Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

STX 1100 Not reving out (Maybe Temp sensor)?

Hey Everyone. Been on here for a while and been playing possum. I have a 98 stx 1100 that's had a heap of work done to it. The biggest repair was the driveline seals. The bearing carrier and the alloy elbow that is under the electrics box. It had completely delaminated itself. I have since performed a top end rebuild and cleaned the carbs-- replaced the ignition wires with new plg,s-- and serviced the fuel tank and lines. Because I have never riden it B4, I am having dramas with it not reving out. It feels like its only getting part throttle. Sometimes it goes awesome and tops out at 90km and then it stops reving out. I read someplace if the temp sensor is faulty it wont go past 4 to 4500rpm. Is this true. How do you perform a test on the temp sensor? I have a multimeter but im unsure of how to test it.

ManyThanks

+1
    Are the carburetor slides moving freely? Fuel filter & pickup clean? What do the spark plugs look like?

Hi Steve. All 3 slides are moving freely as you rev the engine, and I can also see fuel down the throats as they open up. It has a new fuel filter. I removed the fuel tank and washed it out using I bit of metho to dry it out and spent a whole day out in the sun to properly dry it out. Spark plugs are black and sooty as. It only happens intermittently. If I continuously open and close the throttle it eventually picks up and hits full noise. The jetting is 50 pilots 1.1/4 turns out on the screws--165mains. Cant tell what springs (silver in colour) are in there but no doubt they are whatever the factory has fitted in them.

Ps; I done the Pre-mix conversion and a primer kit was fitted to the carbs when I brought the ski. Chokes plates have been removed and bushes fitted as well as the jets to dump the fuel down the throats.

+1
    You said that you had flushed out the fuel system, which is why I wanted you to check the fuel filter again.

HOWEVER, with the chokes removed, you've got bigger problems. The CV carbs use the pressure drop across the choke plates to measure air flow. There are a few people here that can give you some things to try, but I can't.

Ok Thanks Steve. I cant understand why it was ever done in the 1st place. Its a see threw stainless gauze fuel filter and its clean as inside.

+1
    I'm a big proponent of primers, they allow the engine to start so much faster and save wear & tear on the starter. The problem with the CV carbs is you have to squirt the fuel in some other place besides the choke shaft bushings.

+1
    How many hours are on the motor...total hours not topend

165 hours total.

I was just advised to put the ski in the water and see what the carb slides are doing then. They may work well out of the water on the trailer with the hose running, But it could be doing opposite in the water. I will take it out tomorrow and have a look then.
    Last edited by 1650bullet; 02-17-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Took it out today. Had the air box cover off and had a look down the carb throats, The slides are all opening up evenly, But I cant see fuel being sucked out threw the jet needles and going down the throats. 5000rpm is all it does at WOT. If I continuously chop the throttle lever on and off for a good minute, it eventually comes to life toping out at 90km and seeing 7-7500rpm. Checked all the fuel lines and breather, Un screwed the fuel cap and can hear pressure blowing out, and fuel pressures out everywere if I remove the fuel return hose from the carbs.

+1
    I think it's your front main bearing...
    Stock rpm should be 7000ish

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information