 by:

Hello,

I have tested the solenoid using a multi-meter, and it is working as expected. +12v after the start button is pressed, and until I release it.

I have went even further than jumping the solenoid by using jumper cables from a charged car battery straight to the start. Still nothing.

The PTO is hard to turn, and not easy by any means. I almost cannot do it with one hand. I'm worried this is due to not ejecting the water from the engine after storing it.

I'm hoping more people will be able to look at my questions, and share some of their knowledge.

Thanks guys!

+1
    The head on these seals with o'rings which are normally re-useable. Unhook the front and rear water hoses and just unbolt the head to take a look. 10 minute job TOPS!

8. +1 by:

+1
    wait, it should be 12v before the button is pressed and after released, not during being pressed. pressing the start button should connect the two post together and you should see 0v potential between the two posts.

10. +1 by:

Hello,

I will take a look at the cylinders when I get home.

As for the solenoid, 1 post will have +12, and the other will 0v until the button is pressed. I ran my + tip from my multimeter to the post that connects to the starter on the solenoid, and my - tip to the - on the battery. This showed 0v until the button was pressed, and then 12v when the button is pressed. I also did the same check, but at the starter, and it received 12v.

If you guys have anymore suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for all the help you guys are awesome!

+1
    yep, starter is most likely shot/seized up. you can normally pick up the starter/solenoid as a combo for decent prices. Even with solenoid good, it is always nice to have spares. just looked, 75$ish for starter, 15$ for solenoid.

13. +1 by:

Hello,

I also have 2 Sea-Doo HX's, and I had to buy solenoids for them, ended up only using 1 of the new solenoids. So this is a brand new solenoid out of the box.

Any advice on removing the starter? This looks like a knuckle buster of a job.

Also any advice on retrieving a bolt that fell from the bracket that holds the intake to the engine? I was working on removing the intake to get easier access to the starter, and well one bolt fell. At that point I couldn't find it, and put everything back together so that I could work on this when it warms up a bit, and not have cold numb fingers.

As for the oil in the bottom of the hull, it's about half an inch thick. What's the best way to clean that out? Tilt the ski, and spray the inside with a water hose, and let it drain out the back?

Random question, how is the GSX as a ski? I've never rode one, and I'm curious how it compares to the HX.

Thanks.

+1
    no clue to any of your latest rounds of question. never rode a seadoo ski before better yet working on one. may have hands in an early 90s model polaris at one point, but all my work since then have been on a 95' tiger shark monte carlo 900 and 99' gp760

16. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information