Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Got a ticket for going too fast through manatee zone

So I get my ski out to run it a little and I cruise down to the landing between 15
    and 20 miles an hour just checking out downtown since I havnt been in awhile.. I had already been warned before to slow down so I knew to go slow through there.
    A marine officer pulls me over and gives me a ticket for going too fast through a manatee zone. I asked him
    three times how fast I was allowed to go there before he finally said theres no speed limit but that my jetski was on
    plane. We all know these jetskis get on plane pretty quick tho so does that mean Im speeding at 10 miles an hour when Im on plane. He also said my fire extinguisher probably didnt work because the pin was gone and I didnt have a whistle. I told him the whistle was probably under my towel in the storage bin and asked if he had a boat hook so I could reach for it and he said no. The whistle was there and the extinguisher does
    work I checked when I got home. He also said he was gonna give me a break because he road jetskis too and then
    wrote me a 90 dollar ticket. So the question is just how fast are you allowed to go through these speed traps and should I try and fight this in court. I been boating for 19 years and never got a ticket. Also it was clear what this prick was there for because immediately after he let me go he pulled another boat over.

Banned User
    +1
    I would go to court regardless. I have gotten a few tickets over the last several years for marginal BS. Last one got reduced from 97.50 to 40 bucks.

I took my BS tickets, all the way to the North Atlantic Fleet Commander, Fighting our local Coast Guard [knee deepers]. It got dismissed. Then I wrote a nice report against said, seaman. And made sure it got into his personnel file. Don't go down without a fight. If you don't stand up to them the just lie in wait for the next sucker. I am a Vet of the NAVY we didn't pick on the locals.

+1
    This country has been brainwashed to believe that law enforcement is about serving and protecting (wildlife and/or man) but once you truly realize that law enforcement (across the board) is about generating revenue, you will suddenly understand why we receive stupid, petty citations on land or sea. That's how it is and it will never change. Ever. Period. Most people will not fight a citation and even when you do, 95% of the time, there is still a "fine" involved.

5. +1 by:

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    This country has been brainwashed to believe that law enforcement is about serving and protecting (wildlife and/or man) but once you truly realize that law enforcement (across the board) is about generating revenue, you will suddenly understand why we receive stupid, petty citations on land or sea. That's how it is and it will never change. Ever. Period. Most people will not fight a citation and even when you do, 95% of the time, there is still a "fine" involved.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    manatee zones ( back in the day when I lived in s. florida) are basically idle speed only.

When you get snagged for one thing you will typically get hit for every single thing then can find if you are not bow-down cooperative.

Last seasonal guy that became a customer of mine got stopped for cutting too close to a boat..well he got that one, one for equipment ( no tow rope), one for improper placement of registration numbers, one for registration numbers too small ( 2 inch when 3 inch is called for) and the kicker was having an open container! ( agent found an old beer can in the front hold and there was still some beer in it!)

all because he denied being too close to the boat. The agent ( who I also know) told me that if he had just kept his mouth zipped and took the lecture on following too close, he could have ridden off with no tickets at all.

when it comes to law enforcement I follow a couple of basic principals.

1-avoid encounters at all costs
    2-if there is an encounter, limit answers to yes or no only. You've lost the argument before it started.
    3-if you want to dispute, do it in court, not on the water, you stand a much better chance of winning parts of your argument that way.

+1
    Hello this is just a little off topic ... as for water tickets. However, none the less, I was visiting my daughter in Denver over Thanksgiving and as you know I live in MO. I was pulled over for what the cop said was changing lanes without signaling. He asked for my Lic., Ins., Registration. After 30 mins. he finally returns and asked me where did I get the car? He went on to say he could not find a current registration anywhere in his computer system and therefore was going to give me a ticket for Non-Registration. I explained that the registration papers he was holding in his hand were in-fact current and showed good until 2016. (It was just registered 3 weeks earlier). I have had the car for 1 year already. He said not his problem, thus sense it does not show up on his system it must not be correct. The ticket he wrote stated I must appear in court in CO. on Dec. 23rd, two days before Christmas ....it would not be possible to pay fine by mail. I WAS MAD ! When I finally got some one to listen to my issue they said I could "Plea By-Fax" my case. After my court date came & went they finally contacted me and said if I would agree to accept a lesser charge of "Broken Head Light", and pay that fee they would drop the change lane charge & non current registration charge. As you can guess ... my head lights were fine, but were not going to let me off scott-free. The lesser bogus charge was still $90.00, clearly a rip off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post

when it comes to law enforcement I follow a couple of basic principals.

1-avoid encounters at all costs
    2-if there is an encounter, limit answers to yes or no only. You've lost the argument before it started.
    3-if you want to dispute, do it in court, not on the water, you stand a much better chance of winning parts of your argument that way.
    Ye but I was real friendly with this cop we sat and talked for 20 minutes about scuba diving and his jetski. Im nice
    to all the marine cops because they are cool with me and I know most of them. Then the prick hands me the ticket I thought wtf you said you were gonna give me a break. I didnt try and dispute anything I just asked him how fast was I allowed to go. The sign says go slow it doesnt say not to get on plane. I think 15 to 20 miles an hour cruising around out in a huge area is pretty slow. If anyone has been to the Jacksonville landing they know how big that area is its a huge bay with 2 big bridges going over it. Now that makes 2 cops Ive asked how fast I can go through there and neither one
    had an answer.

+1
    same thing in down here in Miami....pulled me over (I was doing about 25ish- 30 mph). manatee zone...blah blah blah....got I a ticket even though I told da bi-atch that I was a fellow LEO ...she didn't care... $90 tix....funny thing is that when they were coming to get me, they were doing a good 50++++...

+1
    I also asked him if he was on greenhulk since he said he rides jetski. The dumbass didnt even know what that was and called his jetski a bombadier after looking at my seat. Never heard anyone call them that but since he looked at my seat when I asked what kind he had and he went uhhh bombadier I figured oooooook since it has that on my seat. I think he was lying the whole time

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information