Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RXP X 260 recap

+1

RXP X 260 recap

Been years since I've been on the forums...wow...had to even reset my password it's been so long! So I've been reading since Saturday I'm planning on picking up a new 2015 RXP X260 at the boat show. I've read through Jerry's post and wanted to see if the consensus is still the same on these parts. I plan on keeping the unit relatively stock until the warranty is up then go from there. This could change as the summer passes along but for now...

1. Blow off Valve- Read conflicting info...I put one on my old 2005 RXP 215 back in the day's. I've read now that some say don't run them anymore they add issues. I seen on R&D's site they suggest it but on here numerous posts saying don't run one. Is these a bad idea now for the washers? If used...is the Riva one still decent for a stock SC?

2. Intake upgrade - Was looking at the RS13110 ...ouch $480 bucks...is this one that much nicer with the velocity stack set up vs making up one with the parts here?

3. Catch Can- This was another on the buck list...seems like a must still....assume everyone's running them to help prevent oil in the intercooler.

4. Intake upgrade- Removing that stock filter deal by drilling it out. I would assume this would allow more airflow etc...just wonder if the dealership would hassle me over this? Is there a big difference on using this that is actually noticeable on a stock unit?

5. Rear Exhaust- How about this....besides sound...does it give the unit that much more power...is it worth the $300 bucks to make it happen?

6. SCOM/Boost box- I know this removes the GPS restrictor....but not the others. With me leaving it stock for now until warranty is up...are they worth it until I do the Vtech flash? The Riva or R&D better then one another. The R&D set up sounds like it is the nicer....but is it? I know these are as waste with the Vtec flash...but for "now" ...it would at least allow me to run over 68 with a different prop on it.

7. Impellors... Riva says use the 15/22R.....R&D is saying use a different one....

8. R&D intake grate still the way to go for not impacting top speeds but better hook up in small chop? We river ride...and lake ride...no ocean riding.

Riva's Stage one kit - $780
    R&D Performer kit- $1305
    R&D Stage 1 kit $2005

Was looking for bolt on mods now that I can run and not run into issues with the dealerships with any warranty issues. I will absolutely go with the ECU flash once my warranty is over...but for now would like to make it "dealer" friendly.

Thanks in advance,
    M

+1
    1) Do not bother with BOV...especially on a stock or near stock ski!
    2) The Riva intake kit is a very nice piece. I opted to make my own SS bracket mount but if unable to fab one up yourself, the Riva kit is worth it.
    3) I didn't run a catch can till I started spinning motor above 8500rpm. The amount of oil getting into IC below that RPM was VERY minimal. You can remove IC once a year to clean it if needed.
    4) Removing the intake flame arrestor is a very tiny upgrade. Generally only worth it once you have more mods done. Some claim as much as +1psi. YMMV.
    5) Rear exhaust will do nothing (except more noise) on a ski with limited mods. I actually like a quiet ski!
    6) SCOM. LOL. Here is what you do. Take the $250 you would spend on a SCOM and put it in a shoe box. When you are ready for VTech, open shoe box.
    7) On a stock ski like you are describing, I would leave OEM prop. A 15/22R is WAAAAYYYYYY too much prop!
    8. If I only rode lakes, I think I would use the Riva intake grate (even thought I am using the R&D).

What I would do if in your situation?
    I would buy only 2 things. The VTech MapTuner and 1 "tune" credit. I would then download and keep 2 tunes on the maptuner, the "8375" tune and the "stock" tune. When you take the ski to dealer, flash the ECU with the "stock" tune. The only catch in this plan...if the dealer wants to be an ass if something big fails on ski (warranty), they could look at recent history as stored in ECU and may notice a higher than stock RPM limit. However, the OEM dealer will not be able to tell you have a VTech tune on the ski (especially if you flash to a "stock" tune).

+1
    Thanks Sanfish...that's what I'm looking for. I will go ahead get :

1. Riva Intake Kit....
    2. The Vtec and Tune "8375" and the stock map file
    3. BOV once I'm running the 8375 tune or still leave as it is ?
    4. With the 8375 tune ...still worth doing or not doing the Flame Arrestor or no?
    5. What prop are guys running with the 8375 tune?

This will likely again be a River and Lake unit...nothing crazy. I'm def concerned about the dealership. The only one I have locally was acting like even a plug in Boost box or SCOM that it will void the warranty. He was not very friendly once I mentioned it and I would not be surprised if it would only be worse if I buy the ski from someone else at the show. The 8375 rune....what speeds are guys getting? I'd like to have an honest 74-75mph ski....will it achieve that with that tune?

Thanks again San!

m

+1
    The BOV will be debated constantly (in a SC application). However, you getting a BOV will scream to a dealer "look at me, I am heavily modified"...when in fact it isn't. Your interest in a BOV confuses me as you seem very worried about warranty. Don't bother.

The beauty of running only the VTech tune while everything else is bone stock...no dealer can tell. I recently put the 8375 tune on a 100% bone stock 2013 PX and was surprised how well that it runs. If you want more after that, then do the 4" intake and couple more things.

I was like you when I got my '13 PX...warranty, only want 74-75.... LOL.

+1
    Yeah....I know I know.....just hard to believe that in 2005 my GP1300R was running 72mph and yet with all this extra power the RXP X is not well beyond that with something to just get past the speed restrictors. We bought a 2005 1300 and a 2005 Rxp. I put the stage 2 kit on the my 1300 which was not really much in terms of mods and it was decent back then. Hard to believe with 2xx hp ...the RXP is not wicked faster by simply pulling the GPS limiter.

M

Banned User
    +1
    Huge difference in the drag of the hull between a GPR and a RXPX. GPR is a lot faster with the same HP as the RXPX would be.

+1
    Yeah very true very true. I will just buy it ...ride it stock until the warranty it up...then use the parts I will go ahead and order Thursday to compliment the "8375" Tune and be happy with whatever it runs. I'm buying it more for the turning then anything. I love to turn and we know it turns very well. We looked at the 2015 FZR also but it just looks outdated IMO ...the dash looks old and I'm a die hard loyal Yamaha guy but it just looks like a barge. The wife don't like it either so we will likely get the red xp instead. Ironically I did restore an old x-4 hull XP and put EVERYTHIHG new in it...including a fresh new 787 last year.

I just think that 67-68 is going to be feeling dam slow now that I'm used to faster stuff and the little xp only runs about 60mph....."GPS" ...but feels faster cause it's size. Hopefully the handling will keep me content until the year warranty is up. I'm sure they likely will be offering a free upgrade on warranty too with the boat show deals.

BTW when I had my 05 they all said the BOV was a must to help keep the washers from being damaged so that's why I keep bringing it up. It was simply to help keep the unit working as it should...no other reason.

M

+1
    I think you will be suprised how quick the rxpx feels in stock form after the break in period.

+1
    Yeah...I guess I had some decently fast skis in the past...and also a lot of superbikes....that were pretty stout in the past so 68 seems very slow to me in today's world. I know the water is different and my latest skis were Tim Judge set up's in my Blaster, Raider and GP1200's. The Raider and Gp1200 both would have outrun the much larger stock RXP-X so I was hoping it would be feasible to hit at least 72 when I mod it with the stock engine other then air intake, Vtec Flash and intake upgrade ...maybe I'm wishful thinking! I had a 2005 Rxp215 and it was decent..but my Stage 2 GP1300R was faster but felt slower.. I will get the ski purchased this Saturday and go from there. I likely will wait to mod it until after the warranty is up then do some stuff. The ultimate goal being a 74-75mph ski without spending an arm and leg...plus it be very reliable!

+1
    If it were me.... Well you know what I would do...

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information