Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

So I have an opportunity to get a free MSX 110.

I know someone willing to give me an MSX 110 for free. All I know about it at this point is that she says it needs a new engine. I have been reading this forum for the last few days and see that parts may not be easy to find. So my questions are as follow.

1. I have extensive automotive engine building experience but I am as green as it comes when dealing with these boats. With that said, how difficult would an engine rebuild be as compared to a typical ford V8 with DOHC? I have also worked with supercharged engines as well.

2. If I do this and rebuild the engine, what block should I use to avoid the nikasil plating issues in the future? Or just go back stock?

3. What are the differences in the 110 versus the 150 and would it be worthwhile and possible to upgrade or is that cost prohibitive?

4. I have no idea how long it has been laid up but I hope to get a look at it in the next few days. What are some things I should be looking for that may be red flags?

All I am really looking to do is get it running reliably so I can take my wife and daughter out for some fun cruises. It does not need to be the fastest thing around, just reliable.

Thanks for any help.

Banned User
    +1
    Parts for the msx 110/150 are easy to get. They just arent cheap

What would a typical rebuild cost if I do the wrenching.

+1
    Just in parts depending on how bad the motor is you are looking at least a $2k bill just for parts.

If i was given a 110/150, you'd bet i would rebuild it. Just for fun! Where are you located?

I'm in Hawaii.

I was looking at one of the rebuild threads and in regards to using the FST block, how different are the engines and would it be possible to use a complete FST engine as a drop in? What is different about them or would need to be changed to get the FST to work in the MSX?

+1
    I am sure the Weber guys will chime in shortly. There are several rebuild threads that go soup to nuts on everything that should be done for the upgrade.
    SpannerSpencer's thread:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1818441
    Ripcuda,hill160881, SpannerSpencer, are a few of the names that i'm sure will have some great info for you.

Keep in mind, being in Hawaii will make your parts purchase that much more expensive and there aren't any PWC shops here that will even touch Polaris anytim

Thanks, I am reading Hill's thread now as well as K447's knowledge base. Pretty much answering all of my above questions.

Actually shipping here isn't too bad if I can get the suppliers to use UPS ground. UPS actually has a ground ship option that comes by barge. It takes forever but the prices are decent.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Free is good.
    If you can wrench, and have an extra $2-3k on hand, I say go for it. When you are done, you will have into it what the value of these skis are worth. Actually I think the last time I was in HI and looking at Craigslist, PWC's were considerably more expensive to buy used than on the mainland so you will be ahead even more.
    Post some pictures, how is the overall condition of the ski itself, motor aside.

Randy at Weberpower and Ripcuda are your go to guys for the turbo MSX.

This is the only pic I have now. I am going to try and look at it this week. I haven't seen it in person yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10452915_10204166694461442_801527015470960566_o.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	351497

+1
    Might need a new seat

I picked up a 110 hull like that for my conversion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information